Video help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

waynetravis

Blue Crack Supplier
I downloaded a video thats 40mins at 200MBs

I wanna put it on youtube, so I've been trying to split it into 4 10min pieces.
When I put it into Windows Movie Maker it splits. But when I try to save it I get an error message saying something like:

''Please be sure you have the correct saved location, destination, or enough storage space"

Whne I play it in WMM it says not 'enough storage' too.
Even tried uploading it to google video and redownloading it, but it became 2 seconds long when it uploaded :crazy:

Any ideas? Ta..:D

Sounds like a virtual memory problem, you don't have enough local memory to run the process of playing or saving the movie.

Check the Options->General tab. Set your temporary memory to something other than the same drive of your operating system (and by extension where the paging file is most likely located). Save the output video to yet another drive. Basically when doing video you want to have one drive for letting the operating system run, another drive for the app (Windows Movie) to run and process in, and a third drive to save the output file to. Each of those locations, especially the second two, should have 2-3 times space available of what the output file will be.

So in my case I have C doing my XP, D is my temp storage and E is my final output destination. If I know that my output file will be 1 GB, I make sure I have at least 3 GB available on each of the D and E drives. I always have 3-4 GB free on C, just for good measure.

Hope that helps, it may be overkill but it's what I've found works for me.

My virtual memory is set to 1200+ MB.
And it still doesnt work.

Is it possible the video is protected thats why it splitting and uploading it google made it 2 seconds long??

Hmm...I don't know about the Google thing..But if you think of it, your XP probably eats up 200-300mb alone (unless you're running XP lite)

So without getting too much more into how much RAM and paging file video editing can eat up, honestly I think you are just running a computer that doesn't have enough RAM...WMM is a known hog, and Windows Media isn't much better.

Have you tried playing the video in VLC? it's far less of a memory hog, and plays just about anything. It won't help you split the video, but at least you'll be able to watch it..it's free too ;)

Well it's not really 'just' splitting it per se....anything that modifies the structure of the original video source file will necessitate 'recompiling' the video. Recompling/rendering takes up massive amounts of memory, which you don't seem to have. The 'preview' function in most video editing software is also doing an 'on the fly' recompile to render it viewable for that preview pane, so it too requires a good chunk of memory. More RAM is your solution. :up:

I doubt more ram would help you re-encode a video. sounds more like a copy protection issue, or somthing else.

I used to make DVD's on a P2 450mhz with 256mb ram....(Capturing, Editing, Encoding, and Creating the DVD)

^ Yeah but it's no secret your a uber-genius or something ;)

I don't really know all the ins/outs...I just know that before I upgraded to 2GB Ram I had major issues with speed and hanging when trying to edit/encode larger videos. I changed nothing about the machine, just the RAM, and alot of things got alot easier :up: (p4 1.7 ghz)

Seriously Chris, that must've been sheer murder to do on that type of machine!

Back
Top Bottom