What MP3 Player should I buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

I'm not sure, but I have a good feeling they aren't drag-and-drop (which would be another reason I'd get something cheaper with expandable memory).

I've done a little research on the web. It seems you can only drag-and-drop through Itunes, which means that if you happen to be at a computer with no Itunes installed, you cannot transfer files. There are 3rd-part programmes, that you can buy, that can solve this, apparently. :|

Last edited:
I've been looking at the ones on amazon for a copule of days now and still undecided on which to buy. Right now I'm leaning towards the creative brand. I just need if for the gym when I'm on the treadmill, so I don't want to buy a very expensive one. I tend to move faster listening to music than watching t.v.

I done a crap-load of research and the best hard-drive player on the market is the Creative Zen Vision:M. The reasons why I chose it over the ipod are:

1. The screen is 4x better. 262k of colour vs. 64k

2. Video output to Tv is 640x480 instead of 320x240. This was a huge factor for me because I want to be able to hook up my device show pictures/video on a tv.

3. Battery life is better.

4. Has an FM radio. You can actually record songs from the radio.

5. Has a built in microphone for voice recording.

6. Comes in 5 colours.

7. The gui is extremely customizeable. You can change your background to whatever you want.

8. The user interface is very intuitive much like the ipod.

9. This is a huge one: Mass support for video codecs. It supports avi, xvid, divx, mpeg 1234, wmv etc......

10. you can zoom and pan in picture viewing.

11. Has a calendar, contacts, and to do functions that sync with outlook.

12. The sound quality is amazing!

So don't be a follower and get an ipod just because everyone else has one. Do some research and see what's best for you!

You can absolutely access your IPod through Windows, but as a hard drive. You can't drag-and-drop music to your IPod through Windows and have it show up in the IPod context menus, but you can drag-and-drop files to the IPod and use it as an external hard drive.

And the real question should be, why don't the rest of the mp3 companies switch to MP4/M4A like Apple did to keep up with ever-evolving technology?

I done a crap-load of research and the best hard-drive player on the market is the Creative Zen Vision:M. The reasons why I chose it over the ipod are:

1. The screen is 4x better. 262k of colour vs. 64k

2. Video output to Tv is 640x480 instead of 320x240. This was a huge factor for me because I want to be able to hook up my device show pictures/video on a tv.

3. Battery life is better.

4. Has an FM radio. You can actually record songs from the radio.

5. Has a built in microphone for voice recording.

6. Comes in 5 colours.

7. The gui is extremely customizeable. You can change your background to whatever you want.

8. The user interface is very intuitive much like the ipod.

9. This is a huge one: Mass support for video codecs. It supports avi, xvid, divx, mpeg 1234, wmv etc......

10. you can zoom and pan in picture viewing.

11. Has a calendar, contacts, and to do functions that sync with outlook.

12. The sound quality is amazing!

So don't be a follower and get an ipod just because everyone else has one. Do some research and see what's best for you!

Yeah, ipod is possibly best for ease of use, and it is one of the most compact. But it also has the worst sound quality (there was a study on cnet), and probably the worst battery life, and the fewest extra features. And it is more expensive than most comparable mp3 players.

From what I've read, probably the best choice is the Creative Zen Vision:M - see the above post.
The best alternate choices are the Cowon Iaudio:X5 or the Toshiba Gigabeat S.

I have the Iaudio X5. It's interface is a little clunkier (it uses a tiny joystick to navigate, rather than a touch sensitive surface), but it still works fine. The biggest drawback for most is that it does not sort by id3 tags, so you have to organize your files yourself. I actually like this, because I can segregate my music into different folders as I like and can shuffle all my music within that folder, rather than having to deal with inconsistent id3 tags for my mp3s. Cowon has started implementing id3 sorting on their players, but it is uncertain if they will ever add this onto the X5.

The things I like the most are the fact that it is indeed drag and drop, so I can connect to any computer, drag files onto my X5, and immediately play them. No need for 3rd party software. There really are not many other players that can do this now. Maybe iRiver, but it seems they are mostly focusing on small capacity players recently. Anyway, the long battery life is great -35 hours for the extended battery version. The compatibility with so many file formats (wma, mp3, flac, ogg) is great. Sound quality is also one of the best rated.

So overall my Iaudio X5 has been great. The biggest annoyance is that my player has a bug that makes it sometimes stop for no reason when I am playing on random. It may play for hours straight, but eventually it will finish a song and just stop, instead of playing a new song, and I have hit play to start the music up again. I know that other owners have had the same problem, but it is not clear that everyone has this problem. It may be kind of hit or miss. So that is annoying.

Of course, still essentially nothing is gapless like the Rio Carbon was.

If I had to buy a mp3 player now, it would be a toss up between Creative and the Iaudio. The Creative has probably the better interface, but the Iaudio has drag and drop and the ability to organize folders as desired.

It just baffles me why ipod is so popular. There are so many other better players on the market. I guess Apple must have a really great marketing team. Also, itunes is a great piece of software.

U2Man said:
I would wait a few months until Microsoft release their MP3 player that is to compete with (read: eradicate) Ipod.

Prices will fall.

Hey! I was right :dancing:

Hi all, after 4 years of being signed up and not posting (truthfully I forgot I was signed up on Interference)...I'm glad I stumbled on this thread because lately I've been thinking more and more that I really want an mp3 player. I do admit though that the U2 iPod is very tempting. Does anyone have the recent one that came out? Do you like it? Any problems? Pros? Cons?

I mentioned this to a co-worker yesterday and he had said he would not buy an iPod because of the battery problems with them, i.e. that if the battery dies/stops working, you're out of luck. So I then asked some other people with iPods and they've had no problems with theirs and that they heard it was most associated with the earlier generation ones. Any truth to this?

I haven't done a lot of research, I think right now I'm still in the "wanting" an mp3 player stage rather than "needing" one.

Any help is appreciated,

Diana :)

Back
Top Bottom