Video Game thread XIII: Knights of the Bro Republic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, like he said, we bought Heavy Rain, and I have a paper and one more final to go until I play it. Can. Not. Fucking. Wait.

Whoa so I jumped back to an earlier save before the point-of-no-return in Mass Effect 3 and did some serious work on cleaning up planets, finding resources, finishing quests, making sure I did as much as I could....

...and it still says success unlikely. I looked it up online and in order to get the best ending without playing any multiplayer, you need to have carried over a save from the original Mass Effect and made the right decisions all the way down the line up to now. I was expecting it to "just" be the equivalent of grinding out 100% in an RPG, i.e, a modest time investment. :doh:

Depending on the ending (expecting the worst, btw), we'll see if I go back and pick up a few multiplayer matches and see if much changes.

You can also use the Mass Effect 3 app to up your system preparedness ratings too.

To be entirely honest, I am completely fine with the endings. Wasn't my favorite ending ever, but I've certainly seen far worse. The internet loves to create drama.

So the Xbox 360 version of Minecraft apparently sold over a million copies in less than a week. Breaking all sorts of Xbox Live Arcade records already. I was one of those million people, and am loving it. Never thought I'd remotely be interested in a game like this, but it's crazily addicting. Wish I would have bought the Mac / PC version ages ago.

Really excited for Max Payne 3 today as well, the first 2 games hold a special place in my gun loving heart.

Are you, Elfa? One of my friends I used to play Diablo 2 with years and years ago did. He texted me this morning asking if I was getting it, said he woke up at 4am to play. Ha. I have a Mac, and there always seem to be issues because of that, so I'm not sure if I will or not. Plus, I feel like I have no idea how to game on computers any more.

You can also use the Mass Effect 3 app to up your system preparedness ratings too.

To be entirely honest, I am completely fine with the endings. Wasn't my favorite ending ever, but I've certainly seen far worse. The internet loves to create drama.

You bring me two pieces of good news. I would feel better about playing multiplayer without the sensation that someone is poking a stick into my back trying to force me into it.

So, like he said, we bought Heavy Rain, and I have a paper and one more final to go until I play it. Can. Not. Fucking. Wait.

And now we bought a new TV so I REALLY can't wait to play it. But alas, I can't find my HDMI cable anywhere. One last trip to Wal-mart.

Forgot about that. It's IOS only though, isn't it?

I felt incredibly unfulfilled when I finished the game, for a lot of reasons, and I'm not going to get into them here. But before I finished it, I thought the internet backlash seemed ridiculous - and I still think it's excessive. I don't think most fans know how lucky they are that Bioware is actually making an extended cut - hell, just having a company that listens to you and has team members posting on twitter/the Bioware forums and interacting with fans all the time is a pretty special thing.

The thing about ME3 is that it was never going to make everyone happy. There were so many variables, so many characters and so many possibilities that it would have been an impossible task. The biggest overarching problem with ME3, though, is that it never really feels like it's even trying to achieve something close to the impossible. The major choices made in prior game barely matter - in some cases, not at all. The squad selection is pissweak - especially if you'd lost Tali and Garrus in ME2. The entire cast of the second game seems brushed aside (come on, surely Miranda at the very least should have had a bigger role because of her connection to the Illusive Man). Cheating on someone results on little more than a slap on the wrist. And those littler things - the considerably larger number of half-assed side missions that result out of eavesdropping while walking past a character as opposed to interacting with them, the lack of "hubs" to explore (the Citadel is the only one), turning EDI into a sexbot... I dunno, I guess my problem is that I was expecting too much, and I really feel that I've learned my lesson.

Mass Effect 3: app edition

well, it's not really a game, although that's to be expected with the free price tag. There are 3 missions in each sector of the galaxy. Each mission takes either 1, 3, or 6 hours to complete, which is accomplished by...waiting. You have two fleets, you point each one at a mission, and then after the time elapses you win some combination of credits and higher galactic readiness. Credits can be invested to either buy more fleets, complete the missions faster, earn bonus readiness for each mission finished, or the awful part, increased "shielding" that keeps a fleet from getting damaged. Occasionally a fleet will finish a mission and then be damaged! After waiting 1-6 hours, you watch another, 30 minute timer tick down before you can dispatch the fleet again.

There are a lot of timers involved.

If you do upgrades, it makes it considerably faster, you get more percentage increase, and can buy more ships. It's just a simple way to up the percentages when you're not playing.

If you do upgrades, it makes it considerably faster, you get more percentage increase, and can buy more ships. It's just a simple way to up the percentages when you're not playing.

Oh I don't mean to give any impression other than that it's good at what it's trying to be (And having the series Codex handy is pretty neat). Just that "surprise! sit in dry dock for another 30 minutes!" feels like someone at EA is trolling me.

The email feature was cool if you were playing the game at the same time. You'd essentially get email from characters in the game after you'd complete missions and conversations about what was going on. Sorta neat.

Max Payne 3 is pretty awesome so far. The abundance of cutscenes will make the game not for everyone (though I'm enjoying them as well at this point), but the gameplay and gunfights themselves are incredible. Awesome to see things exploding around you in slow motion as you gun down your enemies in spectacular fashion. So happy to finally have another sequel in this franchise.

EA 2, mobvok 0.

I put ~4 hours into multiplayer today and raised the galaxy rating from 50 to 73%, so that was pretty efficient work. I got to admit it was pretty fun, although scraping against a coordination ceiling by not having a mike or any preset input commands.

For me, Team Fortress 2 was the platonic ideal of team communication- I played Medic a lot because most teams were grateful just to have one (and with a mike!), and if the team had enough talking players, objective maps like Payload became just insanely intense and awesome strategic fights. I'd probably still be playing that if the local clan I found hadn't broken up.

I want to play Diablo III but I promised I'd wait until Pat was caught up with work so we could play together. :( It's just sitting there on my desk.

Max Payne 3 is pretty awesome so far. The abundance of cutscenes will make the game not for everyone (though I'm enjoying them as well at this point), but the gameplay and gunfights themselves are incredible. Awesome to see things exploding around you in slow motion as you gun down your enemies in spectacular fashion. So happy to finally have another sequel in this franchise.

I'd like to know at some point if you think MP3 would still be a good investment for someone new to the series. Would imagine it would be (while satisfying older fans), considering the distance between games in the franchise, but just curious.

Buy Journey now, if you have $15 and a PS3. It's about 2 hours long, but what's striking is how poised and focused it is in that time. Journey even elegantly ties in a multiplayer component that reinforces the single player- it is very well done.

I finished ME3 two days ago, and thought the final mission was extremely satisfying. The broad mission-based structure of Skyrim or ME3 allow a lot of diversity, but once you get familiar the games can become perhaps a bit predictable in scope. Maybe this is a consequence of the game type, where the ability to create substantial surprises conflicts with the need to let players complete milestones in any order. Skyrim didn't really break out beyond this box even in its endgame, where defeating Alduin felt unremarkably mundane.

The one part tonally in ME3 I didn't think worked stemmed from this, where my impression from the missions was that I was kicking ass across 90 star systems and half the Milky Way, while the game was trying to push me (and ended up having to tell me outright) that the Reapers were the ones winning. This resolved itself on Earth, where Mass Effect could finally focus on a single track and delivered both a gut punch of desperation, and the lively sense that it was uncorking itself/going for broke/cliches and mixed metaphors that describe the ability to surprise.

This carried over to the much derided ending, which I would agree is not simpatico with the rest of the series thematically, but was still crackling, scene-wise. My immediate sense watching the credits role was that I had just Seen Something, albeit what it was I need to spend a little more time figuring out. But ironing out which choice is "right" and whether there was indoctrination is the difference between a good finish and a great finish. Mass Effect 3 was definitely worth it.

I keep forgetting Journey is out. May need to do just that.

Finished Heavy Rain. Can't decide if I want to play it again or just read what all the other plotlines possibly can be, as I have Arkham City begging to be played.

It was a good game, with an awesome idea of a concept, but it needs a lot of work. I hope another game like it comes out, possibly if/when Playstation has a Kinect-like system. In the meanwhile, there were TOO many plot holes, a great lack of explanation and the controls for moving drove me insane.

I agree with your feelings about Heavy Rain 100%, Bonoz2012. One of those weird games where I flew through the game because I was so engrossed in the story, but wound up being crazily disappointed by the time I got to the end. Lots of people out there love it though. Strange what a fuss has been made over something like Mass Effect 3, but a game like this got a free ride on the praise train from a lot of gamers.

Sad Punk, you'd definitely be fine starting with Max Payne 3. You really don't need to know a single thing about the originals to play this, that story arc was completely finished. There's so much story telling and explanation in this as well, that everything that happened in them that you'd need to know is explained. It's a very cool game so far. If you like crime or revenge movies, you'll probably be a big fan.

I agree with your feelings about Heavy Rain 100%, Bonoz2012. One of those weird games where I flew through the game because I was so engrossed in the story, but wound up being crazily disappointed by the time I got to the end. Lots of people out there love it though. Strange what a fuss has been made over something like Mass Effect 3, but a game like this got a free ride on the praise train from a lot of gamers.

Sad Punk, you'd definitely be fine starting with Max Payne 3. You really don't need to know a single thing about the originals to play this, that story arc was completely finished. There's so much story telling and explanation in this as well, that everything that happened in them that you'd need to know is explained. It's a very cool game so far. If you like crime or revenge movies, you'll probably be a big fan.

Heavy Rain is such a weird game in a lot of ways. There are a lot of plot-holes, bad voice-acting and at a certain point you realise that there's only really the illusion of choice and varied consequences. Moreso if you watch the other endings. It gets to the point where the best way to enjoy it is as a playable B-movie, in which case I enjoy it very much so.

I think the situations between the two games are closer than it seems. HR and ME3 have both been critically acclaimed, the latter moreso, but in the former's case there was still a fair bit of professional criticism of the story. Destructoid is still making fun of it to this day. Remember, ME3 is also the last game in a hugely popular trilogy, whereas HR is a lone IP with no real predecessor.

I think it was 1up that said HR had a plot that was better than most movies out today... which is just terrible and I think, in a sentence, sums up how low the standards for game journalism are compared to other media, or at least demonstrates the strange nerdy universe that a lot of game journalists live in.

Thanks for that. I have been following it for a while so that pleases me greatly. Will definitely check it out then. :up:

I know how Heavy Rain fucking ends now, but I can't wait to play it through as a total dickwad. Ashley was a model citizen the whole time.
fap.gif

Infamous 2 is pretty decent. I've got I think 36% completed, and barring an utter collapse I find it to be a modest improvement over the first game in many areas. A lot of the same problems exist (repetition, lack of variety in side missions, a shitty camera), but I love most of the new powers, and that's all I care about, really. The plot is awful, Zeke has almost no personality, and I find it obnoxious that everyone and your grandma has superpowers now, but I would just buy the comics if I had any interest in it anyway. Good game to blow off steam, I must say. You can kill like 130 people in one mission.

I got two characters to the ending (The dad and the girl) because I pushed the wrong button. I could easily have had all three make it but I wasn't thinking straight. I keep meaning to go back to the chapter and make the right choice so all three characters can get there. I keep feeling bad because I didn't do enough at the night club, so Jayden got a bad ending. I really liked him. I loved all of the characters in fact. A part of me really hopes that this story would get turned into a movie some day, because I do think it's an awesome story, plot holes and all.

That's cool. Norman was the only one who made it there in time/saved the day in mine. Ethan was in jail and Madison died in a fire (didn't care for her that much). I like playing as a variety of characters given equal playtime, I wish there was more of that in games.

It is being made into a movie, actually - no idea when/if it'll get off the ground, but there's been something going on there for a while now.

Has anyone seem the previews for that game Sleeping Dogs? It looks like it could end up being kinda awesome

I started a new ME3 file as the default John Shepard and grew creeped out after a while; beyond the space marine aesthetic it felt like he was Michael Jackson midway between being black and white. I started a new file w the comfortable female Shepard this time on Insanity difficulty and realized it will take me approximately 7 years to finish. The combat engineers will be the death of me... again and again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom