Video Game Discussion Thread Part 10: Video Games Fucking Suck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yep, did pretty much everything i could without the command prompt or access to the control panel. seems like this was the only option, being unable to access the option to revert to an old windows build.

oh well, i didn't really lose anything all that important, and i had lots of old crap clogging up my hard drive that i never used anymore anyways (like the dozens of gb worth of mp3's i used to listen to in itunes before i switched to streaming) and various old games that i probably forgot i even had installed.

Whatcha talking about? I said over a week or two ago I was able to land on the Mun. Initially I was struggling (then I unlocked actual proper RCS thrusters). I just kept killing the pilots on reentry, typically from fuel exhaustion. So I devised a little plan because I knew I had a good design I was just tech limited. Basically put my return ship into a slowly decaying orbit to reduce its angular momentum and let it cycle 10-15 times until it was coming in at a decent velocity where reentry wouldn't blow it up.

oh, right. i forgot about that. even still, damn that's a pretty quick leap from your first landing to a base. :up:

and good lord you must be coming in fast - i've only once lost an entire craft on reentry (which was entirely because i forgot the heat shield), although i've had some close calls with most of the equipment attached to the capsule blowing off.

now i usually keep in orbit on re-entry and just put the periapsis between 35,000-50,000m and let it aerobrake the rest of the way, maybe if i have a little fuel left i'll burn it once i get back to the atmosphere to bring down the apoapsis. i'm in no rush.

Yes, what I described there was aerobraking multiple times. And yeah if you come back from the Mun with next to no fuel, you're talking 3000 m/s which equals boom boom boom to everyone on board. Typically I set 40-45,000 m and just pre-deploy the chutes and go start a new mission and pick them up later ?

i decided to take a break from rocketry tonight and instead fight an imperial religious war in the 16th century holy roman empire in EU4.

europa universalis 4. "early-modern global real-time strategy", i guess. either way it's the deepest game i've ever played. it's 1555 and the protestant league, led by england and brandenburg (me), are now fighting the catholics in germany and austria for control over which religion gets to be the emperor. meanwhile i've started a trade war against the teutonic league because they've been pirating my ships in the baltic sea. i have most of their coastline blockaded but their ships are better suited to fighting in inland seas like the baltic than mine are so i might lose the naval war if i take their port cities and force their fleet out to sea. the printing press is starting to spread through my lands pretty fast and as soon as i can buy one for my royal (i'm still just the duke of brandenburg technically, so not entitled to royal title) court and bump up my research and internal stability (yay propaganda). i'm about to capture konigsberg so that i can upgrade my duchy into the kingdom of prussia. all this just happened in the last hour of gameplay.

Last edited:
finally landed on the mun and minmus a few times this weekend. i'm not too sure yet if i'm going to try for duna or if i just can't be bothered with the effort. i've been playing the shit out of civ 6 a lot more lately.

anyone tried the new no man's sky patch yet? i'm frankly shocked that this was released at all, to be honest. i'm torn between still feeling totally burned by hello games and not wanting to ever play it again, and plain curiosity (the patch seems to have added a lot of stuff).

The Last of Us Part 2 announced:

One of my favorite gaming experiences ever. Here's hoping the sequel can live up to it. I have faith in Naughty Dog.

One of my favorite gaming experiences ever. Here's hoping the sequel can live up to it. I have faith in Naughty Dog.

I'm so excited about this. I agree, one of the best games ever. I will never forget that scene with the giraffes.

Anyone playing the Skyrim remaster on the PS4? Im wondering if its worth the upgrade since it appears to be on sale on Canadian Amazon. I have it on PS3 and it was relatively glitch-free but ran pretty slow (especially loading between levels), is there a noticable increase in loading times?

i'm playing it on the pc, but my boyfriend bought it for ps4. so far it just looks nicer, i've been watching him play and i don't notice slower loading times, nor has he said anything about it taking longer.

Anyone playing the Skyrim remaster on the PS4? Im wondering if its worth the upgrade since it appears to be on sale on Canadian Amazon. I have it on PS3 and it was relatively glitch-free but ran pretty slow (especially loading between levels), is there a noticable increase in loading times?

It's freaking awesome, definitely worth the upgrade! Massively improved visuals, draw distance, frame rate, load times, and performance. Loading wise, fast travel is usually 20 seconds. Entering a building in city is usually about 5 seconds. I've been super happy with it.

By the way, every time I see you're playing Fallout on PSN, I nod my head in approval.

I stood in line for the Switch and don't regret a damn thing. The thing is riddled with flaws (storage limitations, positioning of the charge port, tons of complaints about joy-con sync that haven't impacted me significantly), but it is a really cool piece of tech and Breath of the Wild is amazing. Super Bomberman R is a fun game to play with friends too, it gets pretty manic when there's a lot going on.

i'll never buy one myself, since i'm 90% a PC gamer; my next console purchase will be a cheap refurbished ps4 to upgrade my ancient ps3 sometime in the next year. i'll play sports games on it (damn i miss having current rosters) and use it for watching netflix and youtube, and also red dead redemption 2 if it doesn't have a desktop version. nintendo-system games in general just haven't really been my thing since the gamecube. i'm just really curious to try it, i've read some mixed reviews but they all say it has really interesting potential.

Once they get a cloud for saved data and prove that their paid online is worthwhile, I don't think any of the minor flaws it has will hold it back. Obviously it comes down to the games, but the Switch actually offers something very unique and appealing with its third party ports: the ability to play next gen games wherever you go in 720p. That's pretty damn cool. I hope the system has a long lifespan and lives up to its potential.

admittedly i've been playing no man's sky again for the last few days. since launch it's gotten much better, both in terms of things to do, the atmosphere is much more alive, there are a lot more aliens and ships and activity in general in space, and also the changes to the UI and controls have made it a more fun experience so far. yea there's a lot of annoying things still in the game (having to hold the button down for some clicks and not others is still really aggravating at times) but a lot of the most infuriating things like your spacesuit yelling at you to recharge when it gets to 75% health have been taken out.

also what's helped is that i've approached the game this time as more of a "wild west" space environment, like you're a pioneer who has to figure out how to make a living in this sparsely-populated frontier, rather than as a discoverer of new worlds. i think that was a major flaw in the way the game was marketed, where people were expecting to be a 21st century magellan, discovering and naming everything they saw, and then were understandably frustrated to find that the galaxy was already populated. but that makes sense if you think of it as analogous to someone arriving in arizona in, say 1870 looking to make a fortune mining/homesteading/crafting etc.

i think i'm coming around to the viewpoint that no man's sky is not a fundamentally bad game, but it was horrendously marketed and rushed out unfinished. the PR handling of this game both pre and post release was a fucking nightmare, but after being patched a couple times i've actually been enjoying being a sort of wandering frontier miner and trader now that i'm playing the game with that perspective.

Last edited:
i played it one more time since i made that post. it's definitely better than it was at launch but it's still highly repetitive and grindy if you really want to get anywhere. not really enough to keep my interest.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom