Video Game thread XIV ²: No Prequels Club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't realize she wasn't voicing the character as well. I thought it was weird having her be a character model for two games released in the same year. This makes more sense.

Guys, should I get the "combined" Bioshock 1+2 edition, or is it better to go for separate ones. It doesn't make much difference in terms of price. Not sure if there are downsides in the combined version...

After just watching the Microsoft press conference, I think COD's days are pretty much over as the biggest gaming franchise. Pretty much every shooter that's been shown for the new consoles looks better than COD: Ghosts. Titanfall looks fantastic. Battlefield looks fantastic. Halo at 60 frames per second. Etc., etc., etc.

Say what you will about the console reveal, Microsoft's E3 conference was one of the best I've ever seen. Look forward to EA's, Ubisoft's, and Sony's. Should be lots of cool stuff.

Only a failing console would push CoD that hard anyway. It's going to be out for like 7338392929 other systems, and will look better on PC.

I can't find a video to watch the press conference retroactively, so I'm going to have to base my thoughts on fanboy reactions. The gamefaqs poll results are hilariously negative.

Holy shit, this fucker starts at $500? With Kinect built in, of course. Nobody wants that, but too bad.

You can build a much more powerful gaming PC for that much, and it looks like Titanfall will be out on PC.

How dare they sell it for the same amount as last generation's Sony launch price?!

I don't get fanboys.

$500 tends to be the standard price point for new consoles, does anyone remember what the 360 originally sold for when it was first released? I'm pretty sure the PS3 was $499 to start and I even have a feeling the PS2 was the same...

$500 tends to be the standard price point for new consoles, does anyone remember what the 360 originally sold for when it was first released? I'm pretty sure the PS3 was $499 to start and I even have a feeling the PS2 was the same...

$500 is way too much for a base. I remember the launches for most systems up until the PS3 being $200-$300.

Xbox
$299

Xbox 360
US$299.99 (Core) (discontinued)
US$399.99 (Premium - 20 GB) (discontinued)
US$249.99 (Premium - 60 GB) (discontinued)
US$479.99 (Elite) (120 GB)
US$299.99 (Arcade - 256 MB internal memory) (discontinued)
US$199.99 (Arcade - 512 MB internal memory) (discontinued)
US$299.99 ("Super Elite") (250 GB) (discontinued)
US$399.99 (Xbox 360 S - 250 GB + Kinect)
US$299.99 (Xbox 360 S - 250 GB)
US$299.99 (Xbox 360 S - 4 GB internal memory + Kinect)
US$199.99 (Xbox 360 S - 4 GB internal memory)

PS2
$299

PS3
US$499.99 (20 GB)[93] (discontinued)
US$599.99 (60 GB)[93] (discontinued)
US$499.99 (2nd gen 80 GB)[94][95] (discontinued)
US$399.99 (40 GB)[96] (discontinued)
US$399.99 (3rd gen 80 GB) (discontinued)
US$499.99 (160 GB) (discontinued)
US$299.99 (120 GB "Slim") (discontinued)
US$249.99 (160 GB "Slim")[97]
US$349.99 (250 GB "Slim")[98] (discontinued)
US$299.99 (320 GB "Slim")

EDIT:

Wii:A Nintendo Wii costs approximately $250 (the price range is $160-$380).
Wii U:
The base Wii U model comes in white, has a 8GB hard drive and will run you $299.99. The “Deluxe” Wii U model is black, comes with a 32GB hard drive, a copy of Nintendo Land and some other bonuses and will cost $349.99.

A blu-ray player was retailing for hundreds more in 2006 than a Kinect is today and actually had a beneficial impact on the games BUT $500 was a terrible price for PS3 and it significantly impacted their sales early on. With the way the console itself has been received so far, XBox One is going to have a hard time getting off the ground with a price like that, especially when 360 is going to have a lot of the same games for a while.

Fuck Kinect. It's a lame excuse to bump the price up that won't be worth taking advantage of in the next gen. Peripherals should stay peripherals, and I should have a say in whether or not I purchase them. They should have left it optional and let us use the Kinects we bought a year ago (yeah, I own one and rarely use it).

Which was why it lost the Next Gen war.

Anyways, I recognize that Sony base models are always going to cost more now, because they got away with it, basically. But if the PS4 base model is going to be cheaper than the XBOX base model (which is what it's looking like), I don't have much of a question which one I'll be purchasing. The cost of things hasn't gone up exponentially since the XBOX 360 came out, in regards to the cost of tech/games/PCs/Etc. For a system that isn't really looking at improving as a console so much as trying to be a media system, I'm not interested in dropping that much cash when I already have a smart TV.

I'm going to be disappointed but unsurprised if PS4 retails $599 base. We know essentially nothing about the console itself, but nothing they could pack into it is worth that to me, honestly. I just want something sturdy and streamlined with a lot of great games.

It's amusing to me that I'm being labeled a Sony fanboy when I never even bought a PS2. :lol: I was a Nintendo fanboy for years until the games started to slip with GCN. The PS3 library is much more well-rounded and creative than the other systems (though that could change with the PS4, who knows) but I still own a 360 because third party games are 9 times out of 10 better on the 360 than the PS3. The Cell really fucked with developers.

EA should have announced Battlefront last because it dominated everything else in their press conference. Looks totally awesome.

Hahaha 20 second long standing ovation for the "yes, we allow used games" announcement.

EDIT: And it keeps going. Sony has dedicated at least 3 minutes to a "we aren't Microsoft" section. A little cheap, but I appreciate the clarity.

Hahaha 20 second long standing ovation for the "yes, we allow used games" announcement.

EDIT: And it keeps going. Sony has dedicated at least 3 minutes to a "we aren't Microsoft" section. A little cheap, but I appreciate the clarity.

Yet they really glossed over the "multiplayer costs money now, so we are absolutely Microsoft" section. I wonder how many people weren't paying attention and didn't even notice what they'd announced.

I preordered both systems today.

That was "announced" in February. You get so much free shit with a PSN membership that it doesn't really matter (and $10 cheaper than Xbox Live Gold) and if it means the servers are more stable, I'll take it. Microsoft's multiplayer setup was way better, maybe now they'll have an impetus to clean it up.

Sony took a big ole poop on Microsoft.

Official PlayStation Used Game Instructional Video - YouTube

Whatever, in exchange for being patient and waiting for digital distribution, Sony will avoid all the negative PR of Microsoft but ultimately end up at the same point in ~5 years. Saving $5 on used games is kind of a shitty choice anyways so either option didn't bug me too much. And I don't mind the P+ being mandatory for multiplayer since I feel it has a connection to providing the service; it was things like Microsoft double-dipping and making me pay twice for Netflix that annoyed me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom