Video Game thread XIV ²: No Prequels Club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, in retrospect 5 is pretty good. I just find this new one to be incredibly stupid, the camera angles are terrible and the controlls are slow and most of the time I find myself screaming at my TV in frustration because I cant move fast enough or in the direction I need to go.

I upgraded my shotgun mostly. Worked on weapon sway too. I think I also upgraded one of the longer range pistols, but the shotgun was my number one weapon. Toward the end of the game, I started using the bow and arrow more, so on the next play through, I'm going to focus on that.
Did you finish? If not, where are you?

About 55-60% of the way in, I think. Somewhere in
Pittsburgh

I've been primarily using the shotgun since getting it as well. Rifle is really nice too. Did you buy any of the "second holster" spots? If so, how does that work?

I never bought a holster, didn't need one.

I liked the shorty but hated the reload time.

Bow and arrow came in handy, didn't use it that much though.

About 55-60% of the way in, I think. Somewhere in
Pittsburgh

I've been primarily using the shotgun since getting it as well. Rifle is really nice too. Did you buy any of the "second holster" spots? If so, how does that work?

The holster just makes it easier to switch quickly between different long guns and pistols. Instead of having to go through your bag, it's just a direction button on the dpad

I never bought a holster, didn't need one.

I liked the shorty but hated the reload time.

Bow and arrow came in handy, didn't use it that much though.

I found the bow good for taking out clickers from a distance without getting caught. It wasn't until later in the game that I made use of it, which I kinda regret.
I've read a lot of people saying they just snuck past a lot of the infected. I killed every one I saw. What about you guys?

I've been going out of my way to kill every enemy I see. I like how you can mix in a wide variety of styles to do it. Sneak up behind them and choke or stab some guys, shoot some guys, use a pipe on some infected guy's skull, then toss a bomb or molotov into another group. Makes it fun to be able to switch things up so easily.

You have to do headshots with the bow to get one hit kills, right? I haven't used it much.

The strength of the bow depends on whether the enemy is aware of you or not. I've killed a few hunters with an arrow in the back.

I love the different styles of play too. And the melee animations are awesome. The camera shake and tightening of the frame make it all very visceral. Plus, axing a dude in the head, then using your boot to push him off the blade is pretty badass

Axes are in the game? Omg, u spoil entire game. I return my copy tonite.

FYI:
Stalkers and Bloaters are a pain.

The holster just makes it easier to switch quickly between different long guns and pistols. Instead of having to go through your bag, it's just a direction button on the dpad

I found the bow good for taking out clickers from a distance without getting caught. It wasn't until later in the game that I made use of it, which I kinda regret.
I've read a lot of people saying they just snuck past a lot of the infected. I killed every one I saw. What about you guys?

I killed everything in my path.

Kill it with fire

I do, but they still suck. I'm at some part where I have to turn on a generator, and then get overrun by those stalker guys, and one of those bloaters. I know I'm supposed to just run and escape, but I want to kill them all.

I really wish there was some sort of coop in the game. Be it a survival mode or missions like in Uncharted 2 and 3.

Mofo do not read this

JT did you love the flame thrower? Cos I sure as fuck did.

oooooh, yes. Flamethrowers usually suck in games, but this one was awesome. And the flames looked awesome

I do, but they still suck. I'm at some part where I have to turn on a generator, and then get overrun by those stalker guys, and one of those bloaters. I know I'm supposed to just run and escape, but I want to kill them all.

I really wish there was some sort of coop in the game. Be it a survival mode or missions like in Uncharted 2 and 3.

That part spooked the shit out of me. I was trying to sneak around all stealthily, then I suddenly have to make all sorts of noise with the fucking generator. I killed them all without moving from my spot at the generator. I think I used a bunch of pipe bomb things.
There are a few awesome parts like that in the game when you get put into a spot you know isn't going to end well. When I fell down the elevator shaft, I just thought ".......fuck"

I only tried it once, and haven't played since Saturday. That's what I was planning on doing, but was hoping I could maybe manage it running and gunning. We'll see. They've done a good job making you feel secure through sections, and suddenly having all hell break loose without any warning.

There are some incredible sales going on on both 360 and PS3 at the moment. The 360 one is changing daily throughout the weekend. I'll just post a link below for it rather than try to keep up with all the changes:

Xbox Live's Major Nelson � Xbox Live “Ultimate Game Sale” Day 3 :

Some highlights from today's sales: Witcher 2 $10, The Orange Box $5, etc. Many other awesome games, all incredibly cheap. Check the link.

PSN's sale:

There are 2 waves of the sale...
[Sale Price on the left/Sale Price for PS+ Subscribers on the right]

First wave starts today (July 2 - 9):
Batman: Arkham Asylum [PS3] ($9.99 / $5.00)
Call of Duty: Black Ops II [PS3] ($41.99 / $37.79)
Mortal Kombat [PS3] ($9.99 / $5.00)
Mortal Kombat [Vita] ($9.99 / $5.00)
Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands [PS3] ($7.99 / $4.00)
Ratchet & Clank Collection [PS3] ($14.99 / $7.50)
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game [PSN] ($3.99 / $2.00)
Shadow of the Colossus [PS3] ($9.99 / $5.00)
The Amazing Spider-Man [PS3] ($29.99 / $20.99)
The Lord of the Rings: Aragorn’s Quest [PSP] ($4.99 / $2.50)

Second wave is July 9 - 16:
Alice: Madness Returns [PS3] ($7.99 / $4.00)
Fast & Furious: Showdown [PS3] ($31.99 / $23.99)
Fight Night Champion [PS3] ($11.99 / $6.00)
Hitman Trilogy HD [PS3] ($19.99 / $15.99)
Just Cause 2 [PS3] ($9.99 / $7.99)
LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes [PS3] ($14.99 / $7.50)
LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes [Vita] ($9.99 / $5.00)
LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean [PS3] ($9.99 / $5.00)
Lord of the Rings: War in the North [PS3] ($9.99 / $5.00)
Men in Black: Alien Crisis [PS3] ($29.99 / $20.99)
Prince of Persia Classics Trilogy [PS3] ($15.99 / $8.00)
Silent Hill: Book of Memories [Vita] ($14.99 / $7.50)
Star Trek [PS3] ($43.99 / $32.99)
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II [PS3] ($9.99 / $5.00)
The Adventures of TinTin: The Game [PS3] ($19.99 / $10.00)
The Simpsons Arcade Game [PSN] ($6.99 / $4.89)
Tron Evolution [PSP] ($7.99 / $4.00)
X-Men [PSN] ($6.99 / $4.89)
All prices in USD

I'm really enjoying The Walking Dead (the Telltale one). Amazing immersion and good story. It's taking me back to the point and click games I used to play in the 1990s. There's not much playing to be done, if you want action and shooting, but it's very well done.

I got the collection at Christmas, but still haven't played it. Hopefully will start it after finishing Last of Us. Looking forward to it, it's supposed to be great.

Rockstar is supposed to be releasing a video of actual gameplay from GTA 5 tomorrow. Hopefully it's one of those featurette things like they released every few weeks leading up to Red Dead Redemption.

And me running away from terrifying circumstances near a cabin, leaving my friends to die.

I got the collection at Christmas, but still haven't played it. Hopefully will start it after finishing Last of Us. Looking forward to it, it's supposed to be great.

Should be a good companion to Last of Us (which I want to play soon). It's much more faithful to the graphic novel than the TV series, I think, and I like that they used comic book-inspired graphics.

I really miss point and click games, by the way. I don't think I've ever had as much fun as when I played Day of the Tentacle, all the Monkey Islands, the Gabriel Knight series... so much fun.

I really miss point and click games, by the way. I don't think I've ever had as much fun as when I played Day of the Tentacle, all the Monkey Islands, the Gabriel Knight series... so much fun.

I've shied away from the Walking Dead games because I was worried they were too much like quick time events I just moved forward with button clicks. Do they really compare with the Maniac Mansion games as far as gameplay goes?
I really wish they'd bring back Maniac Mansion

It doesn't really compare, unfortunately. Most of the game is about dialogue and quick decisions. But part of it is about point and click "puzzles" - finding the right object, etc - but they are pretty basic and not something like Maniac Mansion. It's as close to point and click as new games go, which is not to say much.

Character development is pretty good, though.

hmmmmm.... not sure if I should give it a go or not. Sounds like it might not be my thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom