Video Game thread XIII: Knights of the Bro Republic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They're all over once you get out of the first area, but you'll still probably use melee weapons the majority of the time.

JT, I'm hoping that game is at least somewhat true to Hong Kong in terms of the map. I'd love to just cruise around and see places I've been.

I'm so fucking sick of massive software updates when I want to play a game. I assume this Battlefield 3 1.3 gig update is the new dlc. Why do I have to download the dlc if I haven't even purchased it?

So the E3 Press Conferences start a day before E3? :doh:

Well, at least this year I'll catch Sony and Nintendo. Last year I just caught Nintendo. Maybe next year I'll hit all three!

Just watched the demo for Tomb Raider. Wow. I know it's supposed to be an origin story, but weak-ass Lara Croft is bumming me the fuck out. Plus, what's XBox doing with Tomb Raider anyways? Besides apparently turning it into a shooter instead of a puzzle/adventure game.

Oh, hello new game from the makers of Heavy Rain. Your plot is convoluted, but I'm so happy to see an original game here.

Hahaha the dude presenting Far Cry 3 should have his own action figure with a pullstring

INSANITY
A NEW KIND OF INSANITY
4 PLAYER CO-OP
LET'S GO
NICE
I'LL TAKE THE GUY ON THE LEFT
LET'S TAKE THE BRIDGE
I'VE GOT THE GUY ON THE LEFT
NICE
LET'S GO
NICE

:yawn:

Pikmin 3, Castlevania 3Ds and ZombiU are the only games I got out of all that.

About to watch Microsoft's presentation. What I saw looked extremely mediocre. Sony has this E3 in the bag, especially with the added Playstation Plus trailer.

I'm so fucking sick of massive software updates when I want to play a game. I assume this Battlefield 3 1.3 gig update is the new dlc. Why do I have to download the dlc if I haven't even purchased it?

It's a legitimate update, I read a huge list of things it fixes / changed, but I think it also added in all the Battlefield Premium content as well (new weapons, skins, knife, etc), so people who don't buy it can still play with people who do. Close Quarters maps should be a separate thing I believe.

Also, most updates over-write the previous one, so you have to download all the fixes over again since consoles save to harddrives strangely. Everytime there's a new update, you essentially have to download all the content from every previous update along with the new changes.

I thought both Sony and Microsoft's conferences were terrible. EA and Ubisoft were pretty good. That's the nice thing about developer's press conferences, they actually talk about games and not idiotic tech no one wants (You can read books on PS3 now!!1!!1!111!!!).

The PS3 book thing seemed very cool for kids, and I think they failed in making that distinction, but other than that, I was impressed with Playstation's conference for the most part and, like I said before, applaud the majority of it being pretty original.

Laaaame. I just sucks that I want to play and instead I have to wait for an hour while another update downloads. I swear I just did one less than a month ago.

Are you going to get the Close Quarters pack? I might pass on it and wait for the next big map pack. I usually try to avoid the smaller maps when I chose a server anyway. Do you even have the PS3 version anymore?

I might buy Battlefield Premium, not sure. Close Quarters looks cool to me, particularly since I've been spending a lot of time in Operation Metro 24/7 type servers lately. I still haven't opened the PS3 version. If unlocks and progression carried over across all platforms, I would rip that thing open in a minute. Bummer that sort of thing will probably never happen.

I watched 15 minutes of Microsoft's presentation and 15 minutes of it were about XBox Live. Fuck that shit.

They make hundreds of millions of dollars a year off of it, so I guess it's to be expected. The partners and apps they added last year were certainly a lot bigger names than this year, but the sports stuff will be pretty awesome.

Sony and Microsoft both seemed to not know what to talk about since they didn't bring new consoles. Tons of 3rd party crap that will be on all consoles (timed exclusive dlc is so silly on games no one really cares about), tons of family & tech stuff, etc. Lots of exclusive games both could have shown, but randomly decided not to even mention. CGI instead of gameplay, etc. The developer conferences are so much more enjoyable.

E3 stuff:

Uh so I thought I was sick of Assassin's Creed but AC3 really looks so awesome. Hope the Brits aren't just all dastardly, though.

Assassin's Creed 3 - FULL GAMEPLAY E3 2012 in HD - YouTube

Always wanted to travel through trees in a game like this.

The new Quantic Dream game looks cool, hope the dialogue isn't as immersion breaking as it often was in Heavy Rain. Some gameplay footage has leaked so I'm gonna watch that soon.

The Last of Us... I really want to look forward to this, but I just can't get excited for it. I know that the whole feeling of the experience is different to Uncharted, and that it seems like there's going to be a lot of emotional gravity in killing, rather than just mowing down waves of enemies like it ain't a thing, which I like... but when you get down to it, it just looks like another heavily scripted affair full of annoying banter that's meant to sound like adlibs staring a gruff white guy who frequently hides behind conveniently placed objects to shoot things, and I'm honestly sick of that. Maybe if the girl adds an element of gameplay that isn't just occasionally helping lift your character or scripted kills, I'll give more of a damn about it. Also, The Road-esque post apocalypse setting? We need to talk. You're just getting a bit tired.

Watch Dogs looks interesting, and it's cool to see a game come out of nowhere with what seems to be some fresh ideas. While I was interested and hope it turns out well, I couldn't help but think that it looked like something of a drag to play. Also the main character is another stubbly white guy who goes into cover to shoot sometimes etc.

Probably the two games I'm most excited for are the South Park game and God of War: Ascension. Both look great (going to buy SP thing no matter what, like JT), and though the formula should seem old by now, it looks like there's enough new stuff to keep Ascension still heaps of fun to play. I think I'm probably the only person who's genuinely excited for the multiplayer, too. Give me that shit.

The Sad Punk said:
The Last of Us... I really want to look forward to this, but I just can't get excited for it. I know that the whole feeling of the experience is different to Uncharted, and that it seems like there's going to be a lot of emotional gravity in killing, rather than just mowing down waves of enemies like it ain't a thing, which I like... but when you get down to it, it just looks like another heavily scripted affair full of annoying banter that's meant to sound like adlibs staring a gruff white guy who frequently hides behind conveniently placed objects to shoot things, and I'm honestly sick of that. Maybe if the girl adds an element of gameplay that isn't just occasionally helping lift your character or scripted kills, I'll give more of a damn about it. Also, The Road-esque post apocalypse setting? We need to talk. You're just getting a bit tired.

you just described all the stuff that excites me about this game :lol:

So I just realized both Last of Us and God of War aren't coming out this year. Does the PS3 have a single worthwhile exclusive coming for the rest of 2012? Why on Earth did they pump out so many of their big franchises in a year just to release absolutely nothing a year later? It's a bummer regardless, I was really looking forward to both of those games (despite the new God of War somehow looking less impressive than God of War 3 did). I haven't played anything on mine since Uncharted 3. :huh:

Considering how many big games are coming in 2013, I have a hard time seeing either Microsoft or Sony releasing new consoles next year either. Hopefully they don't kill console gaming by waiting so long, so many people see to be moving to PC and selling their consoles.

Speaking of which, while I was in DC one of my friends showed me Diablo 3 and talked me into getting it. Pretty sweet so far, I'm shocked how well it runs on my 2010 Mac. Elfa (or anyone else), I have some of those trial code deals if you still want to try it out.

I bought the Humble Bundle today, mostly to play Bastion, Braid, and Limbo.

Despite the aesthetic polarity- open, colorful 3-D vistas vs. claustrophobic, black and white 2-D- Journey and Limbo have a lot in common targeting a specific niche, with 3-5 hours of focused puzzle/platforming gameplay laid on top of a rather cryptic story. I think Journey is the better of the two given how fundamentally unified its game elements are, but Limbo brings some surprising inventiveness and an impressive style to bear. Limbo's sound design is also notable: there were several moments where the ambient SFX dropped out and played elegantly off the soundtrack. The one knock I give it is that certain puzzle 'styles' are suddenly dropped in without earlier tutorial examples. This means some players are going to intuitively pick up the solution pretty easily and blast past it, and some are going to be in my boat, where I was completely lost and had to consult YouTube to watch other players stumble through. That said, Limbo is a worthy purchase, and worth investigating the Humble Bundle for. Pay >8.50 (as of now) anytime in the next week and you'll get 8 other games, as well.

Also: freaking spiders.

you just described all the stuff that excites me about this game :lol:

Ya man, me too. When I first heard about the premise, I thought it was a bit meh. But after seeing it in action, I'm so looking forward to it. Might be the game I'm most looking forward too. Too bad it's such a long wait :(

I'm looking forward to it a great deal as well. Really like the Uncharted games, can't imagine Naughty Dog won't deliver with something else.

Still annoyed by how many awesome games are coming in 2013, I'd sorta hoped this was the last year for this generation of consoles.

Well, it seems like they're mostly 1st quarter releases, so who knows. And there are a few good multiplatform games coming out this year to make the wait a little easier

Finished Braid from the Humble Bundle, and after completing Journey, Braid, and Limbo back-to-back-to-back, the checklist to be a highly acclaimed "arty indie game" is beginning to show.

Rule #1) be vague. You're an indie developer! There's no time for narrative background!

#2) the game must finish at the beginning scene

#3) Are you the real monster?

The game and puzzles were generally satisfying, if a bit harder than Limbo, yet damaged by the late sense that a meaningful part of Braid was just a ruse to let Jonathan Blow swing his big dick around. There are 8 hidden stars that unlock the "real" ending, and upon completing the game and checking YouTube to find where they are I discovered that they are almost condescendingly arbitrary. I'm tempted to do forensic Googling and see who was the first to actually post the locations, yet terrified of the possibility that it's simply turtles all the way down; that way lies madness.

Contrast with this great article that uses Donkey Kong Country 2 as a reference point:

Part of the magic of DKC2 is the way all these secrets are hidden. The highest compliment I can give the game is to say that I felt every DK coin was placed by a single intelligence--by one person. As the game progressed, I came to know how he thought and what he'd be likely to do. In essence, the game was felt not like an action game of me versus the computer, but a strategy game of me versus the designer.

In order to create this feeling, the game established and religiously followed a few unwritten rules. First, bananas (the common items littered everywhere on every level) are always helpful. If they spell out a letter or an arrow, it's always a genuine clue, never a trick. If a single banana is placed in some precarious, seemingly impossible to reach spot, it's always pointing to a secret. If a banana is over a pit, it always signifies that jumping in the pit will not kill you. In effect, the bananas themselves are a character--an entity--trying to help you at all times. DKC1 did not follow this rule, and that resulted in much frustration and throwing of controllers.

The game also constantly tests the players assumption and first instincts. After 10 levels of starting on the left side of the screen and scrolling right to progress, it trains the player to assume all levels are this way, then sneaks in a level where the DK coin is mere inches to the left, barely off-screen. Most players will never even realize going left was an option. And where is it "legal" to hide a DK coin? I'm sorry to ruin this secret, but I just can't resist. Spoiler alert to skip to the next paragraph, if you must. 39 of the DK coins are hidden somewhere inside a level. Exactly 1 DK coin is hidden in a bonus room inside a level. A secret within a secret. The game has trained the player to assume that no secrets will be in a bonus room, so what better place to hide something? This particular secret was very memorable to me because after I failed to find it several times, I put the controller down and simply thought about it where it could possibly be, then realized a certain bonus room on that level had something suspicious about it, and that it must be “legal” to hide DK coins there after all!

More subtly, the layout of levels often subconsciously suggests a certain path. Jumping from this ledge to that vine and so on just looks right. It feels like the right way to go. And as soon as you believe it's the right way to go, the game has got you. And that is the beauty of Donkey Kong Country 2: it's a constant psychological battle against your own assumptions. Every step of the way, the game is trying to fool you. The bananas are on your side, the but the rest of the level is not. Like a good mystery, there's always a clue--there's always some indication--of where a secret is. There's a way to find every secret without having to constantly kill yourself by jumping into random pits (the bane of Donkey Kong Country 1).

If you're jerking me around on a key gameplay element, I'm not indulging the notion that the hodge-podge of hints and references we get in Braid are anything other than smoke and vapor.

Fun game, though.

Not sure if it's on PC yet, but a similar arty independent game I liked a great deal was Bastion. It was a lot of fun.

Dead Light that's coming out soon for 360 during the Summer of Arcade promotion looks pretty similar to Limbo, but with zombies. Looking forward to it.

I've pretty much only been playing Diablo 3 and Battlefield 3 (finally unlocked all the new guns that came with the new Close Quarters DLC).

Played a little bit of the secret world in the beta weekend the last couple days, but had some stuff going on and didn't get to play much. The character wheel talent system is interesting, and i see it being okay as something to do when my housemate and i are bored with swtor (which was vastly improved by server mergers, yet still more frequent than not).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom