Video Game Discussion Thread Part 10: Video Games Fucking Suck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is so cool:

I've always loved the Uncharted series, not only for the gameplay but for the stories and how smart and realistic the character interactions are. This is a great example of that.

Psyched to play it, Uncharted has definitely been one of the best series of the last decade. Really excited to play Doom as well. Not going to start either until I'm done with Quantum Break though (which is also awesome). I just don't have the time for all the games I want to play any more, I'm so slow at getting through games I care about.

The open-world Madagascar section of Uncharted 4 is jaw-dropping. I can see why they showed it ahead of release it to get people excited.

Between Far Harbor and Uncharted 4, I will be busy in coming weeks.

I started playing Heroes of the Storm...it's fun. Too much fun. Also started playing Hearthstone again and finally downloaded Knights of the Old Republic from steam. I haven't had video game playing time in so long. This is nice.

Just started with Uncharted 4. It looks so pretty, and the character interactions remain top notch. I really hope this is not the last game in the series. One of my favorite franchises for sure.

I think 4 is the second best of the series (behind 2). It strikes such a wonderful balance between platforming, puzzle-solving, exploration and combat, whereas 3 was way overbalanced in favor of combat. It felt like everything you did was another excuse to shoot something.

I think 4 is the second best of the series (behind 2). It strikes such a wonderful balance between platforming, puzzle-solving, exploration and combat, whereas 3 was way overbalanced in favor of combat. It felt like everything you did was another excuse to shoot something.

I don't recall all details from 2 and 3 anymore, but I agree that 4 is very well balanced. It also gives you more opportunities for stealth mode, which I like a lot.

It was both - there were more enemies in general. I distinctly remember certain chapters in the desert where enemies seemed to be regenerating because it didn't seem to matter how many of them I killed. That one shootout before you sneak onto the plane took me a fucking eternity.

Hearts of Iron 4 is phenomenal, you guys.

i am also very sad that i'm not playing No Man's Sky today, cause it got delayed until August because Sky TV for some reason has trademarked the word "sky", tried to sue the developer, and lost.

Last edited:
10 days or so, guys. Each new trailer makes me more excited.

I may have to wait until after the Olympics, otherwise I may not get any sleep.

the preorder comes with an instant upgrade for your spaceship, and word is it'll make a big difference. i can't decide if i want it. i feel like the game will be more rewarding with somewhat of a struggle (a la KSP) but damn i want to go interstellar exploring asap too.:|

so some dude paid $2k on ebay for a leaked copy, and it's legit - he posted 26 min basically starting after he first booted the game up and got onto his first planet of him just exploring right around his starting location.

the trailers do not do this game justice. i won't say specifics or link it cause it's full of spoilers and it's easy enough to find, but wow the excitement went into a whole other level and i pre-ordered on the spot. it looks as great as i thought it would. one more week...

it came out today for console...and for some reason i have to wait until friday to play it on pc :|

hope you're having fun, gump.

it came out today for console...and for some reason i have to wait until friday to play it on pc :|

hope you're having fun, gump.

My copy is coming tomorrow. I've tried to stay away from the news/reviews, but damn, I couldn't be more excited.

I've got a hyperdrive and am about to start blasting through space.

Ran into some deposits of rare minerals and am now a very rich man.

I haven't even left my first planet yet and hot damn, this thing is gorgeous.

A lot of people haaaaaaate No Man's Sky and the critic reviews have been mixed.

Personally, I'm still enjoying it about 12 hours in but understand the complaints fully. Combat fucking sucks (I avoid it whenever possible) and if you visit, say, 20 planets, you're going to see a couple that are very similar to one another. So far I've been to maybe 8 planets over three solar systems and haven't run into any glaring duplicates. In fact, I've found a couple of major oddities; the last planet I visited was mostly gold and I used it to buy a new spacecraft. That being said, the layout of each planet is more or less the same, with item placement, weather, and flora and fauna amounts being the only major differences in most cases.

A few things that I would like to see from future updates:

-Base building (on the way)
-Bigger ships that can hold fleets (also on the way)
-Confirmation that you can run into other players
-The ability to tame animals and use them for battle/transportation
-Less pop-in
-A slightly greater sense of danger overall, but not too much

It's a solid game, but definitely not for everyone and I think there's a lot of room for improvement in future patches. I could see myself putting 25-30 hours into it and then taking a break until the next major patch.

I read about it and was pretty amazed, these planets all being different and stuff.
this reminds me way too much of when conan reviews video games.

i barely play pokemon and had been playing skyrim (it's old, i know but i only started a couple months ago and really got into it over the summer) but it seems like i beat the game, as all i have left are a couple miscellaneous quests and radiant quests based on my factions. bummer.

A lot of people haaaaaaate No Man's Sky and the critic reviews have been mixed.

Personally, I'm still enjoying it about 12 hours in but understand the complaints fully. Combat fucking sucks (I avoid it whenever possible) and if you visit, say, 20 planets, you're going to see a couple that are very similar to one another. So far I've been to maybe 8 planets over three solar systems and haven't run into any glaring duplicates. In fact, I've found a couple of major oddities; the last planet I visited was mostly gold and I used it to buy a new spacecraft. That being said, the layout of each planet is more or less the same, with item placement, weather, and flora and fauna amounts being the only major differences in most cases.

A few things that I would like to see from future updates:

-Base building (on the way)
-Bigger ships that can hold fleets (also on the way)
-Confirmation that you can run into other players
-The ability to tame animals and use them for battle/transportation
-Less pop-in
-A slightly greater sense of danger overall, but not too much

It's a solid game, but definitely not for everyone and I think there's a lot of room for improvement in future patches. I could see myself putting 25-30 hours into it and then taking a break until the next major patch.

i don't get it. i've got a ton of shit done so far in my first day (8 hrs according to steam, i have no life lol) and although i tried to keep my expectations low (with not much success), i certainly didn't fully board the hype train like some did. i think the people who thought this was going to let you be han solo across 18 quintillion planets with no issues or omissions are the ones complaining loudest now. it's the spore effect, even though this game is objectively orders of magnitude better than spore.

i've been to about a half dozen planets so far and they've all been really different. i tried taking some screenshots but for whatever reason windows screenshotted my desktop instead of the game window, but my first planet was a deep red rocky planet with a very cold atmosphere and lots of plant life. the second one i visited was, gray, totally barren of life and had an extremely toxic atmosphere, but it also had giant mountains of gold, iridium, and a few other rare elements. i became rather rich when i traded those items so i got myself a better ship and went exploring. my next planet had HUGE oceans of perfectly still bright red methane that looks like kool-aid, with large green continents that had enormous amounts of plant life, every inch of ground was covered in flowers and grasses and bushes and tress in every possible colour, and under water were huge cave systems full of yellow iron stalactites, red plutonium stalagmites, giant green crystal formations of emeril, and these things went on forever. i would have stayed on this planet for weeks if my ship had enough inventory space to keep gathering resources. i've seen floating continents, rivers, huge long snakelike strands of rock covered in minerals reaching to the sky, every planet has had totally different plants and animals...i mean i've only had one day with it but if people are complaining about this kind of diversity, especially considering the insane amount of room to expand the devs have in this universe, i dunno what they were expecting. sure, the space stations are the same, and the outposts all have similar layouts i guess...

if i could find one thing to complain about so far, it's the lack of a planetary map or waypoint system. i'd like to be able to mark outposts i've visited, landing sites, or particularly rich mineral deposits i'd like to come back to later. and i understand people have had issues with the pc version as well. the only issue i had was when i first started it up, and tried to max out the graphics, it ran like a piece of shit. i don't have a particularly beefy pc, so i turned the settings down and it now runs perfectly for me at completely acceptable graphics levels. base building of some kind would be fun too, and would give much more of an incentive for me to stick around on a given planet (combined with the mapping feature). i haven't done much combat yet other than blasting a few sentinel drones when they take offense at me removing entire solid gold mountains from the landscape, but other than that i have been avoiding it in general. i'm not used to the flying controls yet so i would probably get smoked in a hurry out in open space.

anyways, i'm having so much fun with this game so far. kinda considering eating some LSD and playing this in the dark on the big screen TV in the next couple days and making my brain explode. :drool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom