Video Game thread XIV ²: No Prequels Club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, only played for about 30 minutes, because I ended up doing some exercising and it's pretty late, too.

Really LOVE the animation, almost goes without saying. Can't say much about gameplay, yet, as there hasn't been much. LOTS of cut scenes. Though I did play the first boss battle at a Wal-mart last month and I recall it being really fun, sorta different battle system.

Mofo, you were right. Hard Rain was really disappointing. One would think they would have spent a bit more attention to the plot.

Ha. For some reason I keep referring to it as Hard Rain. It wasn't a memorable experience, I guess.

My brother gave me The Last of Us for my birthday. I'm excited to start that tomorrow.

I have not been dedicated to video games lately. I really like the game, just haven't been playing.

2011-09-12-darthvadernooo.jpg

I decided to watch 6 episodes of Breaking Bad rather than play video games again last night. :shh:

A month late, but I finished The Last of Us today. Played for 3 hours or so yesterday, and then for like 7 today. Couldn't stop playing at the end.

I'm shocked I made it this long without anyone spoiling that SLC is in the game. The moment you exit the freeway, they actually recreated a legitimate section of SLC. I loved it. The view of SLC in the background as they watched the giraffes was perfect as well. Very cool.

I loved the graphics in the Wyoming areas, they were beautiful. The horse riding stuff was great too. I didn't really expect the game to end like it did, bummed to see it end. Fantastic game.

Finished yesterday too.

This is probably my favorite game of this generation. I wish it could have been longer, because I definitely didn't want it to end. The game was just so cinematic and compelling. The giraffes scene is as perfect as it can get; that's videogame storytelling at its best. You probably couldn't transmit the same kind of emotion in another medium - there's so much packed into that moment that comes from the immersion and the long journey they were about to finish... Oh, the monkeys were also pretty fun.

The characters were also written amazingly well - you rarely get people as real and relatable as Joel and Ellie. I agree with NSW's interpretation - I never felt Joel was a bad guy; he was just a parent that wouldn't let any harm happen to his child. You can notice the subtle change in his style after he gets her back from his brother. Him lying to Ellie at the very end, to me, showed that he was a good character - he was obviously conflicted, but preferred to carry the "burden" himself in order to protect his girl. And whoever mentioned the banter was right on point - those bits of conversation added a lot to my enjoyment (my favorite was probably when she told him about her airplane dream, or when she asked him to teach her how to swim once they were done).

I liked the ending - and I didn't realize you didn't have a choice until I read your comments. I basically immediately shot the surgeon with the scalpel (but not the other two!), so there was no way to tell.

In terms of gameplay, I really liked that you couldn't get ammo all that easily. I always seemed to have like 3 or 4 bullets left in each gun. This helped with the immersion and realism, and you really have to think about your tactic according to what you have available. I liked that enemies were a bit more sophisticated than usual (like how they would beg for their lives if you are about to kill them). Again, it made the whole think more realistic.

My problems with the giraffes: This segment takes place in SLC in spring, 20 years after the outbreak (might be 21, actually). Giraffes from the local zoo (which I assume they were supposed to be from, since you see posters in the SLC area about giraffes at the zoo shortly before that scene) would have died the very first winter they had without being kept inside, let alone survive 20+ winters, in Utah.

Scene was still cool. Just being nitpicky. :wink:

Taking a few days off before the grind of the job hunt begins, played through Journey today. It was really great. I actually loved Flower, but for some reason had a hard time believing that $15 for a 2 hour-ish game would be worth it. It definitely was worth it.

Taking a few days off before the grind of the job hunt begins, played through Journey today. It was really great. I actually loved Flower, but for some reason had a hard time believing that $15 for a 2 hour-ish game would be worth it. It definitely was worth it.

:up::up::up:

It doesn't stake out the largest plot of land, but it totally controls what it does.

Games With Gold, August 2013: Play Crackdown and Dead Rising 2 for Free - IGN

Crackdown kicks off August's Games With Gold promotion this month, and will be free for Xbox Live Gold subscribers from August 1-15. Crackdown's open world, super-hero-esque powers, and alluring collectibles made it one of the most interesting and entertaining surprises on Xbox 360 when it released in 2007.

On August 16, both Dead Rising 2 and its downloadable prequel episode, Case Zero, will be free for Gold members. Case Zero only lasts a few hours, but it's a great little story setup and introduction to the main game's excellent crafting system, impressive open world, and absurd sense of humor.

Remember, you only need to initiate the download to add these games to your library forever, so even if you're not going to play them right away, it can't hurt to grab them for later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom