Video Game thread XIII: Knights of the Bro Republic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I'm so awsomely creative with names, my Elder Scrolls characters are always named Rachel (except for one in Morrowind that was named Rach).

What a cheap cocksucker. I would've quit that game about a minute in. Those videos always make me laugh because their voices are always like Cartman's in the World of Warcraft episode

"...to make sure someone doesn't come and shoot me in the back because that's the most annoying thing"

Pretty sure that's not the most annoying thing going on in that video

Oh, and I've gotten past all the unpolishedness of Skyrim. Played it for a while last night and it's pretty awesome. They do a good job of creating an atmosphere with music as you walk around the world. The night time is really quite nice looking (the moon is a nice touch). Anyway, I look forward to my adventures with Keith the Lizardman

It's a horrible idea to start playing skyrim at 2am, right?.... Just a couple minutes

Yes it's a horrible idea. I've been doing it every night on break and I don't wake up until 2pm+ the next day because of it.

Yes it's a horrible idea. I've been doing it every night on break and I don't wake up until 2pm+ the next day because of it.

the first 2 weeks or so with Skyrim were pretty rough. There's always one more quest nearby......usually went to sleep anywhere from 4-5am. 130+ hours into the game now I feel some burnout starting to creep in from the relentless questing. I'm medicating with starting Skyward Sword, which is fine...but leads to panic any time a Zelda NPC suggests a new fetch quest to go on.

now take the following with a grain of salt, because having spent most of the last two years playing Team Fortress 2 my PS3 controller skills atrophied to the point where starting off Skyrim I could barely walk and point my head in the right direction (dual joysticks: harder than you think!)

but I want to throw Skyward Sword's motion control team off a large cliff. Simply walking Link around accurately feels unreasonably difficult, and I've yet to experience anything in the game that justifies the motion swing doodad. Link also looks like a huge dork running around with his sword out (dick innuendo!). It's like someone's pulling him around by the tip of his sword.

the counterpoint is that Zelda and Link's relationship is finally developed to the point where they feel like legitimate characters interacting. still early on Skyward Sword so we'll see where it goes.

I agree with you Mobvok. Sorry I don't frequent this thread with all the Skyrim talk, but I've finished Skyward Sword, and had MAJOR issues with the motion plus. It just doesn't work well for me. I had to use the center button often, and with sword moves most of the time Link made a completely different move from what I did. At one point I went Game Over because I had to hit a certain way and I couldn't get it right.

Now went back to Twilight Princess, and while the sword slashing is much simpler, it is more effective.
The backstory of SS was worth it though, all the things you find out in the end is great.

Friggin 3DS. It's the only system Nintendo has made in ages with decent tech and sleep mode kills the battery.

I think I might rent a Wii system just to play Zelda, then return it afterwards. Maybe during reading break coming up in February :D

Wow, Rage was short. Was not expecting that. However, still enjoyed the game and would recommend it. I still have some races to finish and to find the Doom, Wolf3D and Quake hidden rooms

Short? it's like a 12 to 15 hour game. That's extremely long for a FPS these days, the new COD campaign is 5 hours.

Anyone else excited for Kingdoms of Amular? It's like Skyrim, Fable, and God of War all had a baby.

You guys seriously haven't gotten tired of Nintendo milking every small, incremental portable hardware iteration to death?

They have no respect for the portable market customer. What happened to the company who brought us the Game Boy? They deserve to be obliterated by iOS and Android, to be honest.

I think it's a fab game.. going back through it again.

True that, it's a lot of fun. A very fun "throw back" style of shooting game, with a lot of cool modern ideas added in (big over world, driving, leveling, etc). Fun stuff, definitely worth buying if people see it on sale.

What...is...this?

Todd McFarlane did the character design, RA Salvatore apparently did the writing, and the project lead from Morrowind and Oblivion was brought over from Bethesda to work on this. It has a very cartoony art style, similar to Fable 1, 2, and World of Warcraft. They've made combat very combo heavy and fun, very reminiscent of games like God of War, but combined with a skill tree of RPGs.

This vid shows how combat is handled. Game looks like it could be a lot of fun, hopefully it ends up delivering:

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning Video Game, Inside Reckoning: Combat Trailer HD | Video Clip | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com

You guys seriously haven't gotten tired of Nintendo milking every small, incremental portable hardware iteration to death?

They have no respect for the portable market customer. What happened to the company who brought us the Game Boy? They deserve to be obliterated by iOS and Android, to be honest.

Agreed. Speaking of which, how do you guys think the Vita is going to do here? Sounds like it's had a disappointing launch in Japan.

u2popmofo said:
Todd McFarlane did the character design, RA Salvatore apparently did the writing

On these things, particularly the latter, I was pretty psyched about it. But I'm no fan of micro transaction mmos...

u2popmofo said:
It's not an MMO, and won't have anything like that, so you're good.

Oh right, I've totally mixed it up with the Neverwinter one coming out. Doh. Either Salvatore was involved some way with that, or I was just thinking Neverwinter=Dungeons & Dragons = Salvatore. Probably just the latter. At any rate, I'm going back to Tatooine. :wave:

This vid shows how combat is handled. Game looks like it could be a lot of fun, hopefully it ends up delivering:

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning Video Game, Inside Reckoning: Combat Trailer HD | Video Clip | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com

I had only heard a little of this game, but that vid looks very promising. Any mix of God of War combat with RPG mechanics is something I can get on board with.

I'm really excited for Guild Wars 2 as well, even though I normally dislike MMORPGs. Anyone else feeling the same? The art direction is outstanding: http://www.guildwars2.com/en/media/concept-art/

That's it. After a drunken trip down memory lane, today is the day I rebuy Star Fox Adventures.

I believe the Kingdoms of Amalur demo comes out tomorrow (maybe Wednesday on PS3). FYI, you get some free "in game" unlocks in the final game just for playing the demo, so you may want to check it out if you're interested.

I hate that so many good games are coming out in the next few months, I was hoping for a bunch of time to finally finish my backlog from this holiday. I'm psyched for Kingdoms of Amalur, SSX, Max Payne 3, Alan Wake: Night Springs, Mass Effect 3 (though everything they keep showing looks really blah in comparison to the last 2), Twisted Metal, etc. All of them are out in the next few months. :huh:

Maybe I just haven't been paying enough attention, but there's nothing I'm really excited about coming out soon. I can't think of a single game :(

Well, SSX looks cool and I havent had a snowboarding game since SSX Tricky, so maybe I'll pick up that one

Yeah, definitely one of my favorite games from the last generation of consoles. Had an awesome soundtrack too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom