Video Game thread II: Super Scumbo Bros

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, at first I was thinking "yeah okay these are just cinematic graphics" until they actually hit the gameplay portion. Really nice looking, I'm so exited.

I didn't know we had a video game thread. Probably because it's buried in some ass-backwards bullshit part of the forum I'd never normally look.

Anyway, Skyrim looks phenomenal. Absolutely cannot wait.

Also, everybody PLEASE buy this Wednesday on Xbox Live. Only $10 for an HD upgrade to one of the greatest games of the last generation. Plus, there's a good chance Ubisoft will be tracking the sales of this release to influence the chances of the game's in-development sequel actually seeing the light of day. So fucking cough it up.

screenshot_247899.jpg

screenshot_247897.jpg

I'll be buying that, as I never played it on the original Xbox.

JT shot me a bunch of times on Killzone 3 tonight. I dropped some mortars on his head to make up for it though.

Ugh... friggin Fallout New Vegas...

I'm trying to start this quest, For Auld Lang Syne, but for some reason Dr. Henry (one of the members that you need to recruit) has gone missing. He's supposed to be in Jamestown, but the map marker has him at the Remnants Bunker. And because of that, I can't do this quest, I can't fix Rex for another quest, and I can't do the quest that Dr. Henry is supposed to give me.

Furthermore, I can't have that addition to the end of my storyline, which bothers me.

I call it Fallout:Glitch Vegas

It was frustrating at times to play but well worth it. Working my may through the Game of the Year edition of Fallout 3 lately.. also enjoying Donkey Kong Returns on the Wii

I call it Fallout:Glitch Vegas

It was frustrating at times to play but well worth it. Working my may through the Game of the Year edition of Fallout 3 lately.. also enjoying Donkey Kong Returns on the Wii

It stinks when you're an achievement whore like I am...

Because I can't get to Dr. Henry I can't get the Jamestown quest achievement, I can't get the Arcade Gannon quest achievement, I can't get the get all companions achievement (because I cant get the Jamestown quest achievement).

My final slide for the ending was messed up because about 3 chapters of it were talking about people I had no control over/never got to meet.

Honestly, I know such big games are hard to control when it comes to bugs but a good way around it is to make multiple options to start quests/escape glitched spots, etc.

The game is smart enough to sense when you're physically stuck somewhere (you'll notice you are almost always unable to save in that situation). It should be unique enough to avoid bugged characters.

Killzone

Looks like we're getting a patch next week too! Hopefully this will fix your issues.

CHANGES & NEW FUNCTIONALITY

* Network - Lag fixes and fixes for network errors 10002, 8001 and 8013
* Gameplay - Players now have more stamina by default. Sprint length is increased but the recharge timer has been adjusted to compensate
* Gameplay - Mortally wounded players no longer have collision. Alive players should now be able to traverse the levels without getting stuck on mortally wounded players
* Gameplay - Medic's revive cool-down reduced from 25 to 10 seconds
* Gameplay - Increased range from where friendly players can be revived - player can be revived from 20 meters now
* Gameplay - Guerrilla Warfare games now last 15 minutes and it takes 100 kills instead of 50 to win
* Performance – Improvements to party creation server load
* Menu - Show envelope icon to indicate that player has received message
* Menu - Rewards panel in post game screen now auto-scrolls
* Menu - Botzone is now paused when player goes to start menu
* Menu - Single click squad invite
* Menu - Enhanced idle detection code in menu, the player isn’t spawned if he’s still pressing buttons
* Security - Several security, anti hack and cheat fixes

BUG FIXES

* Stability – Fix for an occasional crash bug when in the Credits screen and transitioning straight into Multiplayer via a Invite
* Stability – Fix for potential hang when players migrate between maps
* Gameplay - Player can retain crouched collision after deploying jetpack
* Gameplay - The Assassination Executioner medals only count Deadly Assassin kills, not Executioner kills
* Gameplay - Cloak kills with weapons that break cloak now count towards medal for Cloak levels 1 and 2.
* Gameplay - Global - Medic’s Triage droids now disappear when player quits out of game
* Gameplay - Cloak/Disguise cannot be removed manually by accident anymore
* Gameplay – Fix for rumble in Exo being over-powered and out of sync
* Gameplay – Fix for Silent Footsteps remaining active after choosing other skill and removed from the personal stats menu
* Exploit - Akmir Snowdrift - Player can reach the boat by using an ammo box to exit the intended boundaries
* Functionality – Disc eject now handled more gracefully
* Trophies - DLC 1 ‘Little Big Weapons’ Trophy does now counts rocket launcher and StA2
* Clan functionality – Fix for player quitting and re-joining a tournament, they may re-enter a tournament alone.
* Menu - Find game – Operations - Mode description - Spelling issue fixed
* Menu - Friends: Fix for Clan tags being displayed for a max of nine players despite the number of player that are in the clan
* Menu – Fix for incorrect message given when attempting to join a Clan Game that an online friend is taking place in
* Menu - Spawn-screen – Fix for when the extra Primary Weapon skill is equipped, the weapon description goes out of sync
* Menu - Accolades do now show subsequently
* Menu - When receiving a squad invite from a player in another match, there is now a warning that the player will leave his current game.
* Menu - Scramble detailed range and in-game range now match properly
* Menu - The Spot and Mark description in the unlock menu is now correct
* Menu – Fix for when the player presses the SQUARE button when a player that is in their game is highlighted in the squad lobby menu they receive the message ‘You cannot join a play that is not in a game.’
* Menu - Turn off animations for the squad list to avoid it becoming unreadable every time a rebuild occurs when voice chat is activated
* Menu – Fix for when trying to join a friend without the required DLC pack, the message will tell the player they are part of a squad.
* Menu – Fix for the message informing the player they are attempting to join a DLC game without the required DLC content installed reading better
* Menu - Increased Accuracy & Faster Reload Ribbons now update in the personal statistics screen.

Additional to this, we are performing regular and significant Server updates to help with connection issues such as the -9 Error (fix deployed Thursday 3rd of March) as well as improving performance and lag.

We have already begun work on further patches to include additional gameplay improvements, feature upgrades and a variety of bug fixes. If you are experiencing any problems with Killzone 3 please check out our FAQ or hit the forums where we will be on hand to answer any of your questions.

The medic improvements sound awesome. I think a lot more people will be using the medic now.

It's actually a ton of fun. Just a ton of connection issues since launch, hopefully those will all be resolved.

How's the HD upgrade of Beyond Good and Evil? Have you tried it yet? I've heard some say the controls feel a little wonky.

I actually kind of enjoy Killzone's multiplayer. Anything with a decent class system automatically makes it a step up from CoD and Halo and the like. Still, never really liked how that series controlled.

I'll probably start BG&E tonight at some point. I could see the thing with the controls being an issue, as there were similar complaints when the game first came out. I'm sure nothing has really changed in that regard, but I don't remember ever having a problem with them.

BG&E holds up extremely well. Nothing to complain about regarding the controls so far, though the one nagging thing would be the manual camera, which certainly has the dated feel of a typical last-generation third person game. But it's to be expected.

Also, I has Dragon Age II

: D

Wow wait this thread exists?

Recently I've been looking at a few N64 re-texturing projects. Instead of playing something like Banjo-Kazooie or Ocarina of Time again on the console, the idea of going at it in high resolution sounds appealing, particularly since some aspects of the visuals haven't aged well. But it's not as easy as it sounds- sometimes the graphic designer just doesn't have a strong clue what to do, and it's hard to overcome that the visuals of a game were designed and built together, and bolting on high-resolution textures can upset the balance and emphasize how empty the world is.

goldeneye20ix9.jpg

That said, there are some interesting projects to keep an eye on.

A cel-shaded Ocarina of Time that's well done:
2dgkdxc.png

See what an astonishing difference re-doing the sky makes:
YouTube - Zelda - Ocarina of Time - High Resolution - Part 30 - Ganondorf

I don't doubt it's already been brought up a dozen times somewhere in B&C, but The National are doing a song for Portal 2. So yeah, pretty cool.

I'm playing Fight Night Champion at the moment, the inclusion of a campaign with actual storytelling is really cool. Not exactly the most varied of games but very good for what it is.

HAVE to get my PS3 back before that comes out. It just keeps getting more exciting with every spot I see.

i went to PAX East 2011 this past weekend, and hadn't heard anything about that game (not saying much, i live under a rock and that convention made me realize that as much of a geek as i am, i got nothing on some people). til i checked into the hotel and the guy working at the reception desk wouldn't shut up about the facial recognition software or something relating to this game. i can't remember what he said. i was hungry, tired, and wanted to toss my bag in my room so i could go meet up with my friend and his brother for beers. forgot about it til i saw the video footage outside the booth. i'm assuming it was a trailer. i didn't get that good a look at it because i caught it from the star wars old republic line and was much more interested in watching the game play monitors from that demo (since that was the #1 reason i went to that thing in the first place). but it looked fancy. very fancy.

The facial recognition software makes the eyes look more real, which will be implemented into giving the player the opportunity to try and use the facial reactions of the characters to determine if they are lying to you or not. Should be awesome.

Hopefully other developers pick up the technology because it really adds a lot to the animations.

LA Noire weirds me out, the animations just seem super distracting in every video I've seen. Hopefully the game is fun, Rockstar's track record with brand new IP's isn't as strong as we all like to pretend, but their other games are so good that I have hope.

LA Noire looks great, but I am not sure if I'm ready for another open-world jaunt from Rockstar. I held off on Red Dead Redemption for the same reason: eventually I get bored of doing the super drawn-out missions masquerading as a big story. The last Grand Theft Auto, and for that matter most of them, have a ton of filler and it just wears me down before I can get to the finale of the game.

It's kind of strange I'm arguing against having too much content and story in a game, but it just feels like you're slogging through it eventually with Rockstar. Hopefully L.A. Noire is good.

The facial recognition software makes the eyes look more real, which will be implemented into giving the player the opportunity to try and use the facial reactions of the characters to determine if they are lying to you or not. Should be awesome.

yeah, that is pretty badass. i kinda see why the guy was raving about how awesome it sounds, but like mofo was saying it does kinda look creepy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom