Video Game thread II: Super Scumbo Bros

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait...wait...wait...THIS is the new console? I thought this was just a last thing for the Wii.

How the fuck is this anything new? It's not a new system is it? It's just a controller you purchase...or did I miss something?

OK, here we go:

11:00AM PDT
Reggie, Zelda, NGP and More
Streaming Live on GameTrailers.com
The big man Reggie Fils-Aime meets up with Geoff – and this time it’s live! You don’t want to miss this interview. Plus, the first ever demo of THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: SKYWARD SWORD. Sony stops by with the NGP and some of the just-announced games for the system. Plus, more surprise demos we can’t talk about yet and game designer Michel Ancel brings by an exclusive new look at RAYMAN: ORIGINS.

I'll go ahead and check that out as well.

It's a new system, they just didn't show a single thing being developed for it (that wasn't being developed for 360 and PS3), so all the talk about how it's hardware "blows away both 360 and PS3" is still entirely unproven. What a terrible way to show new hardware, Kinect and Move's tech demos looked far more impressive than this. If it was still too early to show anything, why not just talk about it for 5 minutes and move on?

It's a new system, they just didn't show a single thing being developed for it (that wasn't being developed for 360 and PS3), so all the talk about how it's hardware "blows away both 360 and PS3" is still entirely unproven. What a terrible way to show new hardware, Kinect and Move's tech demos looked far more impressive than this. If it was still too early to show anything, why not just talk about it for 5 minutes and move on?

Yeah, the E3 guys are giving them shit about that right now, the fact that the whole event (can't think of the word I'm wanting to use) was a little mix-matched and not quite ready.

I'm glad that the ability to play call on a system that's not on the screen is back again, that's great.

I hope that in the year from now until it comes out they make some huge changes. It feels too much like the Wii with just a little bit different, and this is supposed to be the Next Next gen. Right now it just looks like it's finally catching up to XBox and PS3.

It'll be interesting to see if people find the controller comfortable or not on the show floor. It looks crazily uncomfortable from a normal "controller" stand point based on the videos.

The one video demo they bothered to show (not gameplay, of course) appeared to be on par with current-gen systems. As always, Nintendo is a step behind in that regard; my expectations were understandably low there.

Between that, the unoriginal name and the peripherals we've seen, it doesn't look as if this new console will be a great enough departure from its predecessor to even stake a claim on originality, but if developers are impressed enough by the hardware to start offering original titles and third-party support, there may be hope. But, of course, that's impossible to gauge based on what we've seen.

It'll be interesting to see if people find the controller comfortable or not on the show floor. It looks crazily uncomfortable from a normal "controller" stand point based on the videos.

Yeah, the whole reason I'm not interested in the slightest in a tablet is because it looks awkwardly big, and this thing looks to be about the same size as one of those.

I'll be honest, I'm super disappointed that we're still going to be using Wiimotes. I was hoping they'd phase those out for something a little less awkward. At least a wireless hookup between the Nunchuck and the Wiimote. Unless that already exists and I missed out.

Now you're still going to have to get Wiimotes, I assume the classic controller will still be an option AND the new controller $$$$$

The one video demo they bothered to show (not gameplay, of course) appeared to be on par with current-gen systems. As always, Nintendo is a step behind in that regard; my expectations were understandably low there.

Between that, the unoriginal name and the peripherals we've seen, it doesn't look as if this new console will be a great enough departure from its predecessor to even stake a claim on originality, but if developers are impressed enough by the hardware to start offering original titles and third-party support, there may be hope. But, of course, that's impossible to gauge based on what we've seen.

It seems that Third-Party developers are actually willingly seeking out making games for the new system, so they must know something we don't. THAT, I admit, I am optimistic about. I mean, the Madden game didn't look like something made for a 5 year old. This could be a VERY nice departure.

It's obvious that they just wanted to show off the controller hardware and not the actual console specs yet.

I'm thinking they are waiting for developers (and their own teams) to make a little more progress on the titles before they show what the software will look like. The tech demo with the bird flying around japan was to show zomgtehgrafiX whores out there that games will look nice on the system.

Also, I'm guessing they aren't completely decided on everything about the console yet. Or maybe they want to alter the design or internal hardware a little bit before they really showcase everything. Yeah, it made it seem like they were coming out too early, but Nintendo probably felt that they needed to show something NOW to create buzz for WiiU instead of waiting until the next big conference when it would already be closer to a release, and thus have less time to gain steam.

Still watching the stream and this Reggie guy's talking again. They asked him about the console and he's evading evading evading.

I'm starting to think that wasn't a new console at all, it was just the Wii, and that Nintendo's not actually done with any of this and all we saw was a pretty video they put together :conspiracytheory:

They got it out of him that it won't be Blu-Ray, which isn't a shock, but I'm nervous that once again this means the Nintendo won't play movies.

Oh, also, apologies for being dense, somehow I'm so behind on Zelda news, I didn't realize Skyward Sword was debuted at last year's E3. Even if it's not out yet, obviously they wouldn't be using a game we already knew about when they're too busy pimping a new system.

But I still don't know why they didn't show any Ocarina footage.

Reggie is getting his ass handed to him right now.

"So...will this have better 3rd party support?"

"It will have all of your favorites! Mario, Zelda, Mario...all of them!"

"Was that the console right there?"

"Consoles are just a box. Not important."

"Will it look as good as blu-ray? Will it play blu-ray?"

"We don't compare ourselves to others."

Fuuuuuuck.

I recognize that the quality was higher, obviously, but the fact was again, I felt like they were only a LITTLE bit ahead of something that already exists.

Isn't this exactly what Microsoft and Sony are trying to do with Move and Kinect? Basically trying to catch up to Nintendo when it comes to motion control. Except they are still behind.

So graphics are what define new video game generations? Not the games/consoles or how you play them?

Graphics are a big part of it, yes, but at the end of the day, the motion sensitivity that the Wii offered was innovative and is only just now being replicated (possibly because Sony and Microsoft had no interest in doing it or, at least for Microsoft, they were too busy trying to come up with something better). However, at least in my experience, there were far too many moments where I'd've rather had a controller and not had to deal with the motion at all.

What I'm getting at here (sorry, I've had like no sleep and I'm having a hard time getting my thoughts to converge), is that, no, graphics aren't everything, and yes, innovation is incredibly important, but what WiiU is offering to the world, as it stands today, is an augmentation of something they already had, plus getting up to speed with what all of the CURRENT Gen consoles already possess: HD, Internet, a better Virtual Store. When the Sony and Microsoft next gens come out, they'll have had plenty of time to observe what Nintendo's done with the WiiU, utilize what they can/want from it, and then once again blow it out of the water graphically.

The good news is that at least the Wii will have a year or two on top. But when all I see them doing right now with the 3DS is re-purposing old games and acting like they have something new to offer, it makes me worried for what the future in Nintendo titles is going to have to offer.

I'm just generally underwhelmed/disappointed because I've been a hardcore Nintendo supporter since I was a kid, but I feel like they've lost their grip ever since the Gamecube and haven't been able to quite find a way back on top.

Speaking of Minecraft, don't think it's been mentioned, but it will be on 360 later this year (with Kinect support, like everything else).

Bonoz2012, seems like most of the gaming forums are interpreting the console the same as you. Since they showed nothing to prove other wise, it looks just like a "catch up to where we should have been on the Wii in the first place" type release. They really should have at least showed SOMETHING that looked better than present gen consoles, as the hardware is "supposed" to better based on everything that's been leaked online from developers.

The strange thing is that we won't know more until Tokyo Game Show or the next E3, and by that time both Microsoft and Sony could announce their next systems for 2014, and Wii-U (It's going to be so easy to come with names to mock this title) could already look outdated before it's even released.

I think Nintendo have wised up with the Wii U, as there does seem to be some recognition of their lack of consistent third party support, with most of the bigger titles of this gen will be making their way over to Nintendo (you can argue it's a bit too late or that nobody will bother as they already have them for their current consoles), I still think that coupled with Nintendo's own distinctive IPs, will give the console some of the widest variety of gaming. My Super Mario Fallout Battlefield Zelda crossover will become a reality.

I'm not sure Sony's and Microsoft's next gen consoles will be such a dramatic leap in graphics though (costs and what not, but that's just my own guess). And Nintendo seem to be keeping the main unit under wraps, so maybe they are not settled on it, but what I've been reading of folks who have played it and seen is that it is the most powerful console there is at the moment, just not sure the tech demos have demonstrated that yet.

The controller is apparently quite comfortable to use though, while some have been complaining that the Vita is a bit awkward.

So graphics are what define new video game generations? Not the games/consoles or how you play them?

Graphics are probably the number one thing that define the new generations. I don't know how you would argue against that

I'll buy a Wii U at the right price point. I think people are underestimating how the thing could potentially change the way people play games at home, especially anyone outside of the teenage-adult hardcore demographic. Essentially turning the home TV console into a portable tablet for gaming, with what most impressions are saying is an incredibly comfortable ergonomic and light design, could be another game-changer. Or maybe it won't be. I think people play up the importance of "innovation" too much too. Video game consoles have remained more or less exactly the same for decades now aside from the incorporation of online play. Whatever. It's a Nintendo console that will have a number of great games on it, just like everything they've ever released to varying degrees of success. :shrug:

All this said without back-reading a single page here, so forgive me if I'm way off base. Anyway, Skyrim, Prey 2, Mass Effect 3, Journey, etc etc. Lots of great games on display this year. Can't wait.

I don't at all doubt that it will be better than what they've shown, I just think that Nintendo are complete idiots for the way they introduced it to everyone in their press conference. Not a single word about the hardware other than the controller, nothing what so ever about exclusives, nothing what so ever about it's supposed "power", not a single real game, etc. It also blew my mind that they somehow thought that "it can play games you can play on other systems!" would be a major selling point in a press conference. No shit, Nintendo, that should have been a damn given that it can play those games. Show me what it can do that the other systems CAN'T do that isn't related to the not so revolutionary gimmick of the controller now being exactly like the second screen on a DS. Wow, I can turn the tv off and play on a tiny controller at night? Cool, the headphones I've had for years and years and years already solved that problem.

The worry is that it'll essentially be Dreamcast all over again from a business standpoint. A system that's a small step above present generation consoles, but get's crushed technically by Sony and Microsoft's systems when they come a year or two later.

I don't at all doubt that it will be better than what they've shown, I just think that Nintendo are complete idiots for the way they introduced it to everyone in their press conference. Not a single word about the hardware other than the controller, nothing what so ever about exclusives, nothing what so ever about it's supposed "power", not a single real game, etc. It also blew my mind that they somehow thought that "it can play games you can play on other systems!" would be a major selling point in a press conference. No shit, Nintendo, that should have been a damn given that it can play those games. Show me what it can do that the other systems CAN'T do that isn't related to the not so revolutionary gimmick of the controller now being exactly like the second screen on a DS. Wow, I can turn the tv off and play on a tiny controller at night? Cool, the headphones I've had for years and years and years already solved that problem.

Oh man, you missed out on Reggie's interview after the press conference was over. LeMel and I were mocking about it in here, but pretty much the gist of it is that he just would NOT talk about the console itself. I don't have a clue what's going on with that.

In other news, I picked up a PS2 at a garage sale last weekend and God of War II. I don't often beat video games, it's not that I don't have the attention span for it or anything, I just never seem to have time and then lose track of the story and then lose interest. That being said, I've had a lot of free time this week, and I just took that bitch out. What an awesome/infuriating franchise.

I played some of God of War III while I had a PS3, but didn't get too far into it, so I really had no clue how infuriatingly difficult some of the puzzles could be. Ended up consulting a strategy guide about 30% of the time :doh:.

Anyways, just thought I'd share.

Hah, yeah I didn't watch the conference so I missed all that. I think the main selling point will be having a traditional HD TV console for all the Nintendo and third party games everybody will love, and be able to take it around the house with you at will, which sounds like a minor thing, but I think it adds a pretty fundamental twist to the way people think about gaming outside of handheld devices. Also having a Nintendo console with proper online capabilities is a big selling point, regardless of whether that should have been achieved with the Wii or not. And yeah, I don't give two shits about graphical quality, and I don't think the majority of people playing games these days really do either, so with this new console Nintendo is essentially both caught up and ahead again of everything else on the market, and with a potentially genius central design conceit at the core.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom