Video Game thread II: Super Scumbo Bros - Page 45 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Restart and Reboot Yourself
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #661
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 02:24 AM
Diff strokes, I can't stand how LA Noire's city looks. The engine looks ancient.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:43 PM   #662
The Male

Local Time: 12:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey
The thing that bothers me about Infamous is the enemy design. They just look like a mess of polygons. And then, even putting graphical limitations aside, they still seem kinda generic
The graphics in general are pretty shit. When Cole talks, his jaw is exceptionally muppet-esque, and the game in general doesn't look as smooth as I would like. There are some bugs also; walls disappearing or changing to a solid slab of brown/black, buildings popping out of the mist, etc. A guy just started shaking violently for no reason. It's not the most polished game I've ever played, and I wish there was more variety in what you can do with your powers beyond jumping and shooting bad guys (or, in my case, good guys). The evil side missions are pretty fun, but the good ones don't give you any real incentive to play that storyline. These are all issues I would like to see fixed in the sequel(s).

Now.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:21 PM   #663
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
Diff strokes, I can't stand how LA Noire's city looks. The engine looks ancient.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:51 PM   #664
War Child

Local Time: 04:24 AM
Quote:
I played L.A. Noire in its entirety and it sucked.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:53 PM   #665
Blue Crack Supplier

I played it in its entirety, too, and while I don't think that it sucked, I was certainly disappointed. It looked nice in B&W, though.

Almost done with inFamous. Getting a tad bored, but, my latest ability has kept me entertained.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:36 AM   #666
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:54 PM
I haven't played LA Noire in weeks. Still haven't finished it.

Played Infamous 2 for hours last night though, lots of fun. I like New Marais more than Empire City. Might try my hand at making a mission too.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #667
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:24 AM
Where does your disappointment come from as far as L.A. Noire? Were you expecting open-ended, sandbox gameplay because it had the Rockstar logo on it as publisher?

I haven't played it yet, myself.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:31 PM   #668
Blue Crack Supplier

I knew it wasn't open ended, so for me that wasn't it.

It just became very repetitive, and, there were no negative consequences regarding a pivotal part of the game. The interrogations are central to gameplay, and yet, even if you conduct a poor interrogation you can successfully close cases. So this diminishes your need to find every single clue at a crime scene, etc. I still tried my best but once it dawned on me that you could still advance without finding everything, or asking all the right questions, a lot of the sense of urgency dissipated for me. Also, the side missions, of which there are plenty, were very easy to complete, and, again, after a few very repetitive.

It almost felt like a film where the CGI is so important and vital to the filmmaker that things like story or performance seem to take a backseat. Maybe this is a poor analogy, but in the case of this game, the facial expressions and representations were amazing but perhaps the need to get that all right eclipsed other concerns.

I really did enjoy it at first, and again a little later when an overall story started to develop...but that didn't last.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:50 PM   #669
The Male

Maybe the sequel will be a great deal stronger? Seems like a great concept without a great deal of depth; perfect setup for a series, though hardly a perfect game.

I don't know why I've grown so cynical about sequels as of late...maybe it's the fact that I've started a couple of series from the beginning and I can see some flaws that were apparently fixed in the follow-ups. Hindsight and all that.

Now.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:51 PM   #670
Blue Crack Supplier

Mass

Effect

Amazing sequel.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:56 PM   #671
The Male

Between that, Resistance 3, Uncharted 3...shit, where are the new storylines anymore?

Not going to stop me from buying, and loving every last one of these games, mind. I'm just always thrilled when a great new series like Bioshock dominates or something really ingenious like LittleBigPlanet pops up.

Now.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:06 PM   #672
Blue Crack Supplier

Oh, in general I agree......I'd rather play a great new game than a great sequel...but there's room for both....and, truly, Mass Effect, at least to me, is on another level. Probably my favorite game since playing Ultima IV when I was a kid.

And on that note...I will begin Fallout Vegas now, since inFamous has been completed.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:19 PM   #673
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
I knew it wasn't open ended, so for me that wasn't it.

It just became very repetitive, and, there were no negative consequences regarding a pivotal part of the game. The interrogations are central to gameplay, and yet, even if you conduct a poor interrogation you can successfully close cases. So this diminishes your need to find every single clue at a crime scene, etc. I still tried my best but once it dawned on me that you could still advance without finding everything, or asking all the right questions, a lot of the sense of urgency dissipated for me. Also, the side missions, of which there are plenty, were very easy to complete, and, again, after a few very repetitive.

It almost felt like a film where the CGI is so important and vital to the filmmaker that things like story or performance seem to take a backseat. Maybe this is a poor analogy, but in the case of this game, the facial expressions and representations were amazing but perhaps the need to get that all right eclipsed other concerns.

I really did enjoy it at first, and again a little later when an overall story started to develop...but that didn't last.
That's how I feel, too. This article sums up the overall experience pretty well:

Tom Bissell reviews L. A. Noire, the latest hit game from Rockstar Games - Grantland
Old 07-04-2011, 03:53 AM   #674
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
That's how I feel, too. This article sums up the overall experience pretty well:

Tom Bissell reviews L. A. Noire, the latest hit game from Rockstar Games - Grantland
Fantastic article. Very tempted to pick up "Extra Lives" after reading that.

I went into LA Noire knowing well and good what it would be - I didn't want another standard Rockstar sandbox, and I knew that wasn't what I was going to get. My problem with the game is that it slowly, but surely, becomes incredibly dull. I'd like to elaborate further, but I really think that would be a waste of time.

(Infamous 2 is great, though. Play that shit).
Old 07-04-2011, 04:03 AM   #675
Blue Crack Supplier

After reading that whole article, I think none of us need ever comment on the game again.....it's all there already.

Fallout Vegas is underway, bugs and all.

inFamous 2 may soon get purchased.

Oh, and my Xbox live account was hacked and some schmuck bought over $100 of games via my account. Account is now frozen, my cc account cancelled with a new one to start on Wednesday. Fun times.