Water in my laptop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vincent Vega said:
Didn't you save your thesis work anywhere else?

I have most of my data files/stats/analyses saved elsewhere, but not the theoretical work I've done, lit reviews, stuff like that. :sad:

They were supposed to look at it yesterday. I called today, and they still haven't gotten to it. :angry:

I got the verdict a while ago. The computer is a write-off, the motherboard was fried. :( But on the bright side, the hard drive is still good. They're taking that out, and putting it into a case, so it's in essence becoming an external, with everything from my laptop still on it.

And yeah, it was just a tad mortifying when the computer guy pointed out to me that my "Bono" file is 20 gig, so it can't possibly fit onto a disk. :eek: Why the hell didn't I have the foresight to name it something else?? :reject:

VintagePunk said:

And yeah, it was just a tad mortifying when the computer guy pointed out to me that my "Bono" file is 20 gig, so it can't possibly fit onto a disk. :eek: Why the hell didn't I have the foresight to name it something else?? :reject:

Ha Ha!
Nelson-Ha-Ha.jpg

:lmao:

Mine are at least titled 'u2'. So I don't look quite as crazed as you. :tongue:

That sucks about the laptop. :( I'm glad the files survived though :hug:

Maybe someone in your area rents them for a decent price? I know a few places around here do....

Last edited:
My motherboard was fried too but the hard drive was fine, and while I was still in that job they made me buy the laptop (henceforth known as "fucking pricey paperweight") for $314 (after I asked for paperwork) but the hard drive I was able to put in an extra laptop they had so everything was the same. I'm trying to find out how I can get a cheap system board for the FPP now so I can at least get some use out of it, but I don't think they come cheap. Sorry to hear you had the same woes VP :hug:

lol @ the Bono file though.

Bummer.

I've had friends call me trying to get the data off of the drive.

You can buy an adapter that will allow you to connect the laptop drive into your desktop computer (PCMCIA to IDE cable), but this means that you will have to remove the drive from the laptop first.

It's about 10 bucks and it reads like a 2nd drive from your desktop.

Good luck,
'puter Geek.

Lally1011 said:
Bummer.

I've had friends call me trying to get the data off of the drive.

You can buy an adapter that will allow you to connect the laptop drive into your desktop computer (PCMCIA to IDE cable), but this means that you will have to remove the drive from the laptop first.

It's about 10 bucks and it reads like a 2nd drive from your desktop.

Good luck,
'puter Geek.

That's what the plan was.

I went to pick the hard drive up, and just before he handed it to me, he said "let's plug it in and check it again now that it's in the case."

Guess what? :| Of course, it didn't work. He tried it on two different computers, but it was unreadable. Fortunately, when he first started working on it, he grabbed all of the stuff in the my docs folder, with the exception of the infamous Bono file - at 20 gig, he thought it was too big to put on disks, and since the drive seemed to be working, he figured he could just leave the stuff on it and I could access it again from the drive.

So, essentially, I ended up losing all my U2 music and video files (replaceable, but time consuming and a pain in the ass to find again), along with a gazillion bookmarks from over the years, many of which I used for school, and years of school and personal correspondence in my e-mail in and out boxes - irreplaceable, and I'm bummed about it, but overall, it could have been much worse.

Back
Top Bottom