Video Game thread XIII: Knights of the Bro Republic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, this kinda breaks my heart a little:

Review: Saints Row: The Third -Destructoid

I'm not always a fan of Jim Sterling, but since he loves SR 2 as much as I do, his points ring pretty true with me. Obviously he doesn't hate it by any means, but there's a few warning signs. The lack of depth in the campaign so we can get whacked up with DLC being a big concern, and the supposed neutering of the main character also worries me a bit. Still can't wait to play it and will hold out on giving my thoughts, but given the shortness of it when I was longing for a nice, chunky single player game, maybe I might reconsider ignoring Skyrim.

Has anyone done the quest in Windhelm where you track down the murderer?

so I come back to the House of Curiosities later after I finished the mission because I never sold the guy the amulet and he won't offer to buy it now, which pissed me off cause it was kind of expensive. So I look around out of boredom and see a chest in his house that can only be opened with a key. Playing around with my pickpocket skills, I steal the key from him and open it. And lo and behold, there's another butcher journal in there, and he's actually the murderer. So I'm thinking, I'll steal it, go to the guard I was working with before, and the game will just give me the dialogue to tell him who actually did it, but, no luck. So, I guess there's nothing to be done about it once the quest is completed. Kinda bummed me out, tbh.

I thought Canadiens was flogging the joke about not seeing the Skyrim folk for months, until I bought the damn thing today and realized how serious he was. I had to tear myself away in order to see some friends I hadn't seen in a long long time. Even then, it was still almost a tossup.

I haven't played an Elder Scrolls game before, (besides watching my friends play Morrowind, getting the impression that everything was rainy and super Turok-level foggy) but it's pushing all the right buttons for free exploration and just screwing around that I'd been medicating with Zelda games up until now.

Speaking of which......after Twilight Princess, I had sworn off bothering paying attention to the console Zeldas, but against my better judgement the torrent of praise for Skyward Sword is so strong that I'm actually hyped up again. It sounds like EAD's changed exactly some of the things that were starting to bug me (like the absurd isolated overworld-dungeon-prize sequence)

Skyrim is so overwhelmingly huge! I'm such a wimp that I can't even make it through Bleak Falls Barrow. And I haven't seen a dragon yet, except at the beginning. It's probably for the best, since I would just die, anyway, at this point. I'm at level 7 right now, so maybe I should try Bleak Falls Barrow again.

There's so much to do, that I just run around getting distracted by salmon jumping upstream and butterflies and cute fluffy cows, until something kills me.

This game is the best game ever. It has all the good points of Morrowind with the conveniences of Oblivion mixed in.

My favorite ridiculous quest from Skyrim so far was stealing a bottle of wine for a drunk hobo. The whole time I was doing it I kept thinking, "so this is what my character's come to :tsk:"

I saw that guy and told him I wouldn't feed his habit. He said we have nothing to discuss anymore.

Got Uncharted 3 today and it is awesome! Just finished the part with
the burning mansion
. So cool. I forgot how much I love the banter between the characters. It's a very charming series.
I'll probably hold off on getting anything else until the holidays, but from the sound of it, Skyrim should be next on my list

Got Uncharted 3 today and it is awesome! Just finished the part with
the burning mansion
. So cool. I forgot how much I love the banter between the characters. It's a very charming series.
I'll probably hold off on getting anything else until the holidays, but from the sound of it, Skyrim should be next on my list

:up:

Great choice, I loved the game. Those games are so consistently solid. We'll have to do some coop sometime.

If you have any remote interest in RPG's or any past Bethesda game, Skyrim is definitely for you.

If you have any remote interest in RPG's or any past Bethesda game, Skyrim is definitely for you.

I've never really played any RPGs and I think it just might be that I think I don't like them. But I like dragons and orcs and creatures though, so I might as well give it a shot. Afterall, I did like these when I was a kid:

protectedimage.php

I know! I had totally forgotten what they were called. Had to do some google-fu. The covers brought back a lot of memories

fighting-fantasysorcery-2010-03.jpg

Specifically Talisman of Death, that first Sorcery one, and Demons of the Deep

Now that I've progressed far enough in the game to the point I'm in the thieves guild, the bards college, have a spouse, and slain a few dragons, I can say I'm really engulfed in this game and not at all frustrated by it. I say that because, with the other games, all the way back to Daggerfall, I never got far enough into them to really feel like I could do anything at any time like I was always wanting. Now I can pick pockets when I want, steal things and sell them to the guild. I've had the dark brotherhood try to assassinate me and some thugs tried to beat me up. I'm having a lot more fun, also, because I don't care as much as I used to about having an untarnished reputation, lol.

So much fun. Taking it back to the video store on Wednesday will be hard.

Sounds awesome... so far all I've encountered is the thugs (and one cleared dungeon) but I'm trying my best to be a responsible student.

That being said I'm gonna go play right now.

I know, I know. There's just been too much new quality lately and I didn't want to be playing anything during the summer

Yeah... fine detail isn't there on the micro (as you would see with most Bethesda Studios games). However, an exception there would be the facial structures and characters. They were well done, and the motions are much more real than in previous Bethesda titles, especially Oblivion.

But on the macro... much like all of their previous releases... extraordinary.

I'm really getting miffed by load times right now. The further into The game I get, the more it lags and the load times have been atrocious.

I've actually never done that, how does it work?

EDIT: Oh wait, I've got a PS3...I think that matters?

"They branded me a..."madman"...[but]...could a pyschopath create a mighty army from the common Skeever?"

He did. It kicked my ass for nearly an hour. Seriously, best (most hilarious) line from the game right there.

Bethesda games notoriously run poorly on PS3.

The graphics are phenomenal for a game of this scope. You can't go into an unbelievably massive game like this expecting the same graphics you'd get in a tiny corridor shooter like Uncharted or Gears.

do not tempt me.

since i quit playing wow, and have another month before star wars...

tempting indeed.

what i really need to do is finish mass effect, since i haven't yet and have spent my non-wow-playing time reading books. i should be quiet, talk like that will get me thrown out of the game thread.

Bethesda gamesMulti-platform titles notoriously run poorly on PS3.
Fixed that for you.

I'm not a fanboy, it just sucks the PS3 has a more complicated development environment that developers don't have time to exploit when making a game for 360, PS, and PC.

If you look at titles exclusively-developed for PS3, they look incredible for a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom