Who's bying the iPhone? - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Restart and Reboot Yourself
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2007, 04:29 PM   #76
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje

Why not buy an iPhone? Um, it's $500 plus $60/mo, that's why not.
It's not even the $500 initial cost (this is really only slightly more than the high end Blackberries), but it's the monthly plan. Once you pay taxes on that, you're talking closer to $70, nevermind that this is the most basic plan (most people I know who use Blackberries for business are paying closer to $100).

Even though iPods were initially quite a lot more expensive (I think I paid just over $400 for my 2nd gen one waaaay back when) than they are now, there was no monthly subscription fee. So you can swallow a one-time $400 bill. But how many people are going to be able to afford $500 for the phone + $800 or so more every year for service?

Limited market. If they made iPhones with an iPod and a simple phone (no e-mail service), and let people go on $25/month plans like they do now, well then that would make a huge difference.

Old 07-05-2007, 04:32 PM   #77
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje

Yep. My employer (which is a college) provides the higher ups with Blackberries or Trios or something similar. They'd laugh in our faces if people were asking for iPhones and being serious.
Yeah, but a lot of businesses (most biglaw firms I'm familiar with) simply have a tech budget and they don't care what you buy. So if they give you $500 allowance for a phone, should you choose to get an iPhone and have to pay on top of it to get one, they don't care.

Of course if your business is providing phones, I can't imagine that very many would actually provide iPhones. I think you're right that a lot of them would probably look at you like you've grown a second head.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:39 PM   #78
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Of course if your business is providing phones, I can't imagine that very many would actually provide iPhones. I think you're right that a lot of them would probably look at you like you've grown a second head.
They do provide the phones. The only cell phone I've ever had is the one I have right now through work, so I never use it b/c each team or sub-dept has these shared plans and we can't use those minutes for personal stuff. We don't get to pick our phones, they just hand you a phone pre-programmed with the numbers of all the people you'd need. I got the phone of the guy who I replaced, so I got his number and had to change the voicemail from him to me. The VPs have a bit more choice b/c their own departments (not Information Technology) are supplying their devices, but we use Nextel and Verizon as our providers. No one is going to get an iPhone b/c we have Nextel towers on-campus, nothing from AT&T. Also, no technology budget I know of is going to allocate $500+ per person for a single gadget that as far as I know will not sync with our e-mail and calendaring system. At a small private college, that just is not going to happen.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:47 AM   #79
War Child

Local Time: 05:20 PM
Did you see on the news people are finding out that you can't change, or even take the battery out yourself? You have to mail it back to them and pay $79 plus shipping fees. What a sneaky trick. I'm glad I didn't buy one.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:17 PM   #80
Blue Crack Addict

I guess it's like the iPod.

That would really irritate me as a business person - most people who travel a lot or use their cell phones heavily have 2 batteries so they can swap them often.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:10 PM   #81
Blue Crack Addict

How weird! Yeah, at work we have a stack of batteries and a charger the batteries sit in. I never even charge my own phone, I just take a charged battery (or two) and leave my old one in the charger.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:22 PM   #82
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Butterscotch
Did you see on the news people are finding out that you can't change, or even take the battery out yourself? You have to mail it back to them and pay $79 plus shipping fees. What a sneaky trick. I'm glad I didn't buy one.
Always been this way with iPods. Much like the iPods, I'm sure there's an alternate way to change the battery yourself involving a very thin putty knife and some careful prying.

Most people don't want to go through this, however, including most of the iPhone's target demo, methinks.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:46 PM   #83
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
I imagine they'll make a nano version of it
Haha, vindicated!

Quote:
Apple may introduce a model of its iPhone this year that is 50 percent cheaper than the handsets that went on sale in the U.S. last month, JPMorgan Chase & Co. analyst Kevin Chang said.

The new model, based on Apple's thin iPod Nano, may cost less than $300, Chang said today by telephone from Taipei, citing a patent Apple filed in the U.S. and components suppliers he declined to identify. Apple began sales of two iPhone models priced at $499 and $599 on June 29.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:58 PM   #84
Blue Crack Addict

You win!

Now, if only they'd contract another provider...