Video Game Discussion Thread Part 10: Video Games Fucking Suck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PS4 people, EA is giving Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare is free to download this weekend for PlayStation's 20th anniversary. It's normally a $40 game, get it while you can.

They're giving Mirror's Edge on PS3 too.

1st day playing Forza Horizon 2:

Having a blast when I switch the in-game radio station and Debaser is playiing. The track that followed it was Redeyes by War on Drugs. Um, yeah, this game kicks ass.

How's the replay value on Forza 2. Do you still play it a lot?

Anyone else ever tried Kerbal Space Program here?

I'm going to assume that's probably a "no".

That's a shame, you're missing out if you're at all interested in space/rocketry/exploration. You basically take a space program and start with wee little rockets that can't take you to orbit, and eventually can get to orbit, land on the moons (in the game, Kerbin - which is the equivalent to Earth - has two moons), launch satellites, scientific probes, and space stations, and eventually send missions to and build bases on the other planets in the solar system. It's all very realistic in terms of the physics and controls of things like orbits and landings/launches.

This weekend I finally made my first Moon landings and got a satellite in polar orbit around the Moon. Next I'm going to try building a space station and putting it in orbit so I can have a base from which to launch missions to the other planets and run scientific experiments to unlock more powerful technologies.

It's in "early access" mode on Steam for $32.99, and worth every penny. Also, it's got a huge community and is being constantly updated by the developers. There are lots of mods that do anything from providing more technical information, to providing auto-pilot, to adding extra planets, comets and asteroids (which you can land on and grab and carry around the solar system) in the game.

VERY highly recommended. It's hard to learn at first but the satisfaction I felt when Jebediah planted my first flag on the Moon is a feeling of accomplishment that a video game has not given me in quite a long time.

I started Uncharted 1 back in 2012, got to the part with the jet skis and stopped. Picked up with 2, adored it and then played 3, which was extremely good but had too much gunplay and not enough platforming for my tastes. But still, terrific graphics and a great story. Generally very fun to play as well.

So I went back a week ago and started Uncharted 1 again so I could get the full story. It's easily my least favorite of the trilogy, too many control hiccups and bafflingly difficult sections, but it's mostly really good.

Drake's Fortune: 7.6
Among Thieves: 9.1
Drake's Deception: 8.4

Can't wait for A Thief's End. The gameplay footage we have is stellar.

How's the replay value on Forza 2. Do you still play it a lot?

If you like racers / car games at all, it's fantastic. It has an open world, so you can just drive around and take pictures of your car in awesome locations for hours. Also, once you "finish" the main story, the evens keep going on and on. You can seriously play for hundreds of hours after you finish the "main" part, and still earn trophies and such. Easily my favorite arcadey racing game in years.

xdpWk3O.png

It took me far longer than expected, but I beat Okami last night.

I'm really sad that game never got a sequel. It's probably the prettiest game ever made, but there were mechanical issues that could've done with some fine-tuning, and for the surprisingly long length, the upgrade system and missing rewards were VERY boring.

Also super disappointed that it's not the type of game you can return to to 100%. But, I do have a save file that would let me do that if I feel like it, so maybe I'll get around to it.

Holy fuck.

Silent Hill always freaked me out just a little too much. I don't think I'll be watching those videos based on the still of the first one alone :uhoh:

Kerbal Space Program 1.0 released this week (it was Early Access Beta on Steam up till now). It has received a 96% review from PC Gamer, one of the highest ever scores. For comparison, here are some other similarly high scores:

- Civilization II: 96%
- Quake II: 96%
- Half-Life: 96%
- Half-Life 2: 98%
- Minecraft: 96%
- Spelunky: 96%
- Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri: 98%
- Crysis: 98%

And that's it in the 20ish years PC Gamer has been reviewing video games.

Seriously, guys. This game is that good. It's up there for me with TIE Fighter and Civ 2. You really, really should get it if you haven't tried it yet. Be warned that the learning curve is steep at first. But my first orbit, my first successful docking, my first Mun landing, and the first time I went to interplanetary space are all some of the most rewarding feelings in video games I've had in decades.

Buy it - it's worth every penny. I would pay double what I paid for it ($35 in early access) and still feel like I got more than my money's worth. It's the best money I've spent on entertainment - all entertainment - in years.

I fucking love this game.

Has anyone played Witcher 3 yet? Just ordered it, should have it by the weekend. Looks great, and the reviews have had nothing but praise.

I JUST mentioned to Impy today how I had not played anything in months, but had ordered Witcher 3 and was looking forward to starting it soon.

I kept waiting for you to challenge me at Fifa.

The only thing I played recently was Dragon Age Inquisitions. It's generally nice, it looks very pretty, but I don't like the combat system in this game. I guess it's adequate as an in-between-Elder-Scrolls-games replacement. But Witcher 3 should be the real deal. I never played the first two installements, though, but I think the story should be easy to get.

I kept waiting for you to challenge me at Fifa.

The only thing I played recently was Dragon Age Inquisitions. It's generally nice, it looks very pretty, but I don't like the combat system in this game. I guess it's adequate as an in-between-Elder-Scrolls-games replacement. But Witcher 3 should be the real deal. I never played the first two installements, though, but I think the story should be easy to get.

I was super psyched to play Dragon Age, on the heels of just finishing Far Cry 4….but I just didn't like it very much, could not get into it. Plan to try again eventually, though.

I suck so bad at FIFA.

I forget, sorry, are you on PS4 or Xbox One? I have both but have never played a multiplayer game on PS4, and only once on PS3, and that experience was odd. Impy, Mofo and I, along with various friends from our non computer screen lives have played lots of shit together on the Xbox, or at least on the 360.

I was super psyched to play Dragon Age, on the heels of just finishing Far Cry 4….but I just didn't like it very much, could not get into it. Plan to try again eventually, though.

I suck so bad at FIFA.

I forget, sorry, are you on PS4 or Xbox One? I have both but have never played a multiplayer game on PS4, and only once on PS3, and that experience was odd. Impy, Mofo and I, along with various friends from our non computer screen lives have played lots of shit together on the Xbox, or at least on the 360.

I thought I was ok at Fifa, but then I started to play Fifa Ultimate Team and couldn't stop losing to 15-year-old kids (and the game dynamics change a bit), so I went back to playing single mode.

I'm in the PS4 minority (marechal81 is my username there). I think Fifa is the only game I played online regularly. I generally enjoy open-world games, and those tend to be less multiplayer-friendly, I guess.

I have been playing nothing but single player games lately, too. But in the past, with something like Gears of War, it was multi player city. I'll add you on PSN soon….

I managed to play a few hours of Witcher 3 between yesterday and today, and I'm really impressed. The hype seems justified. It has probably the most detailed world/scenarios of any RPG/open-world games I've seen recently. Just gorgeous. And it's gigantic, I haven't even left the place where I started. The background of the story is a bit difficult to understand at first, without having played the previous games, but you quickly get up to speed.

There's a lot of horse riding on this game too, which reminded me of Red Dead Redemption. So, a cross of Rockstar games with a Skyrim world, in the best possible way. Get it, people, you won't regret.

Witcher 3 continues to be amazing, but all I do is play gwent. It's seriously addictive. Reminds me of Magic The Gathering days.

Back
Top Bottom