Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Restart and Reboot Yourself
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 02:01 PM   #541
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
Hah, yeah I didn't watch the conference so I missed all that. I think the main selling point will be having a traditional HD TV console for all the Nintendo and third party games everybody will love, and be able to take it around the house with you at will, which sounds like a minor thing, but I think it adds a pretty fundamental twist to the way people think about gaming outside of handheld devices. Also having a Nintendo console with proper online capabilities is a big selling point, regardless of whether that should have been achieved with the Wii or not. And yeah, I don't give two shits about graphical quality, and I don't think the majority of people playing games these days really do either, so with this new console Nintendo is essentially both caught up and ahead again of everything else on the market, and with a potentially genius central design conceit at the core.
Oh, I think you're wrong about graphics quality and the average player, but that's just been my observance.

The one thing that Reggie did say about the WiiU that he didn't mention in the press conference (obviously) was that it wouldn't have blu-ray. Whether or not it's going to have something similar/close to/better than Blu-ray, I don't know. But it leaves me wondering, as I mentioned before, but am reiterating for you since you said you didn't read back, is if we're once again going to have a Nintendo console that doesn't play movies.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:06 PM   #542
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
But it leaves me wondering, as I mentioned before, but am reiterating for you since you said you didn't read back, is if we're once again going to have a Nintendo console that doesn't play movies.
As well as expansive gaming. It's not even about graphics: Nintendo gamers are losing out on a lot of content by lack of blu-ray support. They're paying $50-60 for games that aren't worth at all what the $50-60 games on the PS3 and 360 are worth. And we'll be onto a superior format by the time Nintendo gets their act together. It took, what, 11 years for Nintendo to start using full-size discs after Sony did?

Now.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:31 PM   #543
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:53 AM
I'm sure the device will play DVDs or something similar if nothing else. How exactly did the lack of blu-ray hinder the 360? It didn't really. Plus, by the time we're onto a "superior format" digital streaming services will be even more prevalent and the whole thing will be far less of a factor for any console.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:32 PM   #544
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
They're paying $50-60 for games that aren't worth at all what the $50-60 games on the PS3 and 360 are worth.
Unless you're talking purely about budget (and even if you are, in a sense) this is maybe one of the more preposterous things I've ever heard.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:47 PM   #545
ONE
love, blood, life

Remember all that great Wii U HD game footage from the presser?

Yeahhhh, running on dev PS3s or 360s. Reggie got grilled during a Game Trailers interview about it.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:53 PM   #546
Blue Crack Addict

That kind of thing happens at literally every expo or similar press event for all sorts of systems and developers.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:42 PM   #547
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc

Unless you're talking purely about budget (and even if you are, in a sense) this is maybe one of the more preposterous things I've ever heard.
Can you explain to me why? If my claims are so preposterous, surely I need aid in understanding your argument.

The choices Nintendo has made on their formats has limited their consoles in content for over a decade. Cartridges over discs, mini discs over traditionally-sized discs, traditionally-sized discs over blu-ray, and now...well, no blu-ray, at the very least.

Point taken re: digital streaming services, but it's still bullshit.

Now.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:47 PM   #548
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
That kind of thing happens at literally every expo or similar press event for all sorts of systems and developers.
Indeed, but Nintendo is historically very mum on system specs. They can trot out all the Electronic Arts folks on stage as they want, but until we get to see some real third-party developer games in action the graphics are still a big question mark.

I am half and half on the new console lacking a DVD / Blu-Ray drive. Digital distribution is coming along nicely, and in fact 40% of all PS3 usage is Netflix these days. On the other hand, again we have fucking Nintendo being anal retentive and using a proprietary disc format.

Jesus Christ, guys, it's like their online strategy. They make it so hard for themselves.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:49 PM   #549
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
I'm sure the device will play DVDs or something similar if nothing else. How exactly did the lack of blu-ray hinder the 360? It didn't really. Plus, by the time we're onto a "superior format" digital streaming services will be even more prevalent and the whole thing will be far less of a factor for any console.
It didn't, but remember, the 360 also came out before that tech existed, though clearly whatever discs the Xbox uses (I really don't have a clue) work just as well as the PS3's.

If you'd seen the body language Reggie exhibited when being asked about Blu-Ray, you'd maybe understand my trepidation. The man just looked flat out embarrassed, possibly because he was being absolutely flayed by the interviewer.

It just seems to me that if the 360 had had the capability of playing Blu-Ray, it would. Nintendo has ALWAYS been behind when it comes to "other things" it's systems can do. While the playstation was playing audio Cds the N64 used cartridges. As the PS2 and Xbox were playing DVDs (though, admittedly, the XBox was a bit more difficult to do this with), the Gamecube had moved onto discs...tiny ones, and still couldn't even play CDs. While the Xbox, you could import your music collection into, and some games even had the capability of having that music play in game.

Now you've got the PS3: Blu-Ray; XBox 360: DVD; and the Wii....uh...can it play audio CDs yet even?

Why they're so insistent in not making their system an all-in-one is beyond me. BUT, it does look like they want to make a change in this regard, and I wish them all the best. Hopefully there will be many media options on the WiiU and it will be just as user friendly as the 360 is. That would be just damn spiffy.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:54 PM   #550
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Why they're so insistent in not making their system an all-in-one is beyond me. BUT, it does look like they want to make a change in this regard, and I wish them all the best. Hopefully there will be many media options on the WiiU and it will be just as user friendly as the 360 is. That would be just damn spiffy.
This is Nintendo we are talking about.

They deliver an amazing first-party experience, but are incredibly anal-retentive on their choice of storage medium. Every console, without fail.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:55 PM   #551
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
This is Nintendo we are talking about.

They deliver an amazing first-party experience, but are incredibly anal-retentive on their choice of storage medium. Every console, without fail.
Clearly, and a change NEEDS to be made. They can't ride on Luigi's Mansion's coattails forever.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:57 PM   #552
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212
They can't ride on Luigi's Mansion's coattails forever.
People are literally refusing to put their stock in that one.

Now.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:58 PM   #553
Blue Crack Addict

All true, but I don't know how much any of it really matters. Also the 360 uses standard DVDs. But as long as it plays the games, I don't see the big deal. Does anyone really need to use their Nintendo system for every possible medium? Who at this point, who's going to want to do it, doesn't already have one of the two systems with DVD (or blu-ray) capabilities or simply a dedicated player if it's important to them? Same with whatever the next big proprietary format will be. Nintendo sells their shit to play the shit they make, and that other publishers will make for them, and they're unfathomably successful at it. I'm also sure the majority of those types of decisions they make are to keep the cost of their hardware at the minimal possible manufacturing price so that they can sell them competitively as they do and still make boatloads of money. I know there's speculation the new system will cost more than the Wii did, but I seriously doubt it will be the $400 (or more) the current generation of systems premiered at. Hell the only reason 3DS costs so much is because they actually DID load it with new technology for a change, but it certainly wasn't to "catch up" to smart-phones or what Sony is doing. I don't know, despite not owning a Gamecube or Wii (I wish I did own a Wii currently, however since there's such a great batch of software I wish I had constant access to) I've always admired Nintendo for doing their own thing and carving out a market for themselves almost independent of what it's "competitors" are doing. Doesn't seem like they're changing their M.O. up all that much here.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:59 PM   #554
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Clearly, and a change NEEDS to be made.
Yeah, I just don't see this at all. Why?
Old 06-08-2011, 04:02 PM   #555
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Yeah, I just don't see this at all. Why?
For me, it just feels like Nintendo's either being stubborn or are just completely unaware, though. I mean, there was a time in my life where I did only have one system, and it was the Gamecube, and it was frustrating, the fact that I couldn't use it as a DVD player, since I didn't have one of those either (I was living with my dad for a summer, so a lot of myself was packed up at my mom's waiting for me to go to college).

Even now, I'm so glad I've got a fucking PS2 again. I hate hate hate switching between the DVD player and the Wii, because I am a lazy person. It's like the appeal of the iPhone. I want something that does EVERYTHING. And I'm sure I'm not alone in that regard.

All that being said, we're *probably* arguing a moot point. As you've said, we are definitely moving in the direction of disc-less media, and this will probably, likely, be a non-factor by the time the WiiU rolls around. Or, hey, maybe it'll play DVDs and then it will DEFINITELY be a non-factor.