Video Game thread XIV ²: No Prequels Club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I started a second play through on Last of Us. One thing I noticed

Maybe I mentioned this before, but the start of the game feels more videogamey than the parts beginning with Bills Town. It almost feels like the designers trying to psych us out a little with typical videogame tropes, then switch it up on us. I know I mentioned the idea that is seemed like there might be supplies vendors that you have to visit, but there were other things. For the first little while, some of the "missions" felt really gamey. "go find Robert". "Get your weapons back". There were others that I can't think of at the moment. It was almost a bit tedious playing through them again. But once Tess dies and we hit Bill's Town, the whole tone of the game switches to being more cinematic. Even though we're doing things like going to find a car battery, it doesn't feel hokey. Anyone else get that feeling?

And something I didn't notice the first time. Probably not really a spoiler

When you grab a guy and take him hostage, I would just choke them out last time. This time I shot one in the head and there was a glorious red mist

I finished Walking Dead this weekend. What a gut wrenching, emotional game. I reiterate my recommendation from last week. I'm glad that Season 2 will come out sometime in the fall, as I want to see how the story continues.

I ordered Heavy Rain, and I will try to finish Mass Effect 2, which I abandoned a few months ago. Good times ahead.

Did you play the 500 Days (I think that's what it's called) thing that just came out and bridges Season 1 and 2?

Can you cancel your Heavy Rain order? Heyo!

Not yet. I'll download it soon and play it closer to the release of Season 2, I think.

Ha - too late for that. From what I read, most people either love it or hate it, so let's see in which camp I'm on. At least it was pretty cheap.

I loved it until I reached the end, at which point I hated every stupid second of it.

Didn't like the ending?

I just thought it was so stupid, and left so many massive plot holes and inconsistencies, that it pretty much ruined the rest of the experience. Mass Effect 3's ending was incredibly fulfilling in comparison.

Assassin's Creed 2 is free on Xbox Live for Gold Subscribers from today to the end of the month.

Nothing says disappointing like critical acclaim paired with massive financial success.

Sleeping Dogs is really cool, Bonoz2012. I think you'll enjoy it for the setting alone.

I'm not sure either of those series were met with the reception their hype expected. AC perhaps more so than fable of course.

But I don't see the relevance. I was disappointed and that's all my comments mean.

I'm enjoying Heavy Rain so far, but two things really annoy me: the voice acting is pretty bad most of the time, and the control system is awful. I never manage to walk in the direction I want to. Otherwise, the story is getting my attention. Getting ready for a disappointing ending, though.

I'm enjoying Heavy Rain so far, but two things really annoy me: the voice acting is pretty bad most of the time, and the control system is awful. I never manage to walk in the direction I want to. Otherwise, the story is getting my attention. Getting ready for a disappointing ending, though.

That was my problem with it. I overlooked how much I hated the controls and acting because I was interested to see where the story would go. When I got there, I immediately remembered how much of a chore it was playing the game.

I watched Ashley play the game, so I feel no need to play it myself, especially with all those complaints about the controls. The voice acting was surprisingly terrible, considering the love that went into the storyline and visuals. It could be a window into the future of gaming like some critics were saying at the time, but it's going to need to feel like an actual game next time.

Btw, I beat Bioshock 1. From the first plasmid, I knew that game would be special. Awesome game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom