Video Game thread XIII: Knights of the Bro Republic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wanted something cheap to play over Thanksgiving break, so I picked up the $20 Uncharted/Uncharted 2 dual pack to see what I've been missing out on. I'm on chapter 3 of the first one. Sometimes I feel like I'm "playing" a movie, one of my least favorite qualities of modern gaming, but I'm extremely fond of the script, environments and platforming. The combat is OK, the sight seems a bit inconsistent, but it's easy enough to pick up and utilize weapons.

I have not played the campaign on Halo 4 yet, but I'm really digging the multiplayer and the episodes.

Knocked it out of the park on Black Friday. My PS3 library is pretty damn good now.

Arkham City
Borderlands
Darksiders
Dead Nation
Demon's Souls
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Fallout 3
Gran Turismo 5
Heavy Rain
Infamous
Infamous 2
Killzone 3
LA Noire
LittleBigPlanet
LittleBigPlanet 2
Madden 09
Madden 11
Madden 13
Madden Head Coach 09
Modern Warfare
Modern Warfare 3
Skate 3
The Sly Collection
Uncharted
Uncharted 2
Uncharted 3

And picked up Dishonored, Red Dead Redemption GOTY and Battlefield 3 for 360, all for about $200 total.

I have not played the campaign on Halo 4 yet, but I'm really digging the multiplayer and the episodes.

The campaign is really great. The story is actually emotional and done very well. I always found it difficult to care about the story in past Halo games, since they were mainly a variation of "stop the Covenant/Flood." This time, the relationship between Chief and Cortana is a big focus point.

The gameplay, level design, weapons and enemies are well-done too.

We rented it for a week when it first came out and Ashley racked up about 50 hours on it so she didn't want to start over on 360. The lag was always a problem back then; it's still a great game, but there is a reason why the PS3 version is 7 points lower on metacritic. There have been multiple patches offered since, so I'll spend some time with it and let you know. Frankly, Skyrim never should have been released when it originally was; Bethesda should have spent another 6 months cleaning it up and offered some unique DLC for it instead of putting Sony users through months of patches and no Dawnguard or Hearthfire. I'm glad I own it anyway.

The campaign is really great. The story is actually emotional and done very well. I always found it difficult to care about the story in past Halo games, since they were mainly a variation of "stop the Covenant/Flood." This time, the relationship between Chief and Cortana is a big focus point.

The gameplay, level design, weapons and enemies are well-done too.

Well this and mofo above make me excited to start campaign. Me and a small group of friends were ignoring it until we can all get together in person on a couple of system linked tvs and play through it all together on legendary the first time through.

Just been playing through the various Assassin's Creeds. The first one came across as pretty much a tech demo, gave up about two hours in as it was deathly boring. The second and so far Brotherhood are so much better, much more variety and Ezio is just a more charismatic and fun character than Altair.

Still the trailer for the first Assassin's Creed is probably still the best i've seen for a game.

After 3 months of no gaming, I am ready to fire up the XBox and the PS3. All I need are some new games. FIFA seems like a foregone conclusion for me after spending all that time in Europe.....but, what the hell else should I get? Recommendations are welcome.

Just been playing through the various Assassin's Creeds. The first one came across as pretty much a tech demo, gave up about two hours in as it was deathly boring.

I bought the first one when it came out, and I agree with you. Very impressive looking, but I zoned out on the story early on. I gave up after I concluded that I had no really good idea of what was going on anymore.

I bought ACIII anyway :huh:

Having never played a Far Cry game (all I ever heard were complaints and annoyances with part 2, and didn't have a PC good enough to play the first one), I'd paid 3 no attention at all. Reviews came out last week, and it presently has the highest Metacritic rating of any game to have come out during the holidays in 2012. After watching this trailer, I think I'm going to have to pick it up.

Far Cry 3 Weapons Trailer [North America] - YouTube

Having never played a Far Cry game (all I ever heard were complaints and annoyances with part 2, and didn't have a PC good enough to play the first one), I'd paid 3 no attention at all. Reviews came out last week, and it presently has the highest Metacritic rating of any game to have come out during the holidays in 2012. After watching this trailer, I think I'm going to have to pick it up.

Far Cry 3 Weapons Trailer [North America] - YouTube

Should I get it?

I ordered FIFA 2013, Borderlands 2 and Dishonored, all should arrive today or tomorrow.

It's an open world game with a huge world where you can pretty much go where ever you want, and kill stuff in awesome ways. I've heard it compared to both Red Dead and Skyrim, so I think it's safe to say that it's probably up our alleys.

It has coop, but sounds like it's unfortunately limited to smaller sized maps / missions, so you can't just wander all over like Red Dead. :sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom