Video Game thread XIII: Knights of the Bro Republic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I'm a broke-ass college student and don't really put a massive emphasis on keeping up with gaming, I'm always like two sequels behind on all the major franchises. Just bought Fallout 3 this afternoon so I could have something to play over spring break.

I'm being a brown-nosing crybaby in this run, but boy does my character get fucked over. These birthday presents suck ass.

Noice choice. One of my favs. I'm always behind when it comes to gaming as well. I really want to try Mass Effect, everyone seems to like it

Yeah, Mass Effect seems to get so much rave yet I've never tried it.

Fallout has been my favorite game for quite some time though. Love that game, love the series.

Can you really kill someone with a forklift?

I can't remember what it's officially called, a loader or something like that. It's more or less a forklift though. It's on the Wake Island map, near the jet hangers. There's an achievement / trophy for getting a kill with it, and I seem to get blown up by a tank or helicopter every time I take a cruise in it.

Fallout 3 is one of my fav games as well.

The first 2 Mass Effects were crazily ahead of their time graphically and story wise. They've probably lost quite a bit of the wow factor at this point, but they're still extremely good games. If you like sci-fi and RPG's, it's a pretty safe bet you'll love them.

I'm thinking of buying Mass Effect 2 this weekend in prep for getting ME3, so story-wise (gameplay wise?) I'd like someone to tell me/validate that it's ok I'm skipping the first one (no PS3 version).

There's an interactive comic book at the beginning of ME 2 to fill you in/let you make decisions you would have in the first that carry over

So I finished my current save of ME2 yesterday (god, I love the last couple hours of that game) and started ME3. I'm really, really liking it so far. There's only a small part of it that I find incredibly contrived, but hopefully it won't be showing up too much. Of course, it's released during an incredibly busy time for me and I probably won't be able to play it again for another five weeks, but oh well.

I'm talking about the fucking kid. Developers, stop trying to make us feel sorry for kids in video games. Children in video games are, by nature, hideous creatures.

Mass Effect 2 was far superior to the first one, story wise and gameplay wise, the sidequests in one really irked me especially with the mako sections, worst handling ever. They could have been good if the planets you used it on were interesting and the Mako did what you wanted it to do, but the 2nd game felt a much tighter and focused experience for leaving them out.

GirlsAloudFan said:

A friend of mine got a pretty funny picture of my living room yesterday with our computers all set up playing swtor (there were three of us). Pretty sure your post is the caption for it. But it was a good time. Burritos, beers, and lightsabers.

Alright, so I'm going to go used games hunting tomorrow. Which would you recommend if these three:

Mass Effect
Batman asylum
Alan awake

Thanks bro

elv, do you not like the Fallout series? i loved the first one. heard Vegas is pretty good, though it basically feels like another Fallout 3.

also, PS. The new NBA Jam is awesome.

New Vegas was Fallout 3 in a sense. Same engine, just a new story and new world, etc.

But this is an exception to where normally rehash is bullshit. They really revamped everything that needed revamping, added a ton of fun things that Fallout 3 simply lacked. They made it incredibly dynamic and just an all out huge game.

Fallout 3 certainly gets that 'classic' taste to it with the story and all, so I almost still want to say Fallout 3 was better. New Vegas is like Fallout 3 on crack.

elv, do you not like the Fallout series? i loved the first one. heard Vegas is pretty good, though it basically feels like another Fallout 3.

I believe he just didn't like New Vegas much, which I think was the unanimous feeling here among all the Fallout 3 fanatics (Efla, NSW, myself, etc). It's fine, but I liked Fallout 3 more in pretty much every way (which I guess should be a given, considering Bethesda is a considerably better developer than Obsidian). Got bored of it quickly when it first came out, which was really disappointing at the time. Got into it a little more last summer, but immediately put it aside when big titles came out in the fall. Doubt I'll ever finish it.

ah. it takes me forever to finish video games now that i have a wife and daughter. i just look forward to seeing heads explode for maybe 30 minutes a day.

Vegas had all the bugs from 3 (plus more) and half the charm, imo. Fallout 3 was probably one of my favourite games ever and Vegas was such a huge let down.

I am excited at the thought of Fallout 4 with the skyrim engine though, hopefully they will redeem themselves...

have any of you tried the Batman: Arkham City game yet? i played a couple of missions last night and i am hooked.

I need to finish that game at some point as well.

Despite not loving it as much as 3, New Vegas is still pretty cool (particularly now that most of the initial mess has been patched). I had fun with it last summer.

Apparently the ending to Mass Effect 3 is so bad it actually goes back and retroactively ruins the other 99% of the time you have spent playing through the franchise.

The internet is very, very angry at the moment.

i liked Bioshock quite a bit, but had no ambition to play the 2nd one. i guess i just didn't need to play anymore.

speaking of sequels, i'm playing Fallout: New Vegas. so far, it's alright. i didn't get to play much yet though. i'm anxious to get out of this little town. seems like a good story though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom