Video Game thread XIV ²: No Prequels Club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a new countdown.

Basic rundown of what's happened, here:

The Survivor 2299; Nuclear winter has come [UPDATED] | TechRaptor

And yes, it's the greatest Avatar ever. I will never spend a Christmas without it. Let's see those crazy eyes up close and personal:

christmas-made-for-tv-movies.jpg

Spike has that video game awards show on Saturday. If it's getting announced before E3, it's happening then.

JT, did you get Premium for BF4? If so, did you try the new map pack yesterday? I had a company holiday party, and didn't get home until 11pm (needless to say, I'm not rushing out the door to get there first thing this morning). I still played 2 of the 4 maps, thought they seemed pretty fun.

Downloading Escape Plan. Not sure when it went in the store, but it wasn't there on Friday.

Excitement!

If you want a good idea of what the new controller can do, and a fun puzzle game at the same time, do NOT pass this up.

I finally stuck an piece of electrical tape over the annoying light on the PS4 controller. I have no idea how that made it all the way through to launch. Do people in Japan not play in dark rooms? Does no one there own plasma televisions?

I finally stuck an piece of electrical tape over the annoying light on the PS4 controller. I have no idea how that made it all the way through to launch. Do people in Japan not play in dark rooms? Does no one there own plasma televisions?

I don't understand the light's purpose. In the beginning, when I was playing Killzone, Travis used the light to mock me when I died, but that's been it so far.

The only time it's actively annoyed me was last night when I had paused Escape Plan to do some work on the computer. Every time I turned around to talk to Travis, this bright white light was shining in the middle of the room (where I had set the controller on the coffee table). Not sure why it wouldn't sleep or something while a game is paused...

The controller is fantastic and I love the unnecessarily huge light. It's to represent who player 1, 2, etc. is, but it doesn't need to be that huge. I think it looks cool though.

I know it's not terribly convenient, but you could just point the light down if it's reflecting off of shit.

Thinking about it...that controller probably has a settings menu I haven't even looked at...I keep meaning to mute the speaker on it sometimes.

There's no way to dim the controller yet, unfortunately. Seems like a really basic fix that can be done in one firmware update.

On the other hand, I about died laughing when I saw that Microsoft still expects us to put fucking double A batteries in our controllers. What year is this?

Isn't the light supposed to work with the camera for some sort of motion capture stuff?

ya. It works the same way the Move wand thingy worked. The light doesn't bother me. When you're holding the controller, it points away anyway, so I hardly notice it. I was even thinking it could be cool to integrate the colours into the games somehow if the light was more visible in your hands

I guess Sony has been mentioning to developers that they can code out the light, so there's that.

On the other hand, I about died laughing when I saw that Microsoft still expects us to put fucking double A batteries in our controllers. What year is this?

A year where every type of AA battery available lasts far longer than the 4 hour PS4 controller? Enloops, anyone?

Which console do you like better so far?

X1's user interface is quite a bit better than PS4's, both in looks and function. PS4's multiplats are all better than X1's in both resolution and performance. In my opinion, the X1's launch exclusives are better than the PS4's.

All that said, I think both are great. The graphics and performance of every game I've played on both systems (aside from COD, which I regret buying) is so much better than present gen games, and these are just launch titles. I honestly can't wait to see how impressive games coming this next year (Infamous, Titanfall, Destiny, etc) will be compared to what we have right now. I'm really happy with both.

A year where every type of AA battery available lasts far longer than the 4 hour PS4 controller? Enloops, anyone?

With this magical invention called a usb cable (Microsoft ought to make use of it at some point), I have the option to play forever plugged in and never have to spend a dime on batteries until I need another $3 cable from eBay a year down the road :dance: Alternatively, their lithium ion takes charges like a champ. I've never noticed any perceivable change in battery life with my PS3 controllers over several years.

I will always take something rechargeable, over double As. Even if it dies in four hours.

Enloops are rechargeable, and you never need to plug your controller into anything for them to charge (or require you to buy an extension like I had to buy, because the one the PS4 comes with is unusable for anyone who games from their couch). It's a non-issue for me, both have pros and cons.

Personally, I can take an hour of sitting 6 feet from my television on the days I choose to game longer than four hours in a row in order to save $30 on shit Microsoft was too cheap to include at launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom