Why the iPod is losing its cool - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Restart and Reboot Yourself
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2006, 12:58 AM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:23 PM
The funny thing is that part of that article is arguing that the iPod is trying to appeal to too many different requests by adding features. When compared to most similarly-priced DAPs out there today, however, it's still one of the simplest ones of the bunch.

I bought an iPod because of the way it intergrates with iTunes, because of the fantastic, simple interface, and the nice design.

I'm not a fan of devices that try to do all and be everything to everyone, to be honest - they seem to end up doing a half-assed job at all of their tasks.

Old 09-11-2006, 01:20 AM   #17
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1
Do these MP3 playing phones have miniplug jacks?

What's the battery life like on a MP3 playing phone?

It can't be great, as it'll be doing double time. I would hate to grab my phone in order to make a call, and see the battery is dead from playing music all afternoon.
i can at least attest my phone has a jack for earbuds. although the plug is totally different, so if the earbuds were to die, i'd need to buy them through my phone carrier; i couldn't just buy a new set from anyone.

for my phone it's total crap. i played about two songs once and that sucked up about half my battery.

so for me, even though my phone can play mp3s (and other music file types), i'm sticking with my ipod. i guess these millions of people who are supposedly buying new phones instead of mp3 players always carry some kind of charger with them, because if you think ipod has shitty battery life, phones are even worse for playing music.

Old 09-11-2006, 02:08 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:53 AM
I must say, after I saw a documentary on a particular town in China (don't know the name) where truckloads of discarded electronic equipment get dumped to be manually dismantled by lots of Chinese peasants, who are slowly dying of chemical and lead poisoning, not to mention what it's doing to their environment, I don't have a real want to buy any mp3 player, not to mention I'm going to hold onto my phone until it physically falls apart on me.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:18 AM   #19
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bug
Then buy a walkman for like, 14 bucks.

If I walked about in the streets with a walkman where I live, I'd most likely get lynched. Seriously - they are THAT uncool.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:34 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:23 PM

This is what MP3-enable phones have resurrected. Just ask any 14 year old on a bus or train.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:50 AM   #21
I serve MacPhisto

Local Time: 02:23 PM
Eh, I never really bought into the whole iPod thing... they were never so cutting edge as they were well-marketed, and with iTunes they were supported in a way that surpassed (and still surpasses) the competetion. But, that said, there were comparable products on the market when the iPod was released, there still are comparable products, it's just that noone made a big deal over them. I wasn't really too fond of the iPod because of the interface, which I admit is really cool, but just one big button with slides and subbuttons isn't my thing. Plus the issues with the software installs. And battery failures. Plus the investment of $300+.

Besides, people who love technology are going to own something like that whether they think they're cool or not; technophiles aren't exactly the ones who rank 'coolness' that high on their list of priorities. You give them a sweet machine with high functionality, a sleek design, and relatively new features, and they'll still buy it and rave about it.

So, forgive me if I don't weep a few tears because rich kids will start refusing to spend mommy and daddy's money on an ipod now because 'they aren't cool anymore'.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:37 AM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

This kind of article is a yearly ritual like the articles about how Tylenol can cause liver damage if you take more than the recommended dosage (why are you taking more than what the label says anyway?).

What this article always ignores is the fact that there is no real competitor to the iPod, so if it loses its "coolness," there's still no other option. And if you buy music from the iTunes Music Store, you can't directly use that music in any other player.

I think these kinds of articles are premature, as usual. Market analysts are always looking to be "the one" who predicts the demise of a popular product, and they seem to be quite overeager to do so.

Melon
Old 09-11-2006, 09:26 AM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

My Sony Atrac3plus is doing just fine on the bus. So what if you can only hold 700 MB worth of MP3s on one disc? It didn't come with snazzy white earbuds that stopped working about four months after purchase. It doesn't have an internal battery that expires shortly after the warranty. So it's big and bulky?! It accomplishes the same thing as the iPod at a mere fraction of the price (in fact, it cost about the same as what it would to fix my iPod) with about a thousand times more durability. Speaking from my own experience, I can see why iPod sales might be on the decline. I think it will continue to do well, however, for a few years yet.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:00 AM   #24
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by partygirlvox

I love getting all the album art and everything with it. I miss that, downloading sucks! I want my cd player back!
I feel the same way. However...it's great to get those CDs and then import then onto my iPod so I can have all of my music with me. I love my iPod and use iTunes for music on my computer, but I don't download music. I still buy CDs.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Bonochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 10:19 AM   #25
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick

I feel the same way. However...it's great to get those CDs and then import then onto my iPod so I can have all of my music with me. I love my iPod and use iTunes for music on my computer, but I don't download music. I still buy CDs.
I do the same I've never purchased anything through itunes, I still go to the music store and buy my cds
Old 09-11-2006, 12:48 PM   #26
Blue Crack Distributor

Re: Why the iPod is losing its cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Mofo
'We have heard from some conspiracy theorists that the batteries are made to die soon after the warranty ends.
i believe this from experience

but i still love my iPod
Old 09-11-2006, 05:19 PM   #27
Refugee

Re: Re: Why the iPod is losing its cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

i believe this from experience

but i still love my iPod
which one you had and how long did it lasted, did you buy a new one?
Old 09-11-2006, 08:57 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes

i can at least attest my phone has a jack for earbuds. although the plug is totally different, so if the earbuds were to die, i'd need to buy them through my phone carrier; i couldn't just buy a new set from anyone.

for my phone it's total crap. i played about two songs once and that sucked up about half my battery.

so for me, even though my phone can play mp3s (and other music file types), i'm sticking with my ipod. i guess these millions of people who are supposedly buying new phones instead of mp3 players always carry some kind of charger with them, because if you think ipod has shitty battery life, phones are even worse for playing music.
This is the whole story in a nutshell.

I can travel to my bros house, with 3,500 songs, and connect to his stereo with a standard miniplug.

Sounds like MP3 phones can't do this.

I can also take that iPod with 3,500 tunes, and play it on random for 6 1/2 hours (my iPod is 3 years old) and not have to worry about saving battery power for a phone call.

It's apples and oranges. When they make a MP3 phone that can play music for 6+ hours, and still have enough battery charge for 20 minutes of phone time, then we're at apples to apples.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:04 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Ugh, no CDs dammit. Yeah, a big CD collection is great unless you're a student who moves every 1-2 years. Glad to be completely digital now - WITH a backup hard drive.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:44 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by partygirlvox

If I walked about in the streets with a walkman where I live, I'd most likely get lynched. Seriously - they are THAT uncool.
Well, I guess that's one good thing about living in Hicksville, USA. No one cares if I go for a stroll in the park with my walkman.