Video Game thread XIII: Knights of the Bro Republic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bioshock 2 is like Fallout: New Vegas. Not made by the same developer. Even more so probably, in Bioshock 2 the original devs apparently had no input or involvement whatsoever. Still supposed to be a solid game. Bioshock: Infinite looks awesome.

Mass Effect 3 is a blast.

1. Bioware didn't make Bioshock.
2. You didn't like Bioshock?

Err... I didn't see that said Bioware. I guess I'm dyslexic. I could've sworn that said Bioshock.

No, I thought Bioshock was awful. Amazing graphics, cool story, but brutally monotonous, linear gameplay that just got dull and repetitive.

Bioshock 2 is like Fallout: New Vegas. Not made by the same developer. Even more so probably, in Bioshock 2 the original devs apparently had no input or involvement whatsoever. Still supposed to be a solid game. Bioshock: Infinite looks awesome.

Mass Effect 3 is a blast.

Fallout: New Vegas still has Bethesda all over it. But yeah, Obsidian Entertainment developed New Vegas. In fact, the odd game out of the series would probably be Fallout 3, considering Obsidian/Black Isle Studios were the original creators of the Fallout series.

And to be honest, while Fallout 3 has that classic feel to it which I will always claim is 'better' than Fallout: New Vegas, Bethesda kinda was 'off' of what Fallout really is. New Vegas was really much, much more accurate. But then again, by going out east to DC, the opportunities were endless for recreation without destruction in Fallout 3.

My odyssey to purchase a used copy of Mass Effect 2 came up short, so I'm just going to dive right into ME3 and hope for the best.

I was tempted to buy SSX as well, but I really want to pick up Final Fantasy VI again and finish it off before getting distracted with too many other shiny baubles

My odyssey to purchase a used copy of Mass Effect 2 came up short, so I'm just going to dive right into ME3 and hope for the best.

Turn off the game when you see a white platform....about 5 minutes to go in the game at that point but for the love of God TURN OFF THE GAME AT THAT POINT AND MAKE UP YOUR OWN ENDING.

I'm about 5 hours in, about half of which was just staring googley-eyed at the codex. Mentally its like an anaconda trying to swallow a cow.

Finished Mass Effect 3 the other day, the ending is fairly incoherent and out of place, but then again most game endings are (Bioshock, any Final Fantasy game I would argue have worse endings).

The main problem is that Bioware sold the Mass Effect series on player agency or at least the illusion of it. The story did well up until the end, there was a lot of closure for many of the characters in the game, with the best being Thane's (kick ass fight, though I can't imagine it having as much impact without playing 2) and Mordin's Genophage story. The ending's main fault is it lacks the character involvement which is the best bit of the series.

That said I don't think Bioware actually understand the strength of their own games, as the DLC for the previous games has in general been done, apart from the Shadowbroker content for the 2, the rest is relatively pointless, decent 3rd person shooter as it is, if that's all it was it would not be nearly so acclaimed.

The ending's main fault is it lacks the character involvement which is the best bit of the series.
My favourite part about the ending is how
it takes an entire universe you spend hours and hours being involved with over the course of the trilogy and then fucks it into oblivion. All the choices you made are wiped away in 5 minutes of sillyness. The entire point of this series was a rich universe where player choice can have dire consequences and then it just all gets wiped away out of your hands.

^agree, especially

if you choose the destruction path at the end, if you spent a lot of time getting the quarians and geth to share their homeworld, and all of a sudden to kill the reapers all the geth must die as well...it's inane.

Again to me it speaks of Bioware not really knowing why people like their games, which is a bit nuts really.

It's also a shame that you spend the whole game assembly the most kick ass fleet and army the galaxy has ever seen yet there is no obvious visual payout to this.

FF XIII:Dear god, please help me!!!

Okay, I'm playing Final Fantasy and I'm in god knows what chapter. Right now I'm trying to beat Lightning's Eidolon. Whatever I do blows right back up in my face. It's so frickin' DUMB!!! Anyone, please help me!! I will be forever great full!!! Oh yea, you can read more about my "predicament" in my blog.
~Thanks~

I've never liked MMO games much before, to me they have often lacked the dynanism and feel of progression of a proper scripted single player experience...but i'm being tempted by Guild Wars 2 when it comes out, it just seems fun, plus it also seems friendly to those of us who have never dabbled much in the MMO world before. Anyone have any experience with the original?

I'm a huge fan of Mass Effect 3. It passes one of the tests I've usually forgotten since childhood; I often forget to blink while playing it. Before Skyrim and Mass Effect 3 I was getting a little worried that I was growing beyond games as a media form, and luckily they've proven me wrong. Maybe that was already proven by how I played Team Fortress 2 for 2 solid years between 2009 and 2011, but it was the background filament that everything else was based off of, I barely even thought of it as a game.

Unfortunately, Shadow of the Colossus, you do not pass. I bought the Ico and SotC collection, and I hate the horse controls, and I didn't have any real urge to play beyond the 2-3 hours I've put in so far.

Bioware done fucked up. First they released a patch for swtor full of not bugs, but awful pvp and crafting decisions. The post major patch maintenance last night accidentally rolled out per-patch maps, so people who logged out in places that were changed couldn't log on, guild bank disappeared, all kinds of stuff broke, and the servers were taken down for another 10-12hours. Idiots.

I was about to buy SSX today, but realized between buying the Song of Ice and Fire book set, Mass Effect 3, my Netflix list, and keeping up with Mad Men and GoT that I could save the $60 for now.

In the meantime, I finally found this song online. It's been nearly 10 years since I bought SSX Tricky, and I probably haven't heard it in about 7 or 8, so it was gratifying to hear that it still stands up. Raided Napster and Kazaa way back when, fruitlessly trying to find these songs, so god bless Youtube, I guess. (Start 3:00 to 3:10 in)

The Forth - Reality Detached - YouTube

Bioware done fucked up. First they released a patch for swtor full of not bugs, but awful pvp and crafting decisions. The post major patch maintenance last night accidentally rolled out per-patch maps, so people who logged out in places that were changed couldn't log on, guild bank disappeared, all kinds of stuff broke, and the servers were taken down for another 10-12hours. Idiots.

Wowwwww, that's a fail of major proportions there.

My Ps3 yellow lighted again :( I called the place that 'fixed' it last time and their warranty only lasts 90 days (I'm into the 5th month). I also remembered while I was on the phone with them how much I hated them last time and how rude they were. Only picked up the phone after the 20th ring, then continued to talk to his nerd friends while I was asking him questions. Fuck those guys. They're all like the comic book store guy off Simpsons. I'd rather buy a new system than give them any more money.

If I get a new PS3, can I take the harddrive out of the old one, stick it in the new one, transfer everything onto a pocket drive, stick the new hard drive back in, and download it all? Do the harddrives fit?

I still haven't finished ME3 yet. I haven't been spoiled, remarkably, but I got a bit annoyed by the way they handled my favourite character (that one green asssassin dude), so basically I'm the same as everyone else. I'm also sort of pissed off that in lieu of other great, already developed characters, they make goddamn EDI a permenant squad member. The fuck?

Grunt is badass.

Well, I didn't finish absolutely everything else on ME3 before hitting the Cerberus base, so apparently I'm now locked into the endgame scenario. "Chance of success: poor!"

We'll see how this turns out. I didn't even get to romance anyone. :( I'd feel better if I took a spin through a used copy of ME2 and came back through 3.

Well, I finished ME3 a few nights ago.

I probably should have listened to Canadiens.

All the problems I had throughout the game, like the poor treatment of the ME2 squadmates (seems a lot of people liked the closure for Thane, try romancing him first and seeing your Shepard give more of a shit about some fucking ugly kid that you never met than her boyfriend), the small squad size that almost entirely consisted of characters I didn't care for, the overload of EDI/Joker fan service, the too-long cutscenes, the worst possible way to reveal what the Quarians look like, the fucking dream sequences - none of that matters when stacked up against the ending. I didn't think it was possible for a five minute ending to fuck up three games worth of a great universe and story, but there you go! I'm not sure if there's an ending that has ever made me feel less fulfilled.

It speaks volumes that despite all that, I still greatly enjoyed the game - Mass Effect is just that good. But still, I'm probably gonna have a long break before I do a different playthrough.

Well, I finished ME3 a few nights ago.

I probably should have listened to Canadiens.

It speaks volumes that despite all that, I still greatly enjoyed the game - Mass Effect is just that good. But still, I'm probably gonna have a long break before I do a different playthrough.

Nevermind, I'm just imagining this as the ending and everything's okay now.

Mordin 'Souls' - YouTube

Just picked up Heavy Rain and Infamous 2. Went with the latter because I'm getting over a stomach bug and don't have much of an attention span right now.

Some thoughts:

-Cole's voice is awful, almost as awful as in the first game.
-I like that I get to keep all of my powers from the first game and the point of this one is to get more powerful
-HE'S OVER 9,000!!!
-How the fuck am I hurting a beast made of fire with fireballs
-I bought this expecting the exact same game as Infamous 1 and so far it's living up to my lofty expectations
-Oh hai, convenient plot device forcing me to lose all of my powers
-The storyline is fucking horrible, damn
-Oh hai, New Orleans
-The amp is a cool melee weapon, better than some of the lame crap that passed for hand-to-hand combat in the first game
-Great, so falling in water = instadeath and this town is covered in swampland. This sounds potentially obnoxious; pits from the ET video game obnoxious
-Hick fascists
-Blew up a town in under 20 minutes of play time; this game delivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom