Will a better wireless card improve signal strength?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alisaura

Blue Crack Supplier
Hi folks...

Still having wireless issues. :crack:

The wireless card works cos I've been able to get online through a local unsecured network ( :shh: ) for the last couple of months, but that's no longer an option, and my comp refuses to connect to our own network. We're 99% sure that I'm putting in the right password, but can't be 100% sure because my housemates' comps are both set up to log on automatically and they can't remember for sure whether the password is what they think it is. ( :doh: )

The network was set up by friends of theirs, several years ago.

Anyway, I was never able to get more than one bar of signal from my room for our network, so I lugged my PC into the loungeroom where the modem and router are, and lo and behold, could still only get one bar of signal. My housemate's laptop was right next to my PC and was showing full signal strength. Both machines were approximately 6 feet from the router.

I haven't tried physically connecting to the router with an ethernet cable yet... it's on the list of things to try! (Swearing at it didn't work.)

Is it just that my wireless card is pissweak, and would a better one help?

Could my card and the router simply not like one another, despite being the same brand (Netgear)?

I'm about to give up on the whole wireless lark, except that I think it's a bad idea to have a cable running through the entire length of the house. *L*

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom