Video Game thread XIII: Knights of the Bro Republic - Page 20 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Restart and Reboot Yourself
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 08:47 AM   #286
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:54 AM
Well, I finally got around to playing Gears 3. From the first time I put the disc in, I think I played for six hours straight... at least. Fuck, it was good to be back. Finished the campaign today. Only a rental, but I think I badly need to buy it and get online sometime.

I love this thing.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:03 AM   #287
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 06:24 PM
Yes, buy it! Horde & Beast Mode online are fantastic. Awesome game.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:17 AM   #288
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJT View Post
I never really had any issues with the motion controls, if you go a bit too wild with the controller then it did need a bit of re calibration, but once I toned down the wild swinging I had very little issue, except when the batteries needed recharging, plus I found the shield the easiest thing to use. I also found it to have the least padding of all Zelda games, but it's something most games of this ilk are always guilty of, fetch quests blegh.
well for me, the senseless, trolling fetch quests in Skyward Sword feel the most infuriating by far. Wind Waker gets a lot of crap for the Triforce shard quest near the end, but that's one, big digestible segment that can be broken up while completing the last two Temples.

En route to the Fire Sanctuary in Skyward Sword, this sequence occurs:

1) pass by a waterfall
2) find a random flame blocking the path, learn that water can put it out
3) go back to the waterfall, fill your empty bottle with water
4) put out the fire
5) go into the next room, learn there's another flame blocking the next door
6) walk back even further to the original waterfall, fill an empty bottle with water, walk back
7) put out the fire
8) go to the next room/dungeon entrance, find an *even bigger* fire which can only be put out with *lots* more water than available at the waterfall
9) learn that you need to travel back to a completely different region to get an item that can put out the fire
10) travel to that region, swim through some corridors, get the item and have a companion carry it with you
11) COMPLETELY ARBITRARILY AND FOR NO REASON have the game force you to land in a different section of the map far away from your goal, drops enemies along the path back up to where you wanted to go, fail the quest if your companion gets injured, and have the companion follow unnecessarily closely in order to make it more difficult.
12) put out the fire
13) enter the Fire Sanctuary

in exchange for this 20 minute ordeal, we have successfully walked down a corridor.

there is no narrative aspect gained by this. it isn't a puzzle, and there are no gameplay concepts tested besides "can you use an empty bottle?" and "kill enemies the same way you've already done". We don't even learn the surrounding terrain any better, because this happens about 2/3rds of the way through the game and forces backtracking across places we've already been. it's just an aggressive, pointed stalling tactic so IGN will brag about the game having 40 hours of gameplay.

In Ocarina of Time, is it a fetch quest to have to return to Hyrule Castle Town and buy the Keaton Mask before the guard allows you to go up Death Mountain? Yes, but it does two extremely important things at the same time: first, it introduces/dips your toe into the gameplay mechanics of the mask trading game. And perhaps more importantly, it has a strong narrative role. It's realistic that a Royal Guard wouldn't let a 10 year old boy up Death Mountain so easily, and it also emphasizes he's 10. Link's age is obviously extremely important in Ocarina of Time, so anything that heightens the differences between pre and post Temple of Time Link adds value to the core of the game itself. If Nintendo cut the Keaton Mask quest, the game would be faster, but also worse. That's a well designed fetch quest.

I'm mostly still playing because the dungeon puzzles are legitimately well designed, and I want to keep playing with Fi to find how deep the rabbit hole of stupid goes. "Caution! Did you know you are low on health? Find health!"
Old 01-30-2012, 09:46 PM   #289
Blue Meth Addict

This trailer is awesome.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:48 PM   #290
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

give IGN credit for being thorough

IGN N-Gage: Games, Cheats, News, Reviews, and Previews

Old 01-31-2012, 04:53 AM   #291
Blue Crack Addict

Whoa AOEII

Since Steam released AOEIII, I've started playing it again, as there are way more players than last time I tried it out. Honestly think it's always been quite underappreciated, AOEII has dated pretty badly but AOEIII is still a lot of fun.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:23 PM   #292
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:24 PM
Love AOEII. That was a nice trip down memory lane, and funny too. Thank you.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #293
Blue Crack Addict

Kingdoms of Amularuaalurlmalur is getting good reviews, judging by the one review I read on IGN. Anyone grabbing it? I was a bit disappointed by the demo.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:44 AM   #294
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
AOEII has dated pretty badly
ugh don't wanna hear that. be pristine, memories!

but guess at least graphically it's hard to age well when the game uses 2-D fixed perspective sprites instead of 3-D. I remember Age of Mythology was fun.

I just bought the Ico/Shadow of the Colossus collection, as part of a modest running project to plug holes in my background, other titles in this project I've never started/finished:

Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VI
Link to the Past
Beyond Good and Evil
Old 02-05-2012, 02:24 PM   #295
Blue Crack Addict

I got Alan Wake free when I bought my 360 a year ago. I just started playing it Friday night. Neat little game.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #296
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
Kingdoms of Amularuaalurlmalur is getting good reviews, judging by the one review I read on IGN. Anyone grabbing it? I was a bit disappointed by the demo.
I didn't like the demo either, was extremely disappointed. A lot of journalists have gone out of their way to confirm that the demo doesn't represent the final build at all (crashes, weird conversation skips, etc). I can't decide what to do on it at the moment, maybe wait for a while and get it further down the line when the cost drops considering I still have so many other games to play / finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
I got Alan Wake free when I bought my 360 a year ago. I just started playing it Friday night. Neat little game.
One of my favorite games on this generation of consoles, love it. Glad to hear you're liking it. I'm really excited for American Nightmare later this month.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:23 AM   #297
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:24 PM
So I've upgraded my PC video card and bought a new power supply mostly for playing Battlefield 3.

After a couple of years muddling around console FPS, there is really no substitute for a mouse, keyboard, and 63 other mofos running, rolling, and flying around in a massive map. Good to be back on the ol' PC

And let''s not forget the all-consuming mother of all strategy games:

Old 02-08-2012, 12:43 AM   #298
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:24 PM
I see that Fallout:New Vegas Ultimate Edition is out. Have they fixed the bugs in the game? I've heard good things about the DLC and would be willing to shell out if it meant that they fixed the freezing issues from before.

My fiance has built up and old 486 computer to play old games on. Been totally rocking the original Monkey Island, Monkey Island 2 and Day of the Tentacle lately.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #299
Blue Meth Addict

Old 02-14-2012, 07:41 PM   #300
Blue Crack Distributor

I was a 360 just so I can play Alan Wake