Video Game thread II: Super Scumbo Bros

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't overemphasize how fun and visually appealing Driver: San Francisco came out to be this time. I remember playing the classic Driver game on the PS1 when I was nine, and the instant connection with the old vs. new was converted into instant gratification after a childhood trauma with it.

I like it a lot, lots of fun. It's similar to Fallout in map structure, and sort of with mission structure. Also very similar to Borderlands in the coop and looting aspect. You're mostly going to be melee fighting though, so there's that. I know a lot of people don't like that in first person games, but it's done really well in this one.

My mate said the demo was pretty bad. So I actually played it and thought holy shit this is awesome.

Gonna pick it up today and be much like headache probably, although NHL is still sadly not being played as much as it should.

Yeah, university and F1 2011 have sadly taken away a lot of my NHL 12 time. I gotta get back into my Hockey Ultimate Team groove and kick some ass; that game mode is really addictive.

Anyone else get the feeling that NHL hasn't been as good since the 09 introduction of Be A Pro? It seems to get worse and worse (albeit with cooler features) each year.

By the looks of it '12 plays more like '10 did. I reckon some of the sounds in '11 (ie puck flying around the boards) sounded much better.

I do love all the custom music you can put it. The guys over at operation sports put effort into having custom goal horns and stuff, makes the game feel a bit more like real life.

By the looks of it '12 plays more like '10 did. I reckon some of the sounds in '11 (ie puck flying around the boards) sounded much better.

I do love all the custom music you can put it. The guys over at operation sports put effort into having custom goal horns and stuff, makes the game feel a bit more like real life.

That's because usually the development teams for annual games are broken up into two teams.

It's why all of the even year'd games play similar to each other (much like in Madden as well). And the odd year'd games, for that matter. NHL 07 was very similar in game play to NHL 09. NHL 08 certainly matched NHL 10. I can't comment on NHL 11 or 12 because I haven't played enough of them but all I know is that I was really unhappy with 10 vs. 9, and wasn't that impressed by 11 although I thought it was slightly better than 10.

Anyone else get the feeling that NHL hasn't been as good since the 09 introduction of Be A Pro? It seems to get worse and worse (albeit with cooler features) each year.
I think exactly the opposite, actually.

I feel the current gen NHL games (since 07 on 360) have been consistently solid, compared with the "dark ages" of the mid 00s.

Oh no I never implied that pre-07 was better. 07 was the gamebreaker. That revolutionized the game. And then 08 was a little worse. And then 09 was the best NHL game I've ever played. And then 10 was a little worse (than 09).

Same with me, first console me and my brother ever had!

And the reasoning my mom bought it for me was because I was (and am) an avid James Bond fan. Little did she know she bought me Goldeneye, one of the greatest first person shooters of all time.

Speaking of Nintendo, seems their damage-control for the 3DS is just to release a shit-ton of N64 ports and hope that they can keep banking on nostalgia.

I wonder what their next move in the big chess game will be.

Man they do not understand that banking on nostalgia is very real... stuff like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are great, amazing ideas. Just stop changing them. Release them as arcade if you have to... but there's so much potential in sending someone BACK in time.

Same with me, first console me and my brother ever had!

And the reasoning my mom bought it for me was because I was (and am) an avid James Bond fan. Little did she know she bought me Goldeneye, one of the greatest first person shooters of all time.

Oh man, we played Goldeneye so much! Doing multiplayer is really fun, like a Halo forerunner. Also Starfox, Super Mario 64, and Donkey Kong 64 are fantastic. The first MarioKart on the 64 is still the best version of that game, IMO.

I can't even play Goldeneye anymore because the controls are so archaic. It's not that I don't want to play, I just end up staring at the floor or ceiling and getting killed

I can't even play Goldeneye anymore because the controls are so archaic. It's not that I don't want to play, I just end up staring at the floor or ceiling and getting killed

Jet Force Gemini suffers from this phenomenon, too, and ruined my attempt to play through it a few months ago. Either I had infinite tolerance as a young teenager or was a moron.

Rachel D. said:
The first MarioKart on the 64 is still the best version of that game, IMO.

I would be curious to see what others have to say about this. I think Double Dash has the best multiplayer, and Mario Kart DS the best single player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom