What kind of laptop are you using? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Restart and Reboot Yourself
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2006, 02:53 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:14 PM
What kind of laptop are you using?

Just curious because I recently had a not-so-good experience with a Sony, whereas the Toshiba and IBM I've used previously never had an issue.

Any thoughts?

Old 08-14-2006, 03:16 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I own a lightweight Acer, which I can't recall having had any issues with. It has served me well at home and while traveling. The price was great as well.

Old 08-14-2006, 03:20 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:14 AM
I'm using an acer too. I recommend.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:21 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:14 PM
BAW and I have a Compac Presario that's been everywhere we've been, airports, local and distant hotels, airplanes, car trunks, its a workhorse and (knock on wood) so very dependable...
Old 08-14-2006, 03:31 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

HP Pavilion zt1000. HPs aren't great, but I've never owned anything but (because they are cheap and widely available) and have never had a problem tech support couldn't help fix within an hour. My laptop is almost 5 years old and is in amazingly good condition. The hard drive is about to die, but it's probably age and environment (it was 115 degree out here for a long time, very humid, stickiness in the computer = not good).

If I were to buy one tomorrow, I'd get a Toshiba satellite. Everything I need at great prices! I used to like IBM/Lenovo but not now that they've moved to Japan I think their tech support is TERRIBLE (we use these standard for our laptops at work so we have to call on a weekly basis).
Old 08-14-2006, 03:40 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

My new laptop is a Toshiba Tecra (it's a business user machine, rather than the Satellite which is more for home owners). So far I'm absolutely loving it.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:57 PM   #7
Refugee

Local Time: 10:14 PM
I have a Mac laptop and I had have this laptop for about 3 years and it is very reliable and has not screwed up once..
Old 08-14-2006, 04:26 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

I thought about a MacBook Pro originally but I can't run ExamSoft and some other things on it so that means I wouldn't be able to write my exams on it at law school which is a big pain in the ass.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:42 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
HP Pavilion zt1000. HPs aren't great, but I've never owned anything but (because they are cheap and widely available) and have never had a problem tech support couldn't help fix within an hour.
I agree with everything except for the Tech Support part. I had called them up to ask a simple yes or no question. Instead of simply answering me they wanted to charge me a freaking $45 one-time service fee! I ended up getting my question answered for free by a kid behind the counter at CompUSA.

I work off of a HP Pavilion zx5078cl In less than a year I had the Hard Drive and Power Adapter die out on me. I've been told that you are not s'posed to leave laptops running 24/7 as the hard drives cannot handle it like regular desktop hard drives. That's probably why it's breaking down on me.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:25 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

A general notebook note:

Quote:
DALLAS - Dell Inc. said Monday it will recall 4.1 million notebook computer batteries because they can overheat and catch fire.

A Dell spokesman said the batteries were made by Sony Corp (NYSE:SNE - news). and placed in notebooks that were shipped between April 1, 2004, and July 18 of this year.
On the news (NBC TV), they also said some HPs and Apples use the same Sony battery as the Dell.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:58 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Cleasai

I agree with everything except for the Tech Support part. I had called them up to ask a simple yes or no question. Instead of simply answering me they wanted to charge me a freaking $45 one-time service fee! I ended up getting my question answered for free by a kid behind the counter at CompUSA.

I work off of a HP Pavilion zx5078cl In less than a year I had the Hard Drive and Power Adapter die out on me. I've been told that you are not s'posed to leave laptops running 24/7 as the hard drives cannot handle it like regular desktop hard drives. That's probably why it's breaking down on me.
I've never called HP tech support. I use the e-mail on their webpage and I've never waited more than an hour for a response. It's faster to e-mail back and forth than to call. They've always given great advice, especially when I tell them I'm a computer technician, they'll skip the obvious stuff and tell me what I really need to hear.

I never turn off my laptop, but I have the discs turn off after a certain period of time and am good with the cooling pad. I even leave it on while I'm transporting it in my backpack. The problem with laptop hard drives is overheating, so yeah well-built desktop with better fans is not endangered by the heat, but as long as you're aware of this and use a cooling pad, there's no reason the hard drive shouldn't last.

The Dell overheating problem is no news to me. I've never met a single Dell laptop user that hasn't complained about overheating causing crashes and random shut-downs. I recommend Dell desktops, but not laptops.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:58 PM   #12
Refugee

Local Time: 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
I thought about a MacBook Pro originally but I can't run ExamSoft and some other things on it so that means I wouldn't be able to write my exams on it at law school which is a big pain in the ass.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:44 AM   #13
Jesus Online

Local Time: 03:14 PM
I have an HP and it's brilliant. But it's new so it'd want to be. It's big, fast, reliable, pretty, thin, huge widescreen, I love it.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:24 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

i have a dell inspiron B130
it's not fancy, but it does what I need it to... never had any trouble with it overheating.
It's weathered 3 months in the Caribbean with no air conditioning... so it's got my seal of approval.

Well, we'll see if it makes it back home alive next week...
Old 08-15-2006, 12:23 PM   #15
genius of compression
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:14 AM
A G4 Powerbook, I really love it. I also have a Dell Inspiron around here somewhere, haven't used it in ages but it was okay for the price I guess. (was around $600 new )

neutral @ interference.com
neutral is offline   Reply With Quote