Video Game Discussion Thread Part 10: Video Games Fucking Suck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never been a gamer, but the Switch brought me back - first console I've owned since the N64, which in my opinion cannot be beaten. (We had a Wii too but that system was shithouse.) I adore the Switch so far. I can't believe it works so well (gameplay actually looks better on TV than it does handheld) and I can't believe it hasn't happened before.

Now when I say I've never been a gamer I am a Pokemon fanatic.

Breath of the Wild, however, might be even better. It might be the best thing I have ever played. It's so beautiful, sounds are amazing and the open-world format gives you so much freedom and triple it's enjoyability. Only a short way into the game, but I love it dearly.

Are Xenoblade Chronicles and Final Fantasy the same thing?

So in love with the Switch. Got Mario Rabbids, which has surprised me with how enjoyable and good it is. SUPER excited that Worms is coming to the Switch, and waiting impatiently for Mario Odyssey.

2018 is gonna be huge with Metroid, Kirby, Yoshi, Pokemon all already announced...

Are Xenoblade Chronicles and Final Fantasy the same thing?

So in love with the Switch. Got Mario Rabbids, which has surprised me with how enjoyable and good it is. SUPER excited that Worms is coming to the Switch, and waiting impatiently for Mario Odyssey.

2018 is gonna be huge with Metroid, Kirby, Yoshi, Pokemon all already announced...
No, they have no connection. Both series are great btw!

Late to the party, but hot damn! Skyrim is great!

Glad you are enjoying it, Skyrim is a great open world game that rewards exploration.

Try Witcher 3 next, a story driven open world game. Two great games that handle open world differently.

Glad you are enjoying it, Skyrim is a great open world game that rewards exploration.

Try Witcher 3 next, a story driven open world game. Two great games that handle open world differently.

I have heard that about Witcher 3. I am kinda bummed there's no 1st person ability. The thing that hooked me with (Fallout 4 and then) Skyrim was being able to play it 1st person.

I've put 4-5 hours in. After 3 brutal weeks of Cuphead, it's so refreshing that I can pick a game up and actually accomplish things.

I am very enamoured with it. I don't think it can top Breath of the Wild, albeit it's quite a different game. (The open-world aspect of Odyssey was really oversold, I think.) But it's terrific. I was skeptical about the hat gimmick heading into the game but it's so great, very seamless and feels totally natural.

I never played Sunshine or Galaxy, so can't compare it with those games, but spent a huge amount of time with Super Mario 64 and I just love how much it feels like that. The levels/worlds/kingdoms feel a little more constrained, but it's not a huge deal because there's so many Power Moons to find (800 I've heard) as opposed to the 120 stars of SM64. But it has a similar feel, and you are free to wander around and explore and play with things, which is half the delight of SM64.

BIG shoutout to the music, it is fucking fantastic. Get a load of this shit, in Lost Kingdom, it's like East Asian lite-house, it's stunningly good:

i'm finally upgrading to the latest generation in two weeks when my friend sells me his xbox one. what should i go buy immediately?

Based on everything I've played and have read (and I did endure a holiday season of selling games at Best Buy, so you can consider my opinion semi-pro):

Exclusives:

Cuphead
Ori and the Blind Forest
Halo 5
Gears 4
Forza Horizon 3
Sunset Overdrive
Rare Replay
Rise of the Tomb Raider

Top AAAs this gen:

Overwatch
GTA 5
Diablo 3
Rocket League
Dark Souls 2
The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
Metal Gear Solid 5
The Witcher 3
Fallout 4
Arkham Knight
INSIDE
Stardew Valley
Battlefield 1
What Remains of Edith Finch
Wolfenstein 2
Destiny 2

Obviously don't buy all of those right now, maybe three from each section. I'm not 100% sure what your taste is, so proceed based on your interests. Personally, I'm more into indies, so Rocket League and Cuphead captured my imagination most out of what I've played.

awesome, that looks like a pretty solid list. definitely going to be checking out cuphead and the new wolfenstein, and the new star wars battlefront game that's coming out looks pretty interesting too. the game i'm most excited for though is still red dead redemption 2, can't wait for that.

the guy who's selling it to me is throwing in FIFA 17 and i'll probably pad that out with a few sports games right away (probably Madden and NBA or NHL) but I'm definitely going to consult this list when it comes time to pick up something new, super useful. thanks :up:

after reading about the mechanics of star wars battlefront - fuck that. i completely forgot the new call of duty coming out this week. i'll pick that up instead.

So is anyone getting into all that VR business? I barely have time to play with my Xbox One, so there's no way I'm getting any other systems. Skyrim on VR looks pretty cool from what I've seen online.

I'm planning to spend some quality time playing Skyrim over Thanksgiving break. My Xbox 360 had the Red Ring of Death, so I had to start a new Skyrim game last Christmas when I got my Xbox One and feel like I've barely used it since then.

Have scored an insane deal on a Switch plus some games, so that's Xmas sorted. What e-store games would you guys recommend? Already keen on Sonic Mania and Shovel Knight.

I love worms, didn't realise it was on it.

Manager at my local is doing me $479 for Switch + Zelda + Odyssey. Scored $310 in vouchers upping my wife's phone contract (plus a Pixel 2) and my in laws can claim tax back when they fly out in two weeks. Total out of pocket = $130.

Omg fuck off. That's so good. Breath of the Wild is by a million miles the best video game I've ever played and Odyssey is terrific too (and has a huge post-game). And yeah, Worms just came out a week or so ago :)

All thanks to OzBargains, I check that site way too often these days.

Cannot wait to get started on Zelda, my brother said he clocked up 100 hours on the Wii U to get every last shrine and loved every minute of it.

Will defo be getting Worms. Scoped it out online and it looks pleasantly old skool. It looks like people our age who grew up with those games have become developers and bringing them back for sweet, sweet nostalgia.

Woah woah woah, care to explain how this site works? Do you just search for the thing you're looking for a deal on and read through? How did I not know this existed, haha.

Yeah I've played over 100 hours and I'm still not finished. I don't want to. Every time I achieve a big goal I then spend hours and hours just wandering around, finding shrines and so on haha.

I suspect we both grew up playing the same version of Worms :) which is yeah why I'm so happy with the one on Switch. Has it all.

It's an open site where people post retail deals, whether it's scanned Woolies catalogues or flash sales. And yeah, just search for what you want or scroll through the most recent deals. Here's the phone plan my wife got:

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/349016

$59/m with a choice of phone and $100 gift card. But as we were with Optus, we first signed her up to a SIM only $49/m plan with a $200 gift card, then waited a day before upping it to the handset plan. Feels like a rort but it worked lol.

Back
Top Bottom