Video Game thread II: Super Scumbo Bros

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hah, yeah I didn't watch the conference so I missed all that. I think the main selling point will be having a traditional HD TV console for all the Nintendo and third party games everybody will love, and be able to take it around the house with you at will, which sounds like a minor thing, but I think it adds a pretty fundamental twist to the way people think about gaming outside of handheld devices. Also having a Nintendo console with proper online capabilities is a big selling point, regardless of whether that should have been achieved with the Wii or not. And yeah, I don't give two shits about graphical quality, and I don't think the majority of people playing games these days really do either, so with this new console Nintendo is essentially both caught up and ahead again of everything else on the market, and with a potentially genius central design conceit at the core.

Oh, I think you're wrong about graphics quality and the average player, but that's just been my observance.

The one thing that Reggie did say about the WiiU that he didn't mention in the press conference (obviously) was that it wouldn't have blu-ray. Whether or not it's going to have something similar/close to/better than Blu-ray, I don't know. But it leaves me wondering, as I mentioned before, but am reiterating for you since you said you didn't read back, is if we're once again going to have a Nintendo console that doesn't play movies.

But it leaves me wondering, as I mentioned before, but am reiterating for you since you said you didn't read back, is if we're once again going to have a Nintendo console that doesn't play movies.

As well as expansive gaming. It's not even about graphics: Nintendo gamers are losing out on a lot of content by lack of blu-ray support. They're paying $50-60 for games that aren't worth at all what the $50-60 games on the PS3 and 360 are worth. And we'll be onto a superior format by the time Nintendo gets their act together. It took, what, 11 years for Nintendo to start using full-size discs after Sony did?

I'm sure the device will play DVDs or something similar if nothing else. How exactly did the lack of blu-ray hinder the 360? It didn't really. Plus, by the time we're onto a "superior format" digital streaming services will be even more prevalent and the whole thing will be far less of a factor for any console.

They're paying $50-60 for games that aren't worth at all what the $50-60 games on the PS3 and 360 are worth.

Unless you're talking purely about budget (and even if you are, in a sense) this is maybe one of the more preposterous things I've ever heard.

Remember all that great Wii U HD game footage from the presser?

Yeahhhh, running on dev PS3s or 360s. Reggie got grilled during a Game Trailers interview about it.

That kind of thing happens at literally every expo or similar press event for all sorts of systems and developers.

Lancemc said:
Unless you're talking purely about budget (and even if you are, in a sense) this is maybe one of the more preposterous things I've ever heard.

Can you explain to me why? If my claims are so preposterous, surely I need aid in understanding your argument.

The choices Nintendo has made on their formats has limited their consoles in content for over a decade. Cartridges over discs, mini discs over traditionally-sized discs, traditionally-sized discs over blu-ray, and now...well, no blu-ray, at the very least.

Point taken re: digital streaming services, but it's still bullshit.

That kind of thing happens at literally every expo or similar press event for all sorts of systems and developers.
Indeed, but Nintendo is historically very mum on system specs. They can trot out all the Electronic Arts folks on stage as they want, but until we get to see some real third-party developer games in action the graphics are still a big question mark.

I am half and half on the new console lacking a DVD / Blu-Ray drive. Digital distribution is coming along nicely, and in fact 40% of all PS3 usage is Netflix these days. On the other hand, again we have fucking Nintendo being anal retentive and using a proprietary disc format.

Jesus Christ, guys, it's like their online strategy. They make it so hard for themselves.

I'm sure the device will play DVDs or something similar if nothing else. How exactly did the lack of blu-ray hinder the 360? It didn't really. Plus, by the time we're onto a "superior format" digital streaming services will be even more prevalent and the whole thing will be far less of a factor for any console.

It didn't, but remember, the 360 also came out before that tech existed, though clearly whatever discs the Xbox uses (I really don't have a clue) work just as well as the PS3's.

If you'd seen the body language Reggie exhibited when being asked about Blu-Ray, you'd maybe understand my trepidation. The man just looked flat out embarrassed, possibly because he was being absolutely flayed by the interviewer.

It just seems to me that if the 360 had had the capability of playing Blu-Ray, it would. Nintendo has ALWAYS been behind when it comes to "other things" it's systems can do. While the playstation was playing audio Cds the N64 used cartridges. As the PS2 and Xbox were playing DVDs (though, admittedly, the XBox was a bit more difficult to do this with), the Gamecube had moved onto discs...tiny ones, and still couldn't even play CDs. While the Xbox, you could import your music collection into, and some games even had the capability of having that music play in game.

Now you've got the PS3: Blu-Ray; XBox 360: DVD; and the Wii....uh...can it play audio CDs yet even?

Why they're so insistent in not making their system an all-in-one is beyond me. BUT, it does look like they want to make a change in this regard, and I wish them all the best. Hopefully there will be many media options on the WiiU and it will be just as user friendly as the 360 is. That would be just damn spiffy.

Why they're so insistent in not making their system an all-in-one is beyond me. BUT, it does look like they want to make a change in this regard, and I wish them all the best. Hopefully there will be many media options on the WiiU and it will be just as user friendly as the 360 is. That would be just damn spiffy.
This is Nintendo we are talking about.

They deliver an amazing first-party experience, but are incredibly anal-retentive on their choice of storage medium. Every console, without fail.

This is Nintendo we are talking about.

They deliver an amazing first-party experience, but are incredibly anal-retentive on their choice of storage medium. Every console, without fail.

Clearly, and a change NEEDS to be made. They can't ride on Luigi's Mansion's coattails forever.

All true, but I don't know how much any of it really matters. Also the 360 uses standard DVDs. But as long as it plays the games, I don't see the big deal. Does anyone really need to use their Nintendo system for every possible medium? Who at this point, who's going to want to do it, doesn't already have one of the two systems with DVD (or blu-ray) capabilities or simply a dedicated player if it's important to them? Same with whatever the next big proprietary format will be. Nintendo sells their shit to play the shit they make, and that other publishers will make for them, and they're unfathomably successful at it. I'm also sure the majority of those types of decisions they make are to keep the cost of their hardware at the minimal possible manufacturing price so that they can sell them competitively as they do and still make boatloads of money. I know there's speculation the new system will cost more than the Wii did, but I seriously doubt it will be the $400 (or more) the current generation of systems premiered at. Hell the only reason 3DS costs so much is because they actually DID load it with new technology for a change, but it certainly wasn't to "catch up" to smart-phones or what Sony is doing. I don't know, despite not owning a Gamecube or Wii (I wish I did own a Wii currently, however since there's such a great batch of software I wish I had constant access to) I've always admired Nintendo for doing their own thing and carving out a market for themselves almost independent of what it's "competitors" are doing. Doesn't seem like they're changing their M.O. up all that much here.

Yeah, I just don't see this at all. Why?

For me, it just feels like Nintendo's either being stubborn or are just completely unaware, though. I mean, there was a time in my life where I did only have one system, and it was the Gamecube, and it was frustrating, the fact that I couldn't use it as a DVD player, since I didn't have one of those either (I was living with my dad for a summer, so a lot of myself was packed up at my mom's waiting for me to go to college).

Even now, I'm so glad I've got a fucking PS2 again. I hate hate hate switching between the DVD player and the Wii, because I am a lazy person. It's like the appeal of the iPhone. I want something that does EVERYTHING. And I'm sure I'm not alone in that regard.

All that being said, we're *probably* arguing a moot point. As you've said, we are definitely moving in the direction of disc-less media, and this will probably, likely, be a non-factor by the time the WiiU rolls around. Or, hey, maybe it'll play DVDs and then it will DEFINITELY be a non-factor.

Lancemc said:
Nintendo sells their shit to play the shit they make, and that other publishers will make for them

Lance, as much as this former Nintendo fanboy appreciates your "haters gonna hate" message, the change is due because publishers AREN'T making shit for them anymore. 3rd party support is very limited, and this costs their consumers unique gaming experiences. It also weakens their ports (the Wii was especially awful about this, sacrificing content and dumbing down gameplay, especially in Madden), and it's all due to limitations in their consoles' hardware specs, as well as their format choices. Also, what makes Nintendo unique now outside of their first party games - their peripherals - won't be unique for very long, and now that they've revealed part of their hand, Sony and Microsoft will catch up more quickly than ever.

Also, a more minor complaint: the constant flux in format choices make backwards compatability an impossibility. I treasure that in a gaming console personally, although I realize many do not.

It's like the appeal of the iPhone. I want something that does EVERYTHING. And I'm sure I'm not alone in that regard.
All true, but I don't know how much any of it really matters. Also the 360 uses standard DVDs. But as long as it plays the games, I don't see the big deal. Does anyone really need to use their Nintendo system for every possible medium?
30% of ALL Netflix streaming usage comes from PS3 users, using their ''hardcore HD gamer console'' as a set top box to watch movies.

The console is no longer a dedicated gaming device. Convergence, convergence, convergence.

At this point there is absolutely NO excuse for Nintendo to be sticking a proprietary disc drive in their consoles anymore. Reading the spec sheet for the Wii U I was thinking, ''Not this shit again, Nintendo.''

30% of ALL Netflix streaming usage comes from PS3 users, using their ''hardcore HD gamer console'' as a set top box to watch movies.

The console is no longer a dedicated gaming device. Convergence, convergence, convergence.

At this point there is absolutely NO excuse for Nintendo to be sticking a proprietary disc drive in their consoles anymore. Reading the spec sheet for the Wii U I was thinking, ''Not this shit again, Nintendo.''

Excuse me for asking a personal question, but, do you work in this field, or a similar one?

The WiiU has already been confirmed to use a 25GB proprietary disc. They don't want to pay the fees to use blu-ray, which shouldn't be surprising to anyone. I don't think I have ever seen Nintendo try to market their consoles as anything but a GAMING hub. I'm not really sure why people continually get upset and disappointed in this.

mass effect 3 stuff on scattered e3 videos looks pretty nice...

Firstly, I'm so non-invested in any of this, I'm not quite sure why I'm arguing so strongly on Nintendo's behalf, heh. But anyway, I never said PS3's or Xboxes weren't found in homes belonging to anyone outside the hardcore, although that same statistic doesn't necessarily say most of those PS3's using netflix aren't also being used for core-centric gaming. Anyway, I'm all for convergent media (to a point), but Nintendo has always felt like something of a special case to me, a company so defined by gaming as its central motivating principle, as a medium about fun, accessibility and family as much as hardcore obsessive gaming, but always gaming. And I'm sure, like with the Wii (though it took it a while to get there) Wii U will surely embrace home entertainment streaming services like Netflix or Hulu and so on. But I honestly don't see anything wrong with them pushing their product as a purely game-centric piece of merch. It's all about the software though, and we all know their first-party stuff is nearly unmatched - there's more creative and artful design in a single stage of Donkey Kong Country Returns than in the entire collective output of most studios. I also think it's a bit of a myth regarding third-party support on Nintendo's consoles. I mean, in terms of sheer quantity of major titles and recognizable franchise support it doesn't match Sony or Microsoft, but there are a good number of outstanding games, unique to Wii, from third party developers that nobody simply knows about because they never took off or weren't marketed well - off the top of my head just stuff like Zack & Wiki, Muramasa, Mad World, Boom Blox, No More Heroes, etc. I hardly think it's a tragedy if people can't get their Call of Duty or GTA on a Nintendo console. Like I said before, I just feel that they do their thing, and they do it exceedingly well and offer unique experiences that actually at least try to expand the way people think about and play games, and that's all they ever have to do, so who gives a shit about if they do it on a blu-ray disc or in HD (the fact they do HD now alone is exciting, though I'm not going to throw a fit if their graphical horsepower remains a generation or a half behind the rest... it's so irrelevant.)

Haters gonna hate.

ME3 = pwnage of my soul. Skyrim and Gears will help ease my "I cannot fucking wait" pains.

Oh and Batman.

And Deus Ex.

LA Noire is getting very repetitive for me. Still liking it, but not really loving it.

Saw a Red Dead Redemption van yesterday, cannot believe that game came out over a year ago. Now that was some good shit.

Firstly, I'm so non-invested in any of this, I'm not quite sure why I'm arguing so strongly on Nintendo's behalf, heh. But anyway, I never said PS3's or Xboxes weren't found in homes belonging to anyone outside the hardcore, although that same statistic doesn't necessarily say most of those PS3's using netflix aren't also being used for core-centric gaming. Anyway, I'm all for convergent media (to a point), but Nintendo has always felt like something of a special case to me, a company so defined by gaming as its central motivating principle, as a medium about fun, accessibility and family as much as hardcore obsessive gaming, but always gaming. And I'm sure, like with the Wii (though it took it a while to get there) Wii U will surely embrace home entertainment streaming services like Netflix or Hulu and so on. But I honestly don't see anything wrong with them pushing their product as a purely game-centric piece of merch. It's all about the software though, and we all know their first-party stuff is nearly unmatched - there's more creative and artful design in a single stage of Donkey Kong Country Returns than in the entire collective output of most studios. I also think it's a bit of a myth regarding third-party support on Nintendo's consoles. I mean, in terms of sheer quantity of major titles and recognizable franchise support it doesn't match Sony or Microsoft, but there are a good number of outstanding games, unique to Wii, from third party developers that nobody simply knows about because they never took off or weren't marketed well - off the top of my head just stuff like Zack & Wiki, Muramasa, Mad World, Boom Blox, No More Heroes, etc. I hardly think it's a tragedy if people can't get their Call of Duty or GTA on a Nintendo console. Like I said before, I just feel that they do their thing, and they do it exceedingly well and offer unique experiences that actually at least try to expand the way people think about and play games, and that's all they ever have to do, so who gives a shit about if they do it on a blu-ray disc or in HD (the fact they do HD now alone is exciting, though I'm not going to throw a fit if their graphical horsepower remains a generation or a half behind the rest... it's so irrelevant.)

Haters gonna hate.

Mise en scène

The thing about the Wii-U is that, for all the faults in the presentation, it's an HD Nintendo console. I honestly couldn't care less what the hell else it does as long as it has some good games.

It's all about the software though, and we all know their first-party stuff is nearly unmatched - there's more creative and artful design in a single stage of Donkey Kong Country Returns than in the entire collective output of most studios.

Fuck yes. What a game.

LA Noire is getting very repetitive for me. Still liking it, but not really loving it.

Saw a Red Dead Redemption van yesterday, cannot believe that game came out over a year ago. Now that was some good shit.

Yeah, same here. Finally crawled through the homicide cases, and am a little less keen on setting into the second half. I've heard that it gets better during Vice, though. But, now that you mention RDR, I'm worried that LA Noire is going down the same path for me - highly anticipated it, love it at first, and then come to the slow realisation that it's kinda boring and repetitive and that I have no interest in finishing it. At least I don't have to ride a fucking horse to the next case.

So, yeah, this fall is going to be a nightmare for my wallet. Just listening the games that I can't imagine myself ever passing on, I'm leaving out a few I'm undecided on, and sure some others could pop up:

Sept 13 - Rage
Sept 20 - Gears of War 3
Oct 4 - Dark Souls
Oct 18 - Batman: Arkham City
Oct 25 - Battlefield 3
Nov 1 - Uncharted 3: Drakes Deception
Nov 8 - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Nov 11 - Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim
Nov 15 - Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary
Fall - Kinect Sports 2

That's not mentioning things coming in August or very early 2012. :|

Status