Video Game thread II: Super Scumbo Bros - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Restart and Reboot Yourself
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-19-2011, 12:16 PM   #226
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 01:07 PM
Awesome.

You should stick to ME2 until I can play the Beta.
__________________

__________________
No spoken words is offline  
Old 04-19-2011, 12:21 PM   #227
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 36,961
Local Time: 03:07 PM
Haha, no worries there. I randomly pre-ordered SOCOM from Amazon, and it's sitting on my porch right now. I'll probably split some time between it and ME2 for the rest of the week. I'm visiting my parents starting Friday morning anyways, so I won't be around for any gaming.
__________________

__________________
u2popmofo is offline  
Old 04-19-2011, 10:50 PM   #228
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Rachel D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Under a Pile of Words
Posts: 5,840
Local Time: 03:07 PM
I am currently fangirling over the new Skyrim screenshots that were just released. There are more besides these.





Khajiit 5.0!


Screencap I made of the trailer a while back:
__________________
Rachel D. is offline  
Old 04-19-2011, 10:51 PM   #229
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 01:07 PM
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Elder Scrolls.
__________________
No spoken words is offline  
Old 04-19-2011, 11:22 PM   #230
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 12,378
Local Time: 04:07 PM


Those look... amazing.
__________________
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 04-20-2011, 08:42 AM   #231
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,448
Local Time: 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words
Wow, you played the shit out of it.

I got through Q School and onto the tour, and won a tournament in Hawaii. Have to play my next tournament, etc, and progress. I am playing 4 round tournaments, so this might take awhile.

Congrats on the US Open win.
Oh I developed a mild obsession
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 04-20-2011, 11:22 AM   #232
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 01:07 PM
I decided to start over at a higher difficulty.
__________________
No spoken words is offline  
Old 04-20-2011, 11:26 AM   #233
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,448
Local Time: 04:07 PM
i'm trying to get my levels up on whatever the 2nd level is called again before i bump it up to the next difficulty level
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 04-20-2011, 11:42 AM   #234
Blue Crack Addict
 
RavenBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The majestic Canuckian wilderness
Posts: 17,103
Local Time: 06:07 PM
Been going through New Vegas again. Patches they have released have certainly helped with the freezing issues.. a much more enjoyable playthrough this time.. and still finding things and places that I hadn't before
__________________
RavenBlue is offline  
Old 04-21-2011, 12:45 AM   #235
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
mobvok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: boom clap
Posts: 4,430
Local Time: 01:07 PM
Whew, just finished the Portal 2 single player. Took about....6 hours or so, but I'm sure I'm going back soon to check the developer's commentary.

Effusive praise is more boring to read than criticism, at least in my view, so let's just stipulate that anything you might have read about P2 is correct-it's really really well done.

So a few quibbles: I do understand that it's necessary to re-introduce the game mechanics, but the very start of the game isn't friendly to those who already know what's going on because the load screens happen very often. It felt like every 60-90 seconds I had to stop and wait, and that pulled me out of the momentum a little. Second, the middle part of the game felt slightly adrift both narratively and gameplay wise. There's a period where it's not really clear what Chell's purpose is, beyond a simple down = bad, up = escape symbolism. And then between reaching the second section and discovering the white goop, Valve leans a little too heavily on unportal-able walls in a way that hurts the inherent value of the Portal Gun.

Finally, this room made me give up and look online for the solution:

Boooooo

All that aside, it must be said that Ellen McLain, J.K. Simmons, and Stephen Merchant did an amazing/tremendous job voice acting. Such a fantastic trio to play off one another.
__________________
mobvok is online now  
Old 04-21-2011, 12:50 AM   #236
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
i'm trying to get my levels up on whatever the 2nd level is called again before i bump it up to the next difficulty level
I'm at whatever is one up from "Pro" now. PGA Pro? Tour Pro? Something like that. You lose the putt preview ability and, for me, that's a huge loss.
__________________
No spoken words is offline  
Old 04-21-2011, 12:50 AM   #237
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenBlue View Post
Been going through New Vegas again. Patches they have released have certainly helped with the freezing issues.. a much more enjoyable playthrough this time.. and still finding things and places that I hadn't before
RB, mine is sitting unopened...gonna play soon...was waiting for the patches, etc....
__________________
No spoken words is offline  
Old 04-21-2011, 09:48 AM   #238
Blue Crack Addict
 
Lancemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ba Sing Se
Posts: 17,665
Local Time: 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobvok View Post
Finally, this room made me give up and look online for the solution:
Boooooo
Hah. That was a tricky one, yeah. Took me about 20 minutes before I got it on my own though. Fantastic stuff. I do agree with your general criticisms, but I hardly think they blemish the overall work. The first game was pristine, refined, perfect in its execution of a single wonderful idea. In expanding it to a full title, of course there's no way you wouldn't suffer some minor pacing or narrative issues. In fact I do think this might be Valve's weakest narrative to date, outside of the purely multiplayer efforts of course, since it relies a bit too much on pure verbal exposition and such. Oh well. I still think this might be one of, if not the greatest game I've ever played. I'm not sure I've encountered anything so consistently surprising in its design, creativity and humor (speaking of which, it's certainly the most successful video game comedy I've encountered). Half-Life 2 and Portal are potentially my favorite works in the medium, so I went into this one with exceedingly high expectations, and have to admit it rather well surpassed them.

Also, I think I completely the single player in about 8 or 9 hours. But that was kind of taking my time, playing around with the gels quite a bit, listening to the dialogue, exploring the environment, etc. Really looking forward tot he co-op and inevitable DLC. Upon finishing a game I've also never felt such immediately anxiety for more of it. I could really play new content of this endlessly for months upon months. Which isn't at all a criticism of the length of the main game.
__________________
Lancemc is offline  
Old 04-21-2011, 10:08 AM   #239
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,448
Local Time: 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
I'm at whatever is one up from "Pro" now. PGA Pro? Tour Pro? Something like that. You lose the putt preview ability and, for me, that's a huge loss.
i'd suck a big one without putt preview.
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 04-21-2011, 05:27 PM   #240
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
mobvok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: boom clap
Posts: 4,430
Local Time: 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
Hah. That was a tricky one, yeah. Took me about 20 minutes before I got it on my own though. Fantastic stuff. I do agree with your general criticisms, but I hardly think they blemish the overall work. The first game was pristine, refined, perfect in its execution of a single wonderful idea. In expanding it to a full title, of course there's no way you wouldn't suffer some minor pacing or narrative issues. In fact I do think this might be Valve's weakest narrative to date, outside of the purely multiplayer efforts of course, since it relies a bit too much on pure verbal exposition and such. Oh well. I still think this might be one of, if not the greatest game I've ever played. I'm not sure I've encountered anything so consistently surprising in its design, creativity and humor (speaking of which, it's certainly the most successful video game comedy I've encountered). Half-Life 2 and Portal are potentially my favorite works in the medium, so I went into this one with exceedingly high expectations, and have to admit it rather well surpassed them.

Also, I think I completely the single player in about 8 or 9 hours. But that was kind of taking my time, playing around with the gels quite a bit, listening to the dialogue, exploring the environment, etc. Really looking forward tot he co-op and inevitable DLC. Upon finishing a game I've also never felt such immediately anxiety for more of it. I could really play new content of this endlessly for months upon months. Which isn't at all a criticism of the length of the main game.
Oh yeah no doubt they are not significant issues, but it's still something I think worth saying that normally would be lost in 3,000 words of praise.

I do definitely get the feeling that Portal/Portal 2 will have just as solid a legacy as something like Half Life/Half Life 2. ....Speaking of which, I suspect the reason we've heard squat about Episode 3 or Half Life 3 is that Valve is having just as hard a time thinking of a way to top HL2.

In other words, I'm curious if Portal 2 will be the last big Portal title. These two games are pretty amazing documents as is.
__________________

__________________
mobvok is online now  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com