Video Game thread XIII: Knights of the Bro Republic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was some impromptu chainsawing last night. NSW and Popmofo and some of NSW's real life friends might have been involved.

Spin moves were performed.

I went to Florence after playing that game. It's weird to recognize parts of a city without ever having been there, especially when you know how to climb certain buildings.

I felt the same way going to DC earlier this year. My friend was a big Fallout 3 fan as well, so we had many incredibly dorky conversations at famous locations.

I'm still having a blast with Sleeping Dogs. Hopefully some of you guys keep it on your radars for the future, it's a cool game.

Spin moves were performed.

I felt the same way going to DC earlier this year. My friend was a big Fallout 3 fan as well, so we had many incredibly dorky conversations at famous locations.

I'm still having a blast with Sleeping Dogs. Hopefully some of you guys keep it on your radars for the future, it's a cool game.

Honestly, your character emerged into just a portion of my field of vision, and kind of slowly danced/spun his way into the middle of the screen from there. I could not stop laughing, it honestly looked like your character had taken some acid and was dancing at some rave. Unreal.

And same deal for me re: DC. I visited after playing the game and managed to turn these historic locations into video game points of reference.

I'll give Sleeping Dogs a whirl when I get back, methinks.

I'm always late with video games and stuff, so I just started playing Fallout 3 about a week ago. Holy shit, that is one amazing game. I'm a good character, but I'm so torn about choosing not to blow up Megaton that I regret being good.

I got caught in some side missions so far, but yesterday I started the main quest. The shooting around Dupont circle was really fun. Now I need to get to the national mall area, which I'm excited about.

I'm always way behind too, Gump. I had a Fallout 3 avatar earlier this year, despite its follow up being old now.

Fallout 3 is one of my favorite games ever, I'm convinced. I've logged in over 40 hours so far.

Motherfucking fire ants.

I'm always late with video games and stuff, so I just started playing Fallout 3 about a week ago. Holy shit, that is one amazing game. I'm a good character, but I'm so torn about choosing not to blow up Megaton that I regret being good.

Blowing up Megaton is a cinematic you should never miss.

There are very few games where I can't decide whether or not the follow up is better but certainly New Vegas and Fallout 3 are my two favorite games ever, so far. Fallout 3 hold the classic aspect, but New Vegas is so vast and has so much to it.

Also, you can blow up Megaton and still be 'good'. It's not too realistic, but basically if you make every other decision as good you'll be fine ;)

I'm a good character, but I'm so torn about choosing not to blow up Megaton that I regret being good.

Embrace it. Megaton was my home base for the entirety of the game, decision not regretted. Plus, as NSW said, you'll have many opportunities to kill for the common good. :wink:

Fallout 3 is one of my favorite games ever, I'm convinced.

Same.

Last night in Sleeping Dogs in the middle of a large martial arts brawl with a dozen enemies, I tossed a guy through the glass of a huge aquarium. I then picked up a large fish that came out of the aquarium, and beat another enemy to death with it. A few minutes later, I drowned an enemy in a toilet. I like when games reflect my real life.

Yeah, opportunities to blow up people and weird things abound in this game. The freaking fire spiders drove me nuts in the beginning (particularly the noise they make when you are playing with headphones). They've now been all eliminated from the wasteland.

It's still early to pass judgement, but I still think I may slightly prefer the Elder Scrolls series (mainly for the diversity of landscapes and terrain, which makes it a more visually interesting universe to play), but Fallout is a close second. You can't go wrong with either, really.

I agree about that statement if you're comparing Elder Scrolls vs. Fallout 3 in particular, but if you include Fallout: New Vegas, things change a bit.

Both are fantastic games though. Skyrim was great, but I'd still go with Oblivion as a better game there. Between the two most recent Fallouts? Hard to tell. Really is.

LuckyNumber7 said:
Between the two most recent Fallouts? Hard to tell. Really is.

Really? Fallout 3 is probably my favourite video game of all time. New Vegas, on the other hand was pretty disapointing. Aside from the numerous bugs, I found the main story this time not as interesting and a lot of the side missions failed to really keep me motivated, I havent even finished it.

Fallout 3 certainly has the finished product edge, and the classic storyline. It's also the 'original' (Bethsoft original) to the series.

However there are so many additions to New Vegas that would've made 3 so much better. Not to mention that the land is incredibly vast and significantly larger than 3, with much more unique terrain, things to see, etc. It also stays true to the original Fallouts, and has much more gameplay to it.

If New Vegas were to be perfected, it would outright top 3. However, there's no clear, decisive winner between the two simply because New Vegas is imperfect whereas 3 is generally... perfect.

Really? Fallout 3 is probably my favourite video game of all time. New Vegas, on the other hand was pretty disapointing. Aside from the numerous bugs, I found the main story this time not as interesting and a lot of the side missions failed to really keep me motivated, I havent even finished it.

Agreed, 3 is superior....Vegas really disappointed me. I was so looking forward to being immersed and it just didn't happen. But 3, good lord.....

I agree with Elfa and NSW. Tons of memorable moments and locations from 3, I don't remember much of anything about New Vegas. I don't think I like Obsidian much as a developer.

I expected everyone to react that way. Most people are critical of New Vegas.

I dunno, I guess I'm in the minority. I remember tons of locations. There's much more to do, more to see.

Not to mention Hardcore Mode was easily the best single addition that was lacking from 3.

New Vegas costs like $10 now, so I'll check it out once I beat Fallout 3 sufficiently.

The part where you run around with a knife and murder everyone in imaginary whitewashed suburbia is mighty disturbing.

I expected everyone to react that way. Most people are critical of New Vegas.

I dunno, I guess I'm in the minority. I remember tons of locations. There's much more to do, more to see.

Not to mention Hardcore Mode was easily the best single addition that was lacking from 3.

I did still play New Vegas quite a bit, never finished it though. There were a few things I liked that weren't in F3. For the most part though, it felt like what it actually was: A between-year year game made by a lower-level "for hire" developer who's never understood the gaming engines provided to them and always had a mega-ton (heyo!) of glitches in their games. Still was fun.

Speaking of which, I haven't even come close to finishing Skyrim... Haven't played it in quite some time. I really need to throw it in and blast though the main quest after I'm done with Sleeping Dogs.

Call em what you'd like though, but don't forget that the same people making New Vegas are the "originals" if you will...

From a development stance... significantly weaker. From a writing stance, much more true to the Fallout name.

A friend of mine loved it. Did every single quest and side quest possible.

No flower power hippie quests though, so you probably won't like it.

That's why secret world is awesome, I love npcs to death with my beads and flowers....oh wait, I don't do that at all. I shoot them with my pistols and hack the, with my swords. Oops.

I thought I witnessed horrible, horrible crimes against humanity growing up in The Bronx, but it all pales in comparison to some of the things I've seen Mofo do via XBOX Live. Murder....destruction.....murder....more murder......all punctuated with chilling laughter.

I can't wait to fuck up some zombies with my hammer/shotgun combo this weekend.

And I didn't get Chinese democr--I mean diablo III because I just had no interest in it.

I got Guild wars 2, it's been fun so far even with some major bugs, like guilds not working, but think they are mainly fixed now a few days in. Quite like the freedom of not having to primarily be one type of character such as support or crowd control etc. It's nice to be able to switch up between tactics mid battle.

It's the first mmorpg that has ever interested me too, though I do like the look of The Secret World.

Yeah, I heard about a few early problems, glad to hear they're fixing them. I'm not usually into MMORPGs (the few times I attempted to get into WOW were insufferably boring) but this has been on my radar for a long time now. I've gushed about the art direction and Kekai Kotaki earlier, but it also just looks like a ton of fun.

The Secret World also looks good - the modern and non high-fantasy setting is certainly a nice change of pace, and I'm curious to see how it deals with no classes/levelling.

Secret world is really good. You should give it a try. It's nothing like wow. I think you should all come slay zombies with me. Yes. Yes, you should. It's fun, and the ability system blows the wow and any immitation games out of the water. I quit playing swtor, that fucking game is exactly like wow with lightsabers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom