Website/Music copyright question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
Is it illegal to have a website play a U2 song (.mid file embedded in the site)? The site is not commercial, nothing for sale.

I'd guess not. Isn't that pretty much the same thing as all the songs playing on everyone's MySpace page and whatnot? :confused:

Technically yes. Copyrighted works shown or played in a public setting without the consent of the owner is illegal. Myspace will actually shut down any music account if they hold/play music if it's not really theirs. You could always keep playing the music until you get a cease and desist letter. :shifty:

That's what I was thinking. I've already been issued a cease and desist over a U2 song, so I'll avoid provoking the RIAA again. Shoot.

This is an interesting subject. Does MySpace pay royalties to the RIAA for all of the copyrighted music people put up on their personal pages?

Canadiens1160 said:
This is an interesting subject. Does MySpace pay royalties to the RIAA for all of the copyrighted music people put up on their personal pages?

I thought that people put up music by going out to the band's page to get the link? For example, my page plays Walk Into The Sun and I had to go to the Dirty Vegas MySpace to get it. Since they had it available, I used it on my page, so it's like they've already given people permission to promote their own music. It's not a clip that I uploaded on my own.

Back
Top Bottom