Windows 8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
Yay or nay?

So far I'm going with "nay".... I'm not going to roll back since my computer is working fine and everything I need installed just fine using Windows 7 versions, but so far all the tweaking I've done has made it look and act *not* like Windows 8. Admittedly, I am resistant to change, but I use a high end, high powered computer not some cheap smartphone or tablet device and I feel like I'm losing brain cells every time I let my computer do Windows 8 stuff, worse than the Mac OS for me (which also drives me insane).

I think a lot of people have this interpretation that Windows 8 is a casual OS when it isn't. A lot of the features of Windows 8 make it easier for power users like myself. I have a very high end computer that I have built myself and is currently more powerful than any laptop I know of on the market. Managing multiple monitors is now supported in-house. Getting to programs becomes more intuitive with less clicking through menus (something that irritates me to no end on OS X). Task manager is more complicated, not less.

My major complaints about the OS is that categories can get a little weird, there aren't a lot of apps yet, and that I did have to spend time tweaking it before using it. However my boot times have drastically improved, I can now have more productivity using multiple monitors (which is where metro becomes a blessing on desktops--I might be irritated if this was on a laptop). Memory management is a lot better. I do like that they got rid of the clutter in the start menu (metro is basically a full screen start menu). I like that it's less clicking and more typing (which since when I work I work in a command line only environment in unix with no UI so to me this isn't a dumbing down of the OS).

My biggest issue with windows 8 so far has been me going "ARGHHHH CHANGE DO NOT WANT I HATE CHANGE".

Edit: this perhaps explains my lack of minding windows 8

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/windows_8_Review?page=0,1

In a single-monitor environment, Metro just doesn’t make a lot of sense. As much as Microsoft tries to fit the square peg in the round hole, Metro is, at its core, an interface made for tablets, not a monitor. For a pair of monitors, however, Metro becomes a pretty ideal combination of a standard Windows 7 desktop and a big-ol’ screen that you can glance at to view useful information in a blown-up, exaggerated fashion.

In other words, Windows 8 reads a lot better in a multi-monitor setup.

It’s great that we no longer have to resort to third-party apps to stretch a single wallpaper image across two desktops—thanks, new Windows 8 personalization settings. Even better, Windows 8 now allows you to set custom backgrounds or slide-show wallpapers for each monitor, and you can even flick off the taskbar—or hide it, if no active apps are open on the display—as you see fit.

Keyboard commands allow you to flick windows back and forth between your monitors—nothing new there for Windows 7 multi-monitor enthusiasts. However, what’s lacking is a way to force Metro to pop up on a specific monitor via key press or, even better, set a single monitor as the “default” recipient of any Windows key action on your keyboard.

I think I'm going to tell my boss I need a tablet device and/or a second monitor in order to continue testing Windows 8 :)

In my experience so far, yes the memory management is better and the Task Manager is nice. I do mine the lack of Start Menu but Start8 took like 10 seconds to find, download, and install and looks just the same. Some of my software isn't working but that's not Microsoft's fault (it's just really annoying for me because I have to find alternatives and in some cases, there really aren't any).

One thing that annoys me is when I drag-and-drop files into a different directory that already has files the same name I no longer have the option to single-click "copy and keep both" like I did in Windows 7. I can keep the original, or replace, or I have to click into a new screen and decide which ones to "copy and keep both". This is something I run into several times a day because of my workflow with photos. I re-name and tag stuff later on but while I'm processing and sorting I don't really care what the file name is (I sort based on date) so I don't care if there are already ten files with the same name, I just want Windows to move the file and add a number to the name if it has to.

Windows 8 new features for advanced users:

.ISO mount support - games, old programs, OS installers, etc.
.VHD support -Run Windows 8 from .VHD, also known as Windows To Go
Animated .GIF support - About time
.PDF support -Metro comes with a PDF reader. This means that if someone wanted to they could develop a single metro app to read any filetype meant to be read in existence.
UI Changes -Feature additions to Windows Explorer's File Transfer/delete, ribbons on the menu bar optional, Task Manager is upgraded, etc.
Win Key controls - Win + PrtSc saves screenshots to %USER%\My Pictures\Screenshots\ automagically as .PNGs.
Microsoft David, Hazel, and Zira -Replacement of MS Anna, previously MS Sam. David is the most realistic MS text-to-speech thus far.
MSE merged with Windows Defender
SmartScreen - Programs installed or run for the first time are run against Microsoft's malicious programs database over a secure protocol—either SSLv3 or TLS 1.0, both secure against any threats that aren't MS. To turn this off, just search "SmartScreen" in Settings.
Tentative list.

Just thought I'd include this.

I don't like the new PDF reader, installed Acrobat Reader X and made it default. Or I should say, I don't like (or don't get?) how it behaves. It opens a PDF and there are no controls for finding words/phrases, jumping to pages, zooming, etc and I couldn't figure out how to exit the app, had to press my Windows button to load my third party Start Menu to get anywhere. I do like the new MSE/Defender combo (or like that it was just there and functioning, didn't have to install anything myself and I was using MSE before anyway).

I don't like the new PDF reader, installed Acrobat Reader X and made it default. Or I should say, I don't like (or don't get?) how it behaves. It opens a PDF and there are no controls for finding words/phrases, jumping to pages, zooming, etc and I couldn't figure out how to exit the app, had to press my Windows button to load my third party Start Menu to get anywhere. I do like the new MSE/Defender combo (or like that it was just there and functioning, didn't have to install anything myself and I was using MSE before anyway).

Alt + F4 closes apps. Alternatively you click and drag the app (a touch movement) to "throw it away. The excitement of the PDF reader is that, since it is made in metro, this shows that in theory anything can be made in metro. This includes a much better one. Programming 3rd party software for Windows is easier now.

Yeah I get that I just personally hate the functionality (or lack thereof). My laptop's keyboard is opposite, so you have to hold the function key to use the F1, F2, etc (whereas normally you hold Fn to use the functions like screen brightness, volume, etc). All those complicated keystrokes and shortcuts aren't really shortcuts when you're used to having all that functionality right there in sight. I'm much faster with my trackpad than my keyboard which I know is backwards from a programmer's perspective but that's just how I use my computer and prefer to keep it that way.

I haven't tried it yet (even though I already downloaded and burned it) because I'm a bit hesitant due to the fact that I'm not crazy about it; I think it looks like a great OS for tablets and I'm sure it works great on mobile devices. But I feel like that's not what I want on my PC. I don't know, I like Windows 7.

I don't see it becoming a mainstream OS, especially in the corporate world - too much retraining involved among other issues. A lot of the advanced features are already available in freewares, etc. The sand boxing is a good feature.

I like using Windows 8. I have it on my laptop and my desktop. I think most businesses never adopt the next operating system, it's always every other one because of installation costs. This never really has anything to do with the quality of the OS itself. XP was widely used but it isn't a very good operating system from a security and functionality standpoint. Many people are using Windows 8 as an excuse to switch to Linux though. :huh:

The more I use it the more I consider rolling back. To me it's working just like Windows 7 with a nifty Task Manager (that is nice but I really don't need) except without some of the functionality. Since it has not been officially released there are a few applications I use daily that I cannot use and cannot replace and this is becoming more of an annoyance, especially since I'm not using this OS any different than Windows 7 (it offers me no advantage). It is faster with some of the basic apps but I have not noticed any better performance, when say editing a dozen high-res photos at a time or having four Creative Suite applications running at once. It's not slower but it's not faster. The bootup time is about the same. Also I'm having a power management problem, every time I correct one thing something else doesn't work properly. These issues aren't Windows 8's fault of course but since the apps and utilities I use aren't all available for 8 yet, since it offers me no other advantage I'm not really seeing the point.

Because I got BSOD'd and had to install a new copy of Windows and my product key was worn off, I bought this. An upgrade is only $40, so I bought the Pro version. I'm really liking it. Definitely worth the upgrade to me. With a smartphone and tablet, my computer is really for web browsing, music listening, and paper typing, and it does these beautifully.

I'm seriously considering taking up Best Buy on this $100 trade in offer on one of the new Thinkpads.

*EDIT* If they're still doing it, can't find anything on it now.

I got a Surface tablet a couple of weeks ago and I am liking Windows 8... Not rushing to update the desktop though as it's not a touchscreen. I am also loving the Surface...after MS' updates, it runs quite smooth and I love the form factor. Never felt much tempted by the iPad or most of the Android tablets, but this one ticked all the boxes.

As much as in am Android fan boy, I am really pleased by my purchase of the HP Split X2 Windows laptop/tablet.

My view on Windows 8 is that if you're on a touchscreen, it's awesome once you figure it out.

As much as in am Android fan boy, I am really pleased by my purchase of the HP Split X2 Windows laptop/tablet.

My view on Windows 8 is that if you're on a touchscreen, it's awesome once you figure it out.

:up:

I picked up a cheap WP8 a month and a half back, and have really enjoyed it. The interface is great, unfortunately the apps are still a little lacking in quality and quantity.

:up:

I picked up a cheap WP8 a month and a half back, and have really enjoyed it. The interface is great, unfortunately the apps are still a little lacking in quality and quantity.

Yep. That's my only complaint as well. I am still working on finding the best solution for Facebook and Twitter. Also, I wish they had a forum app like Tapatalk.

Now that I've spent about two months with my (non-touchscreen) Windows 8 computer, I'm in love. It took some time, but now I feel like it's never been easier to navigate.

Now that I've spent about two months with my (non-touchscreen) Windows 8 computer, I'm in love. It took some time, but now I feel like it's never been easier to navigate.

My wife felt the same way. When I bought her a new laptop, she wanted me to return it that night and find one with Windows 7. Luckily, she was patient and got to know the ins and outs of Windows 8. Now she wouldn't go back, though I do think she'll be appreciative of the 8.1 update coming in October.

I just got my kids a brand new desktop PC with Windows 8 OS. I have to say....i dont see why people are finding it difficult to use. Well....so far, i havent found it so bad.
BUT...i have a question, is there a facilty to make system restore discs, should anything go wrong. Any previous version of windows i have had...upon first boot, has ALWAYS suggested making recovery discs. But it didnt happen with this PC. Im wondering if maybe there is a hidden facility to save you having to make discs?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom