Video Game thread XIV ²: No Prequels Club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All that's left for NSW to look forward to after The Last of Us and before consoles TNG arrive:

The next Arkham game

and....

GTA

Blessed GTA. Mofo, Impy, our real life gaming buddies and I are going to wreak so much havoc.

What, you're not excited for another "game" from the maker of Heavy Rain?!

hahaha no sir. I watched a demo of it the other day. It looks like a fucking mess

All that's left for NSW to look forward to after The Last of Us and before consoles TNG arrive:

The next Arkham game

and....

GTA

Blessed GTA. Mofo, Impy, our real life gaming buddies and I are going to wreak so much havoc.

I am looking forward to the new Arkham game; I just pretty much know what to expect, so I'm not super excited. I will buy it the day it comes out however.
Forgot about GTA. When does that one come out?

September.
I just don't expect a deep experience like we got with Infinite and Last of Us, is all. Still, should be fun. I liked fucking around in the free road multiplayer on the last one

Pretty simple: offer an XB1 without Kinect that's $399 and an XB1 with Kinect + a launch title for $499.

Nope. Microsoft is not going to splinter the XB1 audience into Kinect and no-Kinect factions- Microsoft WANTS everyone and every developer to use Kinect, and it'll be harder for developers if they can't count on everyone having it.

Oh, it won't be deep.

It will be shallow.

It will be empty.

It will have little to no meaning or resonance.

It will also be addictive mayhem.

I am ok with this

Nope. Microsoft is not going to splinter the XB1 audience into Kinect and no-Kinect factions- Microsoft WANTS everyone and every developer to use Kinect, and it'll be harder for developers if they can't count on everyone having it.

I can't understand why the manufacturers are so intent on changing the input devices for games. Wii, Kinect, and Move are neat, but they aren't going to change the way people play games. They're gimmicks. It's ok 'just' to rely on controllers. All the rest take you out of the experience. Controllers are unobtrusive enough that they fade into the background while you're playing

Aside from the new Kinect Sports (which I'm admittedly looking forward to, I really enjoy playing those games with my parents and nephews), there aren't really even Kinect games being shown. It seems like their idea for it isn't really obsessed with pushing it as a way to game any more, or at least not a "games that only use Kinect" focus. The tech definitely looks a LOT better than the original Kinect.

If GTA just straight up takes the free roaming coop and challenges stuff from RDR, and implements it into GTA, I'll be a very happy camper. I look forward to Imps finding a way to get all of us into a vehicle, and then killing us.

I can't understand why the manufacturers are so intent on changing the input devices for games. Wii, Kinect, and Move are neat, but they aren't going to change the way people play games. They're gimmicks. It's ok 'just' to rely on controllers. All the rest take you out of the experience. Controllers are unobtrusive enough that they fade into the background while you're playing

The Wii never did it right, was the problem. Games like Resident Evil 4 were revelations, IMO. Playing that game was one of my favorite gaming experiences ever, no joke.

Problem is, most games barely used the motion-sensitivity, and when they did it was shoe-horned in. In those cases, I wanted a controller. I think I played more virtual console games with my classic controller than I did actual Wii games. That was one of my favorite parts about Brawl, was that it accepted the Classic Controller.

I agree about RE4, the Wii controls were great. I enjoyed how they worked in some of the controls in the Mario Galaxy games too, but that's about it. Everything else usually felt awkward.

I kinda like shaking the controller when my flashlight acts up on Last of Us. It's intuitive and doesn't feel super gimmicky.

Motion controls in general are ham fisted. To go from using your fine motor skills to large muscle movements for control of a character is backward

The Kinect would be my favorite, if I had a larger living room. Star Wars Kinect about made my brain explode the first time I force pushed someone.

I follow that guy on Twitter. He consistently says the funniest shit

"Just told the security check at the airport that my name was Ayatollah Bombface LOL I wonder wha"

I look forward to Imps finding a way to get all of us into a vehicle, and then killing us.

dUsvVFY.jpg

I do! What did you think of it in general? What did you think of the ending?

Please, let's talk. Please.

Wow, a U2 reference.

In general: I liked it a lot. Thought it had a nice combo of great story, believable characters, a decent amount of action to keep the lot that needs that happy, and the ability to seek out the firefly tags which I guess appeals to players that like that stuff. Had a few twists that, you kinda knew were coming but were jarring nonetheless. Really enjoyable experience, oh, and creepy at times, too.

The end: I have mixed feelings. Part of me wishes I had to make that choice at the end....save her or let them operate. I would have saved her, for the record but still. I say this assuming there was no way for me to not save her, before I fucked the three surgeons up I stood there for a few seconds and the game did not advance. So, putting that aside....since the game ended the way I'd have chosen it to end, I was pleased. But I could see people that wanted them to sacrifice Ellie for the greater good being upset.

YOU?

Hated it

jk LOL!!!!!!1111

I think story wise, it's the best game I've played this generation. I still love Infinite and think it excels in concepts and world building, but Last of Us surpassed it as far as care and detail go.
At first, I felt like the gameplay lacked, but as I progressed, it felt very natural. They did a great job in not really separating stealth play from run and gun. Whereas most games would have different controls schemes for each (ie press square to hide behind cover. Press triangle to move from one cover spot to the next) I appreciated that the controls where as the are and you can choose to employ them however you want. If you're hiding behind an overturned desk and you want to move to behind a garbage can, you just sneak over like you normally would move. It made the game feel less game-y.
I thought it was a good decision not to give the player choice with the story line. Choice seems to be the style du jour and it was nice to see a developer just create an intelligent, nuanced narrative for us to play within. The very end felt a little bitter, but that's just what they wanted to leave us with. After arguably turning into the bad guy (Joel was ruthless in the last stage), the final act of lying to Ellie's face felt like the final turn. Still, I loved Joel's character and don't feel he's the ultimate bad guy in that world, especially when you consider all the cannibalism and senseless killing.
Thought Ellie was awesome. I felt genuinely protective of her. Loved her banter throughout. She definitely gives Elizabeth a run for her money as far as companion characters go.
I also had no idea Nolan North (aka Nathan Drake) played that total creepshow David. Fabulous job.
One thing I really loved about the game was how the hard hitting, poignant moments were followed immediately by a black screen and the passage of time (when whatshisname turned the gun on himself I was like...holy shit). There's something about the mystery of not really knowing how they made it from that point to where we end up that I found compelling.
If I would make any criticisms, I wish they'd have made more enemy character models; Clickers always looked like the same Clickers (fuck Clickers, amirite? fuck *shiver*), runners looked like runners, etc. And sometimes my companion would obviously be spotted by an enemy, yet it didn't register. Probably a good thing when you consider the alternative, but maybe some clever coding where they never look toward my companion while I'm in cover could've sorted that out without taking me out of the experience.
Overall, I'm blown away.

Oh, and giraffes :sad:

Oh oh, and if you left it for long enough, that dastardly surgeon grabs a scalpel and comes at you bro

JT, I agree with just about everything you say.

I think we differ slightly as it pertains to Joel. I'll preface this by saying I could be very wrong here, and applying a bias....I know that as things wound down, Joel did some dark shit to keep Ellie from harm, but, I didn't see him as a monster, just as a parent who was not going to lose a 2nd child. From the second he took responsibility for Ellie back from his brother, Joel had accepted that this was in fact his new daughter. By the time the end was drawing near, there was not a chance that he'd let anyone sacrifice his child, not for the greater good, not for anything. I think that final lie he tells her is simply his way to help her avoid a lifetime of living with guilt, as she was obviously distressed about the circumstances of their departure from Salt Lake City. Again, just my read, could be way off.

Regarding the variety of the opponents you face, I had no problem with it. Made it feel more realistic to me.

Cannot believe that I did not mention the giraffes in my initial post. When I got to that scene, I had been playing the game for 3 hours straight or so, so I was immersed...which made the appearance of the giraffes all the more striking to me. Very moving, at least to me, and I rarely say that about a video game.

So, yeah, for pure story, this might have been tops for me. I don't think I rolled my eyes once at the dialogue, which is saying something.

Lastly, you're right, giving players choice is more and more common place....and it's a trend I applaud. But, there is something to be said for being lead on an intelligent and thoughtful journey. And since the game offered no early choices either, I guess having one at the end would be silly.

JT, I agree with just about everything you say.

I think we differ slightly as it pertains to Joel. I'll preface this by saying I could be very wrong here, and applying a bias....I know that as things wound down, Joel did some dark shit to keep Ellie from harm, but, I didn't see him as a monster, just as a parent who was not going to lose a 2nd child. From the second he took responsibility for Ellie back from his brother, Joel had accepted that this was in fact his new daughter. By the time the end was drawing near, there was not a chance that he'd let anyone sacrifice his child, not for the greater good, not for anything. I think that final lie he tells her is simply his way to help her avoid a lifetime of living with guilt, as she was obviously distressed about the circumstances of their departure from Salt Lake City. Again, just my read, could be way off.

Regarding the variety of the opponents you face, I had no problem with it. Made it feel more realistic to me.

Cannot believe that I did not mention the giraffes in my initial post. When I got to that scene, I had been playing the game for 3 hours straight or so, so I was immersed...which made the appearance of the giraffes all the more striking to me. Very moving, at least to me, and I rarely say that about a video game.

So, yeah, for pure story, this might have been tops for me. I don't think I rolled my eyes once at the dialogue, which is saying something.

Lastly, you're right, giving players choice is more and more common place....and it's a trend I applaud. But, there is something to be said for being lead on an intelligent and thoughtful journey. And since the game offered no early choices either, I guess having one at the end would be silly.

When I said more models for the enemies, I didn't mean more enemy types; there was actually a point in the school gymnasium when we encounter the first Bloater where I almost had a bad feeling that there were going to be many different types of infected; Bloaters, venom spitters, fliers, etc. Again, that would make it feel too game-y. I just meant that each Clicker should look a bit different since it's a different person who had been infected. The fungus growths should vary and the clothes could be different. A minor gripe, however.

After posting, I thought about it more and I think I actually do lean more toward your way of thinking about Joel. Even if it was for the greater good, the only person who can make that decision is Ellie. The best anyone else can hope to do is try to convince her it would be the right decision, but they didn't bother. So in that sense, you're right that he was justified to take action. I think it's still meant to be morally ambiguous at the end though. Ellie tells him that she more or less considered herself dead already and was just waiting for her turn, so maybe had she been asked, she'd be willing to sacrifice herself. Joel probably wouldn't have been able to handle that, however. And what will Ellie's reaction be if she ever found out? Joel is the only person in her life she trusts

And ya, for the most part, I do like being given some choice, but there's nothing wrong with some good old fashioned linear narrative, especially when it's done this well.

Agreed again with the dialog. Beautifully written. Completely believable. Everyone felt like a real person.

Looking forward to the DLC. I heard a suggestion that it could tell Ish's story. That could be fairly awesome

I haven't played since last Saturday, and think I've forgotten the controls 100%.

Oh, I nearly forgot to mention the shoot outs. Very realistic. Every shot from Joel and the enemies felt measured and deliberate. It's not the typical bullets flying like in pretty much every videogame ever. It felt like people trading bullets and being genuinely afraid of getting shot. I'm not sure I can explain it properly, but the cadence of the gunfire felt real to me

Hey Gaf, one of the models we were shooting at work today looked exactly like Ellie from Last of Us, but she was 20-something years old. Your pantaloons would have exploded

Since I'm getting depressed for let Skyrim go, I'm completely in doubt about getting Bioshock Infinite or The last of us....

And I completely lost all my saves from GTA. I can't even look to that game right now...

So I picked up Resident Evil 6 for $15 thinking it can't be as bad as they say.

Yeah, its terrible. Horrible mechanics, stupid ai, a step back in item managment and skill trees and just a poorly designed game in general.

I am really sad to see this franchise sink so low, 5 was not the greatest but it looks way better compared to this...

Oh, I nearly forgot to mention the shoot outs. Very realistic. Every shot from Joel and the enemies felt measured and deliberate. It's not the typical bullets flying like in pretty much every videogame ever. It felt like people trading bullets and being genuinely afraid of getting shot. I'm not sure I can explain it properly, but the cadence of the gunfire felt real to me

I didn't like the shooting at all at first. Once I did the first "reduce weapon sway" upgrade, things were much better. I saved up and did the second one, and I feel like I can aim even better than in the Uncharted games.

So I picked up Resident Evil 6 for $15 thinking it can't be as bad as they say.

Yeah, its terrible. Horrible mechanics, stupid ai, a step back in item managment and skill trees and just a poorly designed game in general.

I am really sad to see this franchise sink so low, 5 was not the greatest but it looks way better compared to this...

I enjoyed the first few hours I played it, then it started feeling incredibly repetitive and pointless. "Go here for the story. You finally got there? Oh wait, it's actually somewhere else, keep going!" Like you said, the skill trees were super annoying too, as you're WAY too weak from the beginning. Game is like 20 to 30 hours long too, who wants to play a crappy game for that long?

I actually liked RE5 quite a bit. Wasn't RE4, but it was still a lot better than the funky mechanics of the RE games before that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom