Windows Defender

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For freeware, I like defender better. Ad-Aware and the others stopped working after a while (the free editions) and failed to pick up spyware.

I work in IT and have resolved a handful of issues by replacing all anti-spyware apps with Defender. Not always the cure but it's made my life easier.

Good luck,
Scrooge.
:wink:

I've never used it. I'm a computer technician for a college and we provide Symantec Corporate 10.whatever.whatever which is actually an antivirus AND antispyware/adware/malware program all in one. I recommend using a program like this. Having multiple ones, or an antivirus and other antispyware programs can really slow down the computer and even damage the OS (generally only if you have two powerful AV programs running).

When I'm working with student computers that have spyware, typically an updated version of ad-aware run a few times in safe mode does the trick.

I've never installed any program but an antivirus program on my personal computers and I've never had a problem with spyware/adware. The safest measures are running Windows Updates, avoiding peer-to-peer programs and certain freeware, and using common sense when browsing the 'net (and opening e-mails or IMs from people you don't know). The only virus problem I've dealt with at home in years is because my husband tried to get a hacked serial number for a computer game and it was this site loaded with spyware that basically installed a virus on his computer. Afterwards he said he knew it was a dumb idea.

Christ college IT support that has to be hell on earth. I've lost count of how many silly girls have showed me laptops failing to boot Windows because they downloaded too much crap from Kazaa (shiver).

Canadiens1160 said:
Christ college IT support that has to be hell on earth. I've lost count of how many silly girls have showed me laptops failing to boot Windows because they downloaded too much crap from Kazaa (shiver).

Yep, I get about three a day. I'd wager 90% of all the virus/spyware damage done to these computers is because people don't understand how to use a computer. You don't even need spyware or antivirus programs; just use common sense and keep your OS up to date.

Canadiens1160 said:
The best is when you can't recover their data :drool:

Or, the ones where you CAN recover data, and you say "yeah your hard drive is dying, you'll need to backup data, purchase a new drive, and come back" and they get pissed! I want to say honey, you don't want to know how many people have a mechanical problem and nothing can be retrieved. Count your blessings and start burning...

Back
Top Bottom