Windows 7 - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Restart and Reboot Yourself
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2009, 10:12 AM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:46 AM
I'm seriously considering upgrading my Vista Home Premium laptop to 7 Home Premium. As a student, I would just have to pay €35 for the upgrade, so that's not a bad deal. I've heard it runs better than Vista, doesn't ask as much if you are really, really sure and again to do what you just wanted to do, everyone, even Windows-sceptics, have been positive about it and I wanted to try it as I might be going to buy it for my PC. Only thing that bothers me is that it requires 16GB (for 32bit) to 20GB (for 64bit) of HDD.
After having seen the differences to Professional I decided that there was nothing I would need, so I would be fine with Home Premium I guess.
Figured that a simple upgrading wouldn't really do the trick. But we all love to re-install Windows and all our favourite programs, don't we?

Old 10-25-2009, 01:53 PM   #32
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:46 PM
if you have a 64-bit processor, you should make the effort to go Win7 64-bit. I noticed a huge difference unpacking RAR files.

i think the dreaded network performance issues in vista are gone in win7 (ie streaming video b/w machines), copying over GBs of data, etc.

plus, win7 has directx 11 for upcoming dx11 games. i'm not sure you will be getting dx11 update for vista, let alone winxp.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:59 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I like the new taskbar plus GUI improvements like snap, shake, "show desktop", wallpaper slideshow, libraries, pinning, more efficient searching (with results preview), cool aero, etc.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:53 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

I just did the shake thing. Kinda rough with a little touch pad!
Old 10-27-2009, 12:00 AM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
I'm seriously considering upgrading my Vista Home Premium laptop to 7 Home Premium. As a student, I would just have to pay €35 for the upgrade, so that's not a bad deal. I've heard it runs better than Vista, doesn't ask as much if you are really, really sure and again to do what you just wanted to do, everyone, even Windows-sceptics, have been positive about it and I wanted to try it as I might be going to buy it for my PC. Only thing that bothers me is that it requires 16GB (for 32bit) to 20GB (for 64bit) of HDD.
After having seen the differences to Professional I decided that there was nothing I would need, so I would be fine with Home Premium I guess.
Figured that a simple upgrading wouldn't really do the trick. But we all love to re-install Windows and all our favourite programs, don't we?
I'm in the same boat, i get a really good price because I'm a student but I'd love to hear more about it before I take the leap. I'm terrified of change.

By the way, I'm on Vista Home Premium on a Lenovo SL400.

Should I go for it?
Old 10-27-2009, 12:03 AM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonchick View Post
I'm in the same boat, i get a really good price because I'm a student but I'd love to hear more about it before I take the leap. I'm terrified of change.

Btw I'm on Vista Home Premium on a Lenovo SL1400.

Should I go for it?
Do it. Windows 7 is so much more stable than Vista. And, if you get a deal, there's no reason not to. We've been running 7 on a few of our computers at work for a couple of months now, and they've all been fine, save for a few very minor things (with networking at our school, specific to us, probably not a big deal for consumers). Oh, and it looks basically the same as Vista, so don't be scared.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:21 PM   #37
The Fly

I got Windows 7 Professional for free from Academic Alliance; boot camped it on my Mac. I haven't used it much since I use my Mac most of the time. Maybe I'll boot into it for a couple days to try it out.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:42 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebloodonelife View Post
Do it. Windows 7 is so much more stable than Vista. And, if you get a deal, there's no reason not to. We've been running 7 on a few of our computers at work for a couple of months now, and they've all been fine, save for a few very minor things (with networking at our school, specific to us, probably not a big deal for consumers). Oh, and it looks basically the same as Vista, so don't be scared.
I agree, and just do a clean install. Some things look nicer than Vista like the task bar and wallpaper slideshows. I did an hour or two of "productive worK" this evening (using lots of spread out data files, etc), and W7 saved me around 15 minutes of tedious searching, browsing, and navigating to read/write files.

Here's a collection of Windows 7 videos (some are 7 seconds):
Windows 7 videos - Microsoft Windows
Old 11-01-2009, 08:59 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebloodonelife View Post
All right so I just bought it. I'll back up my stuff and everything this week and hopefully by next weekend I'll be running Windows 7.

I'll probably just let my dad do the install but any tips on a clean install? How to go about it? etc.? I'm still very nervous about it.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:20 AM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

For a cleanup make sure you have every data backed up you need. If you use Firefox or a mail client, you can also save your profiles and mails stored in them. Later you copy it back in and everything is like you left it. If you feel unsecure use some other storage device so you don't accidentally format the partition that contains your backup.
It's also handy to have all instalation files of the software you will later need somewhere. Especially anti virus software etc. So after installation you can start re-install those programs right away and will have virus protection even before you go online again. Also saves alot of time. Then, before going ahead, have all drivers CDs etc. with you so you won't be searching around for them after that.

That's pretty much it.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:52 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Guys I did it! I'm so proud of myself I didn't even need any help. That wasn't nearly as scary as I thought it would be. I never had any major issues with Vista but I like the feeling of having a brand new computer.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:54 AM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

See, and it didn't even hurt.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:39 PM   #43
Ghost of Love

So you really need 4GB RAM to run the thing?

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you

gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 03:13 AM   #44
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
So you really need 4GB RAM to run the thing?
Runs smooth as silk on my netbook with 1GB of RAM.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:44 PM   #45
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:46 PM
I like how computers always seem so fast when you first get them. Then a few years roll around and they seem really slow.

Tags
operating systems, windows, windows 7