Video Game thread XIV ²: No Prequels Club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, just read it. Doesn't seem to be written in the same negative tone that the original Bioshock critique I read was. But

"The coin-flip scene represented an ideal point to give the player the decision of calling heads or tails, but Booker is scripted to always call heads. This is done purposefully, as removing player autonomy from this scene tells us it is impossible for a game with scripted elements to be truly player-driven."

I don't think this is correct. You were able to call heads or tails; it wasn't scripted. The coin landing on heads is what was scripted

Which is the whole point of the game, Infinite is partly a commentary on choice in games, games can only ever present the illusion of choice, even something like Mass Effect which made it's name from the choices you could make ended up boiling down to only 3 different scenarios at the end of the 3rd game.

The scene near the end with the multiple light houses and the multiple Bookers and Elizabeths represent other players who have played the game, we may have made different decisions whether to throw the the ball at the couple at the start, get stabbed in the hand or not etc but we all end up in the same place regardless of our choices, like all games we generally have to follow the will of the game designer. It's just something that has been cleverly integrated into the game, the coin toss the choice of choker mean nothing in terms of the game, but you can also give your own meaning to them. For instance the only reason I picked the choker with the bird on it was that I hoped initially that it meant Booker would end up freeing Elizabeth, the game confounded my own expectations on that choice.

Which is the whole point of the game, Infinite is partly a commentary on choice in games, games can only ever present the illusion of choice, even something like Mass Effect which made it's name from the choices you could make ended up boiling down to only 3 different scenarios at the end of the 3rd game.

The scene near the end with the multiple light houses and the multiple Bookers and Elizabeths represent other players who have played the game, we may have made different decisions whether to throw the the ball at the couple at the start, get stabbed in the hand or not etc but we all end up in the same place regardless of our choices, like all games we generally have to follow the will of the game designer. It's just something that has been cleverly integrated into the game, the coin toss the choice of choker mean nothing in terms of the game, but you can also give your own meaning to them. For instance the only reason I picked the choker with the bird on it was that I hoped initially that it meant Booker would end up freeing Elizabeth, the game confounded my own expectations on that choice.

Oh, I know. As a grown ass man, I've spend way too much time thinking about this game. I was just pointing out that guy was was trying to make a point, but misremembered the event he chose to illustrate it

Have any of you played the new Tomb Raider? I bought it yesterday and I'm not really impressed at all. The game starts really abruptly and the prerendered cut scenes are edited to feel like a commercial. And when will developers realize that quick time events are not fun. I don't want to have to press L1 L2 L1 L2 L1 L2 for no reason at one point in the game. It's lame. Hopefully it gets better

I was kicking around the idea of buying it since I heard it was sort of like Uncharted 2, but I hadn't quite reached the tipping point. And impressions like that don't help. Maybe during a power sale or whenever.

I'm surprised you're not liking it, JT. People were head over heels over it on some of the gaming sites I lurk in.

I'm mad I didn't pick up Bioshock last week when it was $50 on Amazon, already jumped back up. Hopefully it will go on sale again quickly.

In fairness, I haven't played for that long yet. There's still plenty of time to change my mind

GTA 5 - Michael Character Trailer - YouTube

GTA 5 - Trevor Character Trailer - YouTube

GTA 5 - Franklin Character Trailer - YouTube

banana.gif

"I ever tell you about Trevor? Major drug dealer, real hillbilly type".

Tell me something I don't know, video game.

DICE is working on a new Star Wars game.... :ohmy: Plllllllease be a Battlefield-esque Star Wars game :pray:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom