Video Game thread XIV ²: No Prequels Club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we're never going to get Fallout: Manchester or GTA Belfast (though it would probably be the best game ever). I'd still like games to travel the world a bit more

2013-12-16_00001.jpg

I'm almost done with school...so...very close...and It's only 9 days until Christmas...come at me Elder Scrolls Anthology.

I was meant to post this beefcake...messing around with a few mods.

2b3cbd54-2f56-448f-bbe0-aadd5f768c13.jpg

Has anyone here played Gone Home? Just finished it. An absolutely beautiful game that has an incredibly gripping and emotional story. I recommend it to anyone looking for something a little different and more narrative-based in their games.

I know we're never going to get Fallout: Manchester or GTA Belfast (though it would probably be the best game ever). I'd still like games to travel the world a bit more

Since reading this post the thought of GTA Belfast has been planted firmly in my head and it will not dislodge.

A few Xbox games arrived today. I really need to start gaming. Tomorrow could be the day.

Battlefield arrived at our home two days ago, but I'm only now actually having the time to play.
It looks really, really good.

Sony charged my account for Borderlands 2 despite being a PS+ member, but after some complaining I managed a refund. In the end, I have the game and content pack, so I pretty much got the game of the year edition for $20. :up: Can't wait to dig into this one finally.

Anyone have the Xbox One yet? How are you liking it? May think about picking it up in a week or two.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

Anyone have the Xbox One yet? How are you liking it? May think about picking it up in a week or two.

I'm having a blast with Ryse, Dead Rising 3, Forza, and Peggle 2. Ryse is actually the only full retail "next gen" game I've actually completed the campaign of. What games are you interested in?

Hahahhaa. I've definitely gone into the menus a couple times by accident from conversations I'm having.

I think I've reached the point where I've completed most of the main single player adventure in GTA 5, and wow, but.....I'm also let down at how parts of the game didn't feel very fleshed out. What's left after completing the main storyline are missions that usually are some variant on "punch the shit out of this dude" and then evade 2-star cops as you make off with his golf clubs or whatever. I was hoping the properties would give a second wind to the game after completing the main story. I want to do some crazy Los Pollos Hermanos business with my properties; take out competitors, expand an empire!

My cab company sends me on pickup missions.

Also, I don't think I can actually enter some of the properties? When you're sinking hundreds of millions into the game the particular paths the game chooses to corral players into confuses me a bit.

I've found myself climbing local buildings around the downtown Los Santos police station and scoping how to create mayhem. Plant some sticky bombs, climb high, set them off, use the sniper rifle to pick off some fuzz, and then jump down into an alley way and peel away in a getaway car. Except.....some of this stuff is hard because ground movement feels limited. You can tell the game is designed for car transit (hooray car mayhem!), and maybe that's fair for something called Grand Theft Auto, but they do include a tennis and yoga simulator? 's not unreasonable, is what I'm saying. Am I looking for an Assassin's Creed game?

True, you wouldn't be wrong to say the heists are covering some of the territory more elaborate than "shoot up a random street corner", but with smoother ground controls in the game you could start seeing more scenarios appear. I'm imagining combining hopping through residential yards and hiding behind fences combined with a sweet car getaway, but GTA seems pretty confident that I should be toast if I leave a car.

oh yeah, what is going to make Skyrim feel painful in a few more years: no physical acting in the character models. GTA knocks this out of the park. They're not reinventing some of the character types, but it's just amazing what attention to detail will do and how it helps sell what's going on. And it didn't occur to me until just now but they also completely avoided "Bethesda-voice-acting" disease where you start hearing the same actors' voices recycled over and over again.

I wouldn't say Assassin's Creeds controls are much better, you can feel amazing when everything comes off just right. The controls though really lack precision, you end up doing so much that you didn't intend, because either the controls are not responsive enough or it just doesn't interpret what you want to do. Run up a wall you didn't intend, jump or not jump.

Similar beef with the Arkham games, Origins does worse than its predecessors, so many times the targeting of enemies goes awry and you just start punching air.

Anyway i've not played much of GTA V only a bit at my brothers. Never been the biggest fan, i've enjoyed them but i've never thought of them as the wonders of the world. Rockstar just seem so enthrall to every gangster movie ever made it just starts to bug me.

I'm beyond caring about how well they concoct a parody world. The game stuff still seems relatively stuck in the same old design problems. Unenterable buildings and the like. A world that needs to be more reactant to you. I mean your a bunch of guys that are causing untold mayhem, there should be more than just cops chasing you for a bit and then reset when clear.

Saints Row IV feels more honest. Here is a world you can truly mess up, have at it.

A lot of similarish stuff bugged me in Arkham Origins. Stopped playing it quite near the end. I really didn't want to fight Bane for the millionth time with the same mechanics as every other Arkham game. I also got bugged when a run would end because batman seemingly can not step over a large wire or 1ft wall.

Gears of War Rights Acquired By Microsoft Studios, Black Tusk To Develop - Xbox 360 News At XboxAchievements.com

Microsoft Studios has announced that it has acquired the rights to the Gears of War franchise from Epic Games, handing over development duties to Vancouver-based team Black Tusk Studios. What's more, ex-Epic Director of Production and Gears man Rod Fergusson will be joining Microsoft, playing a key role on the series at Black Tusk.

Existing and future Gears of War games, "entertainment experiences" and merchandise all belong to Microsoft hence forth. "The Gears of War franchise has a very strong, passionate and valued fan base on Xbox. Over twenty-two million units have been sold across all Gears of War titles worldwide, grossing over $1bn dollars (US). This franchise, and these fans, are part of the soul of Xbox," said Microsoft Studios boss Phil Spencer.

"By acquiring this franchise, Microsoft Studios will continue to offer them more of their favourite games and entertainment experiences from the Gears of War universe."

Spencer assured Gears fans that Black Tusk taking over the franchise won't compromise future Gears of War titles. "Black Tusk has assembled a world-class team with deep experience and passion for the shooter space, and specifically the Gears of War franchise," he said. "I am extremely confident that under the leadership of Hanno Lemke, Rod Fergusson and our other leaders in the studio, Black Tusk is well equipped to take on the future development of the Gears of War franchise."

"I’m extremely excited to be joining Black Tusk Studios to oversee development on the Gears of War franchise," commented Rod Fergusson. "I’ve been privileged to work on a lot of great games with a lot of great teams, but Gears has had the most impact on me professionally and personally, so this really feels like a homecoming. I can’t wait to share more with you all soon."

Microsoft will be revealing more about a future Gears of War title - presumably for Xbox One - later this year. Epic Games had the following to say on the new deal: “Epic Games has reached an agreement to sell the Gears of War intellectual property rights to Microsoft," the studio stated.

"We’re very proud of the franchise we built in close partnership with Microsoft over the past decade and are happy that this agreement enables Microsoft to forge ahead with the Gears universe on their industry-leading platforms as Epic concentrates its efforts on new projects,” said Epic founder and CEO Tim Sweeney. “Epic remains totally dedicated to supporting Xbox One and is licensing the Unreal Engine 4 technology to Microsoft in support of their future projects.”

Epic VP Mark Rein had the following to say about the agreement on Twitter: "Congratulations to @XboxP3 @GearsViking and all our friends at Microsoft - they’ll take good care of @GearsofWar and we’re excited for them!"

Just payed off thief, South Park stick of truth, infamous second son and metal gear solid V ground zeroes. I should be set for awhile

you're all console gamers, so i suppose the answer is going to be no. but has anyone tried out hearthstone?

I have no idea, I haven't looked into it past realizing I would have to dig up my authenticator from when I used to play wow to even log into anything blizzard-created since it's all through battle.net. And in the time it took me to do that, I found other things to do.

But I've heard good things from a few different people so far.

I've been playing Hearthstone a bit. Easy enough to get into and relatively fun. Not sure on the longevity of it though.

If you're at all a fan of South Park, you'd do well to get the new game. It's basically a love letter to the entire series. And it's funnier than the past few seasons.

Xbox One people (NSW), you definitely should get Titanfall if you have enjoyed multiplayer games in the least in the past. Imps and I played for a few hours together last night and had a blast. The hype and great reviews were definitely accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom