Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 06:56 PM   #781
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Oh and for what it's worth... it's a whole new game engine. That means one or two things. One is that they're getting rid of a lot of the problems from the previous engine (such as when you pick something up everything scatters across the room).

But the other thing that means is a whole new book of bugs, I guess. Lets hope this time round they've done a swell job at making the game engine relatively bug proof.
Yeah, the game is going to be so huge and complex that I will be very surprised -- and impressed -- if there are no bugs or just plain mistakes that will need fixing later. And I can't wait to find out!

I've been playing Morrowind this summer and that game still amazes me; I've had it since 2003 and I still find things that I've never seen or done before. Of course, there was a break in that time span for a couple of years after it melted our old Xbox and before they made the backwards compatibility file for the 360. But still, that game has staying power.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:21 PM   #782
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:48 AM
Skyrim

Old 08-07-2011, 10:29 PM   #783
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel D. View Post
Yeah, the game is going to be so huge and complex that I will be very surprised -- and impressed -- if there are no bugs or just plain mistakes that will need fixing later. And I can't wait to find out!

I've been playing Morrowind this summer and that game still amazes me; I've had it since 2003 and I still find things that I've never seen or done before. Of course, there was a break in that time span for a couple of years after it melted our old Xbox and before they made the backwards compatibility file for the 360. But still, that game has staying power.
As does Oblivion itself. I think that's something that both Fallout 3 and New Vegas lacked. If you put theme aside and compare the two, (Elder Scrolls vs. Fallout), the Elder Scrolls world is so much more vast and the game can truly never be fully covered. With Fallout, it's similar, but I believe that game has more of a replay value as opposed to playing under the same save.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:29 AM   #784
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo
I started playing New Vegas briefly again yesterday afternoon for an hour or so. Was having fun, then the game froze. Good to see they fixed all the bugs...
Good to know. I encountered one bug where the screen went black then to static then back to the game in the space of 5 seconds - it was like I switched inputs on my tv for a moment - very bizzare.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:54 AM   #785
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
^ It's actually $149.99 in US dollars.
Yes, and the normal game is $60. I was implying that you're paying $90 for cheap swag items probably worth no more than $20.

Quote:
Even though I liiked Oblivion a great deal at the time, if I had to decide between the two, I'd definitely go with Morrowind. That game did huge open world before it was really even a thing. Such a cool game.

Plus, no scaled leveling.

Quote:
I think that's something that both Fallout 3 and New Vegas lacked.
I don't really feel that way, I think it more has to do with how the games were designed. There's plenty to find and see in the Fallout games that are not story related. With fast travel, most people unfortunately skip over all of it though. One of the negative sides of making it so you really only ever have to walk somewhere once. You only see what's near the path you first took there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevated_u2_fan View Post
Good to know. I encountered one bug where the screen went black then to static then back to the game in the space of 5 seconds - it was like I switched inputs on my tv for a moment - very bizzare.
It's frozen a couple more times now, but luckily my saves have been fine, and I haven't had to do much over at all. I played quite a bit yesterday, having more fun playing it now than I did when it first came out, strangely. I think they sorta screwed up on how they opened the game, Fallout 3 really sucked you in right from the beginning, New Vegas takes hours and hours and hours before you feel the same.

Still haven't entered the Vegas strip yet, and I've been able to for ages.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:00 PM   #786
ONE
love, blood, life

Well yeah, Fallout still has that ever expansive 'you can't finish me' aspect to it. Just take a look at the knowledge written into the game. There's a whole new universe in there. There are hundreds of virtual computer logs filled with countless ours of reading, and there's so much more to the game than anyone can fathom other than the game developers themselves.

But what I'm saying is that there was a much stronger structure in Oblivion's 'side mission' aspect. In Fallout, you can easily find them all yourself being that Fallout is a post-apocalyptic world and whatnot. It's hard to find people, and it's hard to find missions. The non-storyline/non-achievement/unmarked quests are limited whereas in Oblivion I feel that they're vast.

The same can't be said for New Vegas I guess - a game that I've yet to really explore unmarked/extra material in. But certainly in Fallout 3.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:22 PM   #787
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
But what I'm saying is that there was a much stronger structure in Oblivion's 'side mission' aspect. In Fallout, you can easily find them all yourself being that Fallout is a post-apocalyptic world and whatnot. It's hard to find people, and it's hard to find missions. The non-storyline/non-achievement/unmarked quests are limited whereas in Oblivion I feel that they're vast.
I still disagree, but may still not entirely understand what you're trying to say.

FYI, you can pre-order the 360 version of Skyrim for $55 on Amazon right now (comes with the fancy cloth map for preordering).

Amazon.com: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim: Pc: Video Games
Old 08-09-2011, 06:01 PM   #788
ONE
love, blood, life

I think I'm just gonna pre-order at GameStop. I can pick it up the day of, and I can pre-order for $5 and pay it off as I please.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:20 PM   #789
Blue Meth Addict

You don't pay a dime with Amazon for the preorder, and it's delivered the day of release.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:46 PM   #790
ONE
love, blood, life

Oh... interesting bargaining chips on the table now.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:00 PM   #791
Blue Meth Addict

Yeah, they don't charge your card until the order ships. You can cancel the preorder at any time. It's also guaranteed on the promotions, so if the price lowers or they add stuff to make it more enticing after you preorder, you automatically get the best deal, regardless of what the deal was when you preordered.

You then have to wait for when the shipment arrives though, which can be a pain sometimes based on your schedule. There was a gigantic distribution error for a huge area of the US with LA Noire from Amazon as well. NSW and I both ended up getting it a day or so late. That's the only time I've ever had one not show up on time though.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:17 PM   #792
ONE
love, blood, life

hmm that actually sounds pretty familiar. Now that I recall, I preordered The 25th Annual Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Benefit Concert on DVD and they slashed the price and they did that reduction thing for me as well.

I'll make my decision when I finalize my schedule. I might actually do a midnight release pickup instead because it looks like I wont have classes on Tuesday and I'd likely do what I did with New Vegas and just play until 8 a.m.

If I do end up with class on Tuesday, I'll probably do Amazon. Sounds good though, thanks.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:26 PM   #793
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:48 PM
‪Wheatley Puppet‬‏ - YouTube
Old 08-12-2011, 09:44 PM   #794
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Look! Argonians don't look goofy anymore!

I'm so happy! They looked good in Morrowind and then looked so dumb in Oblivion with their football-shaped heads. Now they're gonna look like Velociraptors. I'm so relieved and a little unreasonably excited. Now gimme the game so I can make my own Argonian and sneak around and shoot bandits through the head with arrows and steal things! I love doing that.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:11 AM   #795
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:48 AM
"mesa Jar Jar Binks, mesa gonna be your bestes friennnnnnnd"