Video Game thread II: Super Scumbo Bros

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Way too much. That thing is digital crack.

*image Canadiens posted*

ahaha god I love that picture.

I took the dive and bought the game last weekend. Found a good seed online, built my first hovel, and a few days ago started exploring a huge cave system by slapping torches up everywhere. Today I think I'm going to go on a logging spree so I can put up signposts and not get lost again. Then I can start an industrial-scale attempt to pull in diamond and (maybe?) go to the Nether.

It's kind of funny because I keep accomplishing something (built my first hovel/stone tools/found a cave) and think "great......so, what else is there?" But there's always something else to do.

ahaha god I love that picture.

I took the dive and bought the game last weekend. Found a good seed online, built my first hovel, and a few days ago started exploring a huge cave system by slapping torches up everywhere. Today I think I'm going to go on a logging spree so I can put up signposts and not get lost again. Then I can start an industrial-scale attempt to pull in diamond and (maybe?) go to the Nether.

It's kind of funny because I keep accomplishing something (built my first hovel/stone tools/found a cave) and think "great......so, what else is there?" But there's always something else to do.
This is my current Singleplayer game. Got my humble, 1-story home, and recently started to build a big church in the same style.

I managed to capture a wolf and fed it a few bones (skeletons drop them when they die). That tames him and he'll attack anything you whack with a melee attack.

Best strategy for mining is to get a ton of wood, and build a 1x1 or 1x2 shaft going straight down with ladder, then you branch off.

FMNSx.png

oj2qW.png

4ydvY.png

Next up on the list is a dedicated building for furnace / storage / workbench stuff, and a mine going straight down. I've found a little bit of charcoal on the surface rock but haven't yet done any serious digging.

Woof!

Well, the signposts helped immensely. I found a deep cave that wound down for a while and then stopped, so I decided to start digging straight down from that point. It was almost dumb luck but by the time I hit bedrock there was a vein of diamond immediately parallel to the mineshaft, and I've started hollowing out the area. Just having a diamond pick speeds things up considerably! Almost have a Nether portal ready.

In the mean time, there's quite a bit of space between my main home and the cave system, so I'm also putting up an aerial minecart track that hopefully will allow me to traverse the island easier. The home and mining base are on the north and south ends of an enormous lake, which is itself covered partially by massive twin overhanging segments on the east and west. The shadows cast allow mobs to still hang around during the day, but once I built a boat it became much easier. That said, rocketing through the air should be awesome.

Yeah once I get mining I'll be investing in some minecart track to make covering distances easier. Next update (next week I believe is 1.5) they're adding powered track so that carts will be able to just run by themselves.

Yeah once I get mining I'll be investing in some minecart track to make covering distances easier. Next update (next week I believe is 1.5) they're adding powered track so that carts will be able to just run by themselves.

:up::up::up::up::up:

:up::up:

Seriously, though. :up:

So I've been up to quite a bit over the last 12 hours. First, I broke the first rule of Minecraft and dug straight down....into lava....twice......:doh: The next rule I broke was not caching my obsidian and diamonds either time, so basically I was starting over from a wood pick and hacking away. A few hours later having doing a pretty thorough job latticing the diamond mine I finally found a few more diamond blocks (along with several thousand cobblestone) and managed to go back to the lava field I was originally working on and picked up ~20 obsidian by dropping a waterfall directly onto the lava.

I'm debating whether or not to start a mass clearing of the diamond mine area. There are a ton of branching lines (3 blocks apart, so only one block is hidden when walking by) but it's starting to get difficult to navigate properly. Maybe TNT will be the best option, as it's less likely there will be a meaningful diamond deposit sandwiched between the mine shafts.

Also, I went back to my rock spire and found that a wolf pack had taken residence on the second floor. They must have dropped in from above, but they couldn't move much because the area was rather cramped. I accidentally hacked at one, which of course led to a pissed off wolf chomping on me in close quarters, but the second wolf I fed a bone. But he died later at the hands of evil mobs outside. :(

Yeah, what I like to do is make the 1x1 shaft down, but I stash anything valuable first, and make sure to dig all the way to the bedrock. That way you've got that shaft all done up with ladders, and no threat of falling into lava, and then you can go ahead and dig outwards from there. :up:

My mine shafts look like this from the side view, with the Xs being the ladder and Os being the tunnels out.

X
X
X
X oooooooooooooooooooooo
X oooooooooooooooooooooo
X oooooooooooooooooooooo
Xoooooooooooooooooooooooo
X
X oooooooooooooooooooooo
X oooooooooooooooooooooo
X oooooooooooooooooooooo
X
X

etc all the way down

What mode are you playing? I'm on the road to the fucking Masters right now, just finished Q school and am ready for some PGA events against some very unsuspecting pros.

Finally got in the mood to play Mass Effect 2 again this weekend (I first started playing it immediately after two runs through the first game, and got burnt out). Played a ton, it's a lot of fun to come back to that series. Great games, nothing else like them really.

gonna be playing Portal 2 in approximately one hour

oh ho ho pacific standard time

What mode are you playing? I'm on the road to the fucking Masters right now, just finished Q school and am ready for some PGA events against some very unsuspecting pros.

road to the masters all the way...

i had off friday thru monday. i purchased tiger friday morning, i think i finally put it down monday evening.

i got to the masters... finished 15th i believe. i did win the US open :hi5:

Wow, you played the shit out of it.

I got through Q School and onto the tour, and won a tournament in Hawaii. Have to play my next tournament, etc, and progress. I am playing 4 round tournaments, so this might take awhile.

Congrats on the US Open win. :)

I played the Gears 3 beta for about an hour last night, and wanted to give some impressions. If you for some reason don't want to know anything about it until you get a chance to play it later, or until the main game comes out, don't read beyond this point.

First things first, it's awesome. I played a little Gears 1 online, and thought it was fun. Mostly put all my time on 2 (which was a very decent amount of time) into Horde, as NSW and Imps can confirm. The basic multi just always felt really wonky and laggy to me in part 2. They have dedicated servers in 3, and it feels absolutely perfect. Literally, it feels like you're playing a normal match of COD, your bullets all go where they're supposed to, there's no weird leading or funkiness involved in how it plays out. If you were good at the campaign or Horde, you'll most hold your own in this finally!

I'm surprised how many new additions and changes there are. Don't get me wrong, it's still the exact same game, but there's a lot of cool new things here.

First off, you can actually choose your loadout before spawning. The weapons all have specific stats given to them now. Hammerburst has the best accuracy, but weakest power. Lancer is the best all around. The new Retro Lancer has the best power, but worst accuracy. For those who don't know, the retro Lancer has a freaking bayonet on the end of it, so instead of chainsawing, you can do some mad rush at a guy, and skewer him with the bayonet and lift him up into the air. I've been killed by it twice, and didn't even mind to be dying because of how cool it looked! There's a new shotgun now too, the "sawed off". It has next to no range or accuracy other than at point blank, but is even more powerful than the normal shotgun, you can choose between the two. The Locust pistol that fired those 3 round bursts in part 2 now seems to be an actual full auto SMG. You can still zoom with it, but it's no longer very accurate or good for long range. It seems really good up close though, so it'll take some getting used to. Haven't tried any other weapons out yet.

Grenade wise, there's a new fire grenade. Looks pretty sweet when it gets someone, as they're running around on fire briefly before dying. There's also some weird thing I haven't had a chance to use yet, but was actually killed by it. I think it's a grenade, but it somehow burrows underground towards where you're aiming. I was running down a narrow hall and some some dude at the end of it who looked like he was facing the wrong way. He was apparently leading me into the trap, as he suddenly swung around and I see all this dirt in the ground in front of my flying up in the air until this thing got to me and blew me to hell. I didn't mind dying from it, it was pretty awesome.

It seems to be the most fleshed out beta I've ever seen. Very in depth stat tracking, TONS of medals and unlocks. My goal is to at least play enough to unlock the "Cole Train" character skin (Cole in some sort of football gear) for the full retail game. They only have two maps and team death match available at the moment, but I know they're supposed to keep switching it up for the next 3 or 4 weeks it's available with new modes and one or two other maps.

Map wise, one of them is in a grocery store, and seems very reminiscent of that one indoor warehouse map from the last game (the one with the big elevated metal catwalk in the middle that we'd slaughter fools from in horde). It seems like what you'd expect from a Gears map, new but familiar, which is cool. The other map is a football (or thrashball, or whatever they call it in Gears) stadium. It's pretty dang sweet, and very unlike any past maps. The big score board falls down at some point during the match, and will crush anyone underneath it. I racked up a ton of chainsaw kills on this map last night, it was a blast.

I also really like that now they have rsocial playlists that play similar somewhat to what you'd expect from COD, in that if someone backs out, a bot takes their place, but someone else can log in mid-match and fill the bot's spot. I always hated when people would back out in the first Gears, as your team was absolutely screwed, nice they finally made a fix to that problem. I'm assuming they'll use this in Horde too, which will rule! I think Ranked still plays exactly like the old ones that way though, if someone disconnects, you're down a man.

I just wrote about 10x more than I was expecting, so I guess it's safe to say that I'm really excited by this beta! Look forward to some of the rest of you getting access to this later, as I think it'll be a lot of fun to play with others who know what they're doing!

Haha, no worries there. I randomly pre-ordered SOCOM from Amazon, and it's sitting on my porch right now. I'll probably split some time between it and ME2 for the rest of the week. I'm visiting my parents starting Friday morning anyways, so I won't be around for any gaming.

I am currently fangirling over the new Skyrim screenshots that were just released. There are more besides these.

dragonepic.jpg

sky5big.jpg

Khajiit 5.0! :hyper:
sky6big.jpg

Screencap I made of the trailer a while back:
Screenshot2011-03-20at12605PM.png

Been going through New Vegas again. Patches they have released have certainly helped with the freezing issues.. a much more enjoyable playthrough this time.. and still finding things and places that I hadn't before

Whew, just finished the Portal 2 single player. Took about....6 hours or so, but I'm sure I'm going back soon to check the developer's commentary.

Effusive praise is more boring to read than criticism, at least in my view, so let's just stipulate that anything you might have read about P2 is correct-it's really really well done.

So a few quibbles: I do understand that it's necessary to re-introduce the game mechanics, but the very start of the game isn't friendly to those who already know what's going on because the load screens happen very often. It felt like every 60-90 seconds I had to stop and wait, and that pulled me out of the momentum a little. Second, the middle part of the game felt slightly adrift both narratively and gameplay wise. There's a period where it's not really clear what Chell's purpose is, beyond a simple down = bad, up = escape symbolism. And then between reaching the second section and discovering the white goop, Valve leans a little too heavily on unportal-able walls in a way that hurts the inherent value of the Portal Gun.

Finally, this room made me give up and look online for the solution:
4249A7D32AC634EE048C8D935A2B28398B81F9CB

Boooooo

All that aside, it must be said that Ellen McLain, J.K. Simmons, and Stephen Merchant did an amazing/tremendous job voice acting. Such a fantastic trio to play off one another.

Been going through New Vegas again. Patches they have released have certainly helped with the freezing issues.. a much more enjoyable playthrough this time.. and still finding things and places that I hadn't before

RB, mine is sitting unopened...gonna play soon...was waiting for the patches, etc....

Finally, this room made me give up and look online for the solution:
Boooooo

Hah. That was a tricky one, yeah. Took me about 20 minutes before I got it on my own though. Fantastic stuff. I do agree with your general criticisms, but I hardly think they blemish the overall work. The first game was pristine, refined, perfect in its execution of a single wonderful idea. In expanding it to a full title, of course there's no way you wouldn't suffer some minor pacing or narrative issues. In fact I do think this might be Valve's weakest narrative to date, outside of the purely multiplayer efforts of course, since it relies a bit too much on pure verbal exposition and such. Oh well. I still think this might be one of, if not the greatest game I've ever played. I'm not sure I've encountered anything so consistently surprising in its design, creativity and humor (speaking of which, it's certainly the most successful video game comedy I've encountered). Half-Life 2 and Portal are potentially my favorite works in the medium, so I went into this one with exceedingly high expectations, and have to admit it rather well surpassed them.

Also, I think I completely the single player in about 8 or 9 hours. But that was kind of taking my time, playing around with the gels quite a bit, listening to the dialogue, exploring the environment, etc. Really looking forward tot he co-op and inevitable DLC. Upon finishing a game I've also never felt such immediately anxiety for more of it. I could really play new content of this endlessly for months upon months. Which isn't at all a criticism of the length of the main game.

Hah. That was a tricky one, yeah. Took me about 20 minutes before I got it on my own though. Fantastic stuff. I do agree with your general criticisms, but I hardly think they blemish the overall work. The first game was pristine, refined, perfect in its execution of a single wonderful idea. In expanding it to a full title, of course there's no way you wouldn't suffer some minor pacing or narrative issues. In fact I do think this might be Valve's weakest narrative to date, outside of the purely multiplayer efforts of course, since it relies a bit too much on pure verbal exposition and such. Oh well. I still think this might be one of, if not the greatest game I've ever played. I'm not sure I've encountered anything so consistently surprising in its design, creativity and humor (speaking of which, it's certainly the most successful video game comedy I've encountered). Half-Life 2 and Portal are potentially my favorite works in the medium, so I went into this one with exceedingly high expectations, and have to admit it rather well surpassed them.

Also, I think I completely the single player in about 8 or 9 hours. But that was kind of taking my time, playing around with the gels quite a bit, listening to the dialogue, exploring the environment, etc. Really looking forward tot he co-op and inevitable DLC. Upon finishing a game I've also never felt such immediately anxiety for more of it. I could really play new content of this endlessly for months upon months. Which isn't at all a criticism of the length of the main game.

Oh yeah no doubt they are not significant issues, but it's still something I think worth saying that normally would be lost in 3,000 words of praise.

I do definitely get the feeling that Portal/Portal 2 will have just as solid a legacy as something like Half Life/Half Life 2. ....Speaking of which, I suspect the reason we've heard squat about Episode 3 or Half Life 3 is that Valve is having just as hard a time thinking of a way to top HL2.

In other words, I'm curious if Portal 2 will be the last big Portal title. These two games are pretty amazing documents as is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom