video technology nerds needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
I have a puzzle...

I want to be able to play divx videos (avi) that are on my laptop on a TV. Assume the TV is older, it has RCA connections but is not a hi-def TV. There is a Wii, which connects to the TV via RCA, accepts SD cards, and supposedly plays .avi files (but not the divx files probably b/c of encoding? But it plays .avi files recorded on my camera). The laptop is 3 years old has a VGA and S-video out.

I've tried two things that did not work....

1. I tried an S-video to RCA cable in the laptop. It works but the image is black and white. I Googled and Googled and finally found some hack which involves taking a minuscule piece of copper wire, folding it into the shape of a staple, and inserting it into the S-video port on the laptop along with the cable. This did work, it changed the signal to color but the quality was crappy.

2. I downloaded a freeware program called Wii Video 9 that says it will convert divx avi files to something recognized by Wii. I did several videos, but the Wii did not see the video on the SD card (it did see the pictures I had on there). Also the conversion was making a ~700mb file into a 2+GB file that actually looked much crappier.

As far as I can tell a VGA to RCA adapter is not going to work, the technology just doesn't work that way.

Why can we not play videos or DVDs on a Wii?!? I'm perfectly willing to pay for a legit firmware upgrade or whatever.... :rolleyes:

Nothing to do with gaming, I need some people that know the actual technology (VGA, HDMI, RCA, S-vid, etc).

Well, I looked everywhere for an answer and I just could not find anything for you.
There are many hacks available like this one;
Hack: How to Play DVD Movies on Your Nintendo Wii - PCWorld

or

How to watch DVDs on your Wii

Interesting picture from the hack above;

homebrew_channel_loading_mplayer_final.png

..but I have not tried them.

I have Wii and was extremely disappointed that the video output was by using the composite type of cable, which is the second worst available. At least, it should have been component connections and preferably HDMI to transfer both audio and video at the same time. Generation 2 will probably have it, I hope.

In the end it just seems easier to me to hook the computer up to the TV then to try and make the Wii play DVDs, it just wasn't made to do it.

Fixed. It seems since I originally tried this three operating systems ago (connecting the computer to the TV did NOT work), in the process of upgrading operating systems, the drivers must have gotten better because the adapters that did not work before are now working. :shrug: w00t

Back
Top Bottom