Weird blue-ish vertical flickering band on left side of new LCD monitor -- help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DreamOutLoud13

Blue Crack Addict
Okay, so my brother just bought a new desktop computer with Vista and everything. An e-machines that came with a nice, big, LCD monitor. Well, since he put the thing together, off and on he's been having a weird vertical flickering band at the left edge of the monitor.

Of course he came to me with the problem, but I don't have any clue what it is, and he's a technophobe himself. I advised him over the phone to unscrew the monitor cable and check the pins, which he did (and which I plan to repeat as soon as I can get over there in person), and besides a bit of styrofoam stuck in there, everything seemed to be normal, and the problem was not fixed. I also tried to get him to adjust his monitor settings, though they all seemed to be correct too (though he said something about getting a message saying they weren't? I don't know, I'm not there.)

Any clue what this is and what can be done to fix it? Is it something absurdly simple like adjusting the settings, or should he just take it back and exchange it?

Any thoughts/expertise would be wildly appreciated. I'll give you cookies.

Get rid of Vista and install Xp. :wink:

Hm, no this sounds more like a monitor hardware prob that has nothing to do with the pc. Could be that the cable is broken, or at least partly not functioning, or that the monitor isn't working correctly. Try using a different cable and see if it still has the problem, if it has then it's the monitor, if it works, it's the cable.

Start with the cable and DVI adapter if he's using one. Try another monitor and see if there's the same result. Could be the monitor but it could easily be the cable, adapter, or any of the pins on either.

No, it's the LCD panel. It's not firing the signal out correctly. This happens from time to time with televisions in my store, there's nothing that can be done. Get a new one.

Back
Top Bottom