Video Game thread XIII: Knights of the Bro Republic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it's been very quiet.

Here's IGN xbox 360's top 57upcoming:

1. Halo 4
2. Assassin's Creed III
3. Borderlands 2
4. Resident Evil 6
5. Darksiders II
6. Sleeping Dogs
7. Dishonored

To which I'm sure none of these come as a surprise to you guys. As for current releases... stale crap.

I'm always up for a new Halo, so I'll be getting that within the first month or so. Yay for a disposable income for the first time in my life!

I love Halo, so as long as it's not a blunder like Reach, I should be satisfied with whatever they put out.

Don't like Assassin's Creed mainly because the first one left a bad taste.

Definitely don't like Borderlands.

Resident Evil... hell fucking yes. The key to playing the newer Resident Evil games is to only play with someone else. Otherwise, they just aren't that entertaining.

Darksiders... dunno what that is.

Sleeping Dogs... dunno what it is but I heard a lil bit about it potentially being a good game.

Dishonored... I'm a Bethsoft fanboy. I'll play anything that has their name on it. It sounds cool. Just kidding though, I'll wait for a review. But I do legitimately consider games with their name before the rest ;)

AC3 is the first game in the series that I've been really interested in before its release, simply due to the time period. Jumping through forests and hanging redcoats looks like a lot of fun.

I played a bit of the first Darksiders and enjoyed it, but I'm in no hurry to check out the new one unless it gets superb reviews. Sleeping Dogs is sort of in the same bag for me, looks cool but I'm not really keeping an eye on it. Couldn't care less about Halo.

I never finished it, Elfa. The buddy I was playing through it in coop had to start over at one point too. Despite my general hatred of cheating in games, it was one where I stopped playing once they patched the duping glitch. It was a huge help to be able to dupe all your weapons if you're playing as the "knife thrower" character.

Summer is always the dead spot for games. Publishers typically only put out things they're not very confident in (sorta like the first of the year for movies). Max Payne 3 was phenomenal though for anyone who didn't get it. Supposedly that Spec Ops: The Line game is pretty fun too.

Holiday game wise, I'm really looking forward to Assassin's Creed 3, Borderlands 2, Halo 4, and the new Medal of Honor. Hopefully Resident Evil and Black Ops 2 aren't terrible. Regardless, I'm never going to have time to play them all, so maybe I hope they do end up sucking.

A reasonable definition of "in over your head" is Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

tried playing it after beating it once ~4 years ago, and got about an hour in before I just felt embarrassed for the developers. Metroid Prime is essentially a series of room-boxes and a script of text, a perfect concept for a 6th generation console that they produced the hell out of; but once you start interacting with people in the 3rd the whole precipice falls apart. They're not doing exactly the same things, but Mass Effect 3 still renders MP3 instantly obsolete. I tried, I really tried to imagine what the halcyon days of 2008 were and think of it in context, but nothing came.

LuckyNumber7 said:
Yeah, it's been very quiet.

Here's IGN xbox 360's top 57upcoming:

1. Halo 4
2. Assassin's Creed III
3. Borderlands 2
4. Resident Evil 6
5. Darksiders II
6. Sleeping Dogs
7. Dishonored

To which I'm sure none of these come as a surprise to you guys. As for current releases... stale crap.

Out of those games, I'm really looking forward to Halo, AC, and Dishonored. I'll likely buy RE6 but I was disappointed in 5. The multiple types of missions depending on the character certainly intrigues me though.

I just got a new laptop that can run pretty much each game. I downloaded Skyrim. Now I understand why everyone says it's addicting. I've just played for four hours straight and I have the feeling that I haven't done anything. It's so good.

I think I know what I'll be doing the next few days.

IGN gave Sleeping Dogs 8.5, with the only big complaints being the camera and graphics. Everything else sounds really good, with the melee combat and driving being among the best seen in a sandbox game, and the story a standout. 9/10 positive reviews on Metacritic, too. Given the tumultuous development it had, it's pretty great to see it get good reception so far.

I'm really happy to hear it's not overly long as well. You can supposedly finish the main story in around 15 hours, and probably the majority of the side stuff in around 25. That's of course if you don't waste a lot of time exploring, having fun, and causing massive havoc (which I definitely will).

I bought Mortal Kombat on a whim. It's actually a lot of fun and the graphics are pretty wicked

Anyone picked up Darksiders II this past week? It's much better than the first IMO. Combat has more variety, the difficulty doesn't ramp up as absurdly as it did in boss fights in the first game, and Death's journey seems far more interesting just a couple levels into it.

Sleeping Dogs is a ton of fun, really enjoying it. Definitely feels like Hong Kong.

That's awesome!

Earlier interviews [with Todd Howard I believe] pointed towards staying at the Mojave desert/NCR stuff.

I like the idea of a new destination, so that the West doesn't get played out. I really hope the Fallout series is around forever.

Forever.

I would have been more interested in NY or Chicago or LA but they may be a little too big I guess...

There is mention in Fallout 3 (The Pitt dlc, I think) of a city called Ronto.... Toronto perhaps? :hmm:

New York is incredibly cliche for a video game. Don't get me wrong, I'd love it, but I enjoy how they venture outside of the norm with Fallout. I loved DC.

I think a full version of Pittsburgh would be a cool idea from the small sample that they've showed us.

Perhaps international locations would expand the whole Fallout world? Something Southern like a New Orleans would be cool.

The only thing I liked about the one Assassins Creed game I played was running around Florence, especially since I have visited there and recognized some buildings, etc. So, a Fallout that took place overseas would be fine with me. Wandering around post apocalyptic Barcelona or Vienna would be a blast.

I went to Florence after playing that game. It's weird to recognize parts of a city without ever having been there, especially when you know how to climb certain buildings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom