Windows 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Restart and Reboot Yourself
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2009, 08:03 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:53 AM
Windows 7

Is anyone else planning on upgrading to Win7 pretty quickly? I've been running the release candidate for some time along side Ubuntu and OS X, and it runs much more stably than XP SP3 or Vista SP1... I'm looking forward to the RTM version.

Also, for anyone who is interested, in theory, there is a way to get Windows 7 for $16, legally, even now, before it's released, through IEEE. You have to be a student of some science or engineering class technically to join (as I am... uhh... through high school pre-ap physics), but they don't really check this. You have access to a bunch of Microsoft software through that. I haven't tried this, but I might soon. Incidentally, actually, my pre-calculus teacher was the one who originally told me about this.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:25 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:53 AM
Haven't tried it yet. Someone gave me a disc but I just haven't had time. I was a computer science major for about five minutes several years ago and got access to MSDN through that and it was never revoked so I've always had all the free Microsoft stuff (everything but Office, which is now just $10).

Old 08-23-2009, 09:01 AM   #3
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:53 PM
Haven't seen it in yet, but we're offering that free upgrade plan at Staples to customers who buy a computer with Vista Home Premium or above.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:11 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:53 AM
I think I, like most people, will just end up getting it on a new PC.

Looking to replace my five-year-old HP desktop with a microtower or something quiet eventually.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:29 PM   #5
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:53 AM
Once Windows 7 is released, how long does it take before retailers start selling new computers with that OS installed?

Is there a timeframe on when Windows 7 is coming out?

Also, is Vista really that bad? I saw several things online that suggested that a new computer purchased today with Vista is fine, as it's been much improved since first being released.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:34 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Once Windows 7 is released, how long does it take before retailers start selling new computers with that OS installed?

Is there a timeframe on when Windows 7 is coming out?

Also, is Vista really that bad? I saw several things online that suggested that a new computer purchased today with Vista is fine, as it's been much improved since first being released.
Computer manufactures are already getting copies of Windows 7 from Microsoft, so they'll be on shelves at retail stores about the same time as the boxed product. It will be officially released on 22 October; Microsoft finalized the code on 22 July, so it's just being manufactured now.

And I don't like Vista much at all, but part of that is because I don't like the Vista version of Aero. I find it overly heavy and clunky. The Windows 7 version of Aero is another story, though; I really like it.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:27 AM   #7
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

the consensus i've heard is a computer that comes with vista already installed is okay. but it seems to be horrible if you're upgrading from xp.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:42 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

The only problem I've ever had with Vista itself is Aero being a resource hog, but part of that is my problem (over-burdening my computer).
Old 08-26-2009, 11:41 AM   #9
Blue Crack Distributor

Thanks, guys. I put the question out there on Facebook as well, and the consensus there seems to be "no, not that bad if your system is good enough, but windows 7 should be great."

I was originally planning on getting a laptop to replace my desktop next spring with my tax return, but right now I found a deal for 12-months interest free, so I could get a new computer now and pay nothing anyway until next spring if I wanted.

My desktop is 4 years old and not running very fast anymore, and the burner has pretty much died.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:58 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

I would definitely jump straight to Windows 7 if you can. I was going to upgrade my Vista months ago except that we don't have new installers for some of the things I need for work.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:13 PM   #11
Blue Crack Distributor

Okay, thanks for the recommendation. Once the new version is released, I'll start watching for similar deals.

Edit: Would you expect that there will be bumps, bugs and hiccups when Windows 7 is first released? Is that kind of the track record - new OS released, kinks get worked out over the next year or so?

My friend is going to bring his new laptop to work for me so I can peruse it a bit. I'm wondering if it's too much computer for me, as I'm not into watching DVDs or playing games or whatever on the computer. But it sounds like it'll give me what I need, and then some.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:10 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Edit: Would you expect that there will be bumps, bugs and hiccups when Windows 7 is first released? Is that kind of the track record - new OS released, kinks get worked out over the next year or so?
Windows 7 seems very stable to me even in its pre-release form.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:37 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:53 AM
Just as a reminder to those upgrading from XP to 7 or Vista to 7; it is ALWAYS much better to backup your data and wipe your hard drive for a clean install of the new operating system.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:21 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
Just as a reminder to those upgrading from XP to 7 or Vista to 7; it is ALWAYS much better to backup your data and wipe your hard drive for a clean install of the new operating system.
Absolutely.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:35 PM   #15
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

I want to replace my 6 year old HP desktop soon but I dont want to buy a computer with vista on it. Hopefully windows 7 is as good as I'm hearing, I will wait for that. Looks like it will be out officially on Oct. 22.

Tags
operating systems, windows, windows 7