Video Game Discussion Thread Part 10: Video Games Fucking Suck - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Restart and Reboot Yourself

Old 01-02-2016, 08:36 PM   #241
Blue Crack Addict

Location: deep in absolutely bullshit historical theory/trauma theory
Local Time: 05:51 PM
Cheap plug. I wrote something about the Dark Souls series and how it's been intensely transformative to me as a video game player. Those games are real fucking great.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:39 PM   #242
A childless dog

Local Time: 11:51 PM
I just hopped on with Bloodborne, I need to go back and check out the others.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:45 PM   #243
Blue Crack Addict

I don't have a PS3 or a PS4 so Demon Souls and Bloodborne are currently unaccessible to me, but yo, Souls games are real great, so I'd be surprised if Bloodborne wasn't at least really good.

Fallout 4 has been real underwhelming so far. Something about the writing in that game just isn't doing it for me.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:50 PM   #244
A childless dog

The dialogue is terrible, but the world, gameplay, perk system, all of it appeals to me.

Bloodborne is my GOTY though.

Now.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:01 PM   #245
Blue Crack Addict

Spoilers are for halfway through the main questline, if you've not completely left the Wasteland for a brief moment this will spoil some of the main questline.

I think

The Glowing Sea, and especially the way in which it literally goes off the map, breaking from the constraints of cartography that are set up by previous Fallout games
is one of the coolest settings in a Fallout game ever, and

the exploration of Kellogg's brain is pretty cool in terms of narrative and design, but not mindblowing, no pun intended
but basically nothing else is doing it for me in terms of the world environment. Diamond City feels like a bigger, but worse version of Megaton in terms of design, very few of the Raider dungeons are doing anything for me. I really enjoy travelling around with Nick Valentine, and think he's a great new character that introduces some really interesting narrative implications, but none of the other characters do anything for me. The gameplay is fine and the perks are fine, but they're not incredible. I'm liking the process of building up settlements, hating having to continually go back and defend them against marauders.

It's just not doing it for me.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:38 AM   #246
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:51 AM
For me its the exploration of the world that keeps me going - Fallout has never had the greatest main story and the dialogue is not something that I've ever been impressed with.

I am finding the micro-management of my settlements to be the most tiring so far - how many times do these people allow themselves to be kidnapped? And how menacing are those 4 feral ghouls or 6 Raiders in a random location (usually nowhere near the settlement) when I have them entrenched with heavy machinegun and missile turrets? Every time I go to the Castle or go near Preston I leave with at least two more annoying quests.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:34 AM   #247
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Yeah, I've given up on going to Preston because of the randomly generated quests. I feel I've done all of them.

Right now, I'm basically doing all the side quests while I decide whether to follow the Railroad/Institute/Brotherhood of Steel quests. I think Fallout 4 is better than 3 or New Vegas at presenting a more compelling/difficult choice of which factions to join. Agreed that the dialogue is generally below par (especially how some of the dialogue options lead to conversations that you did not want to have), and generally the charisma-based dialogue options are pretty useless. What I do love about this game is the color palette - it's so much more interesting than any previous Fallout game, and for the first time gives the sense of a real world. I'm slightly underwhelmed at the map: even though I think it's bigger than Skyrim's, it didn't give me the sense of huge horizons as Skyrim certainly did, and other than downtown Boston it feels pretty sparse. But I'm having a blast - and I'm sad that it feels closer to the end of the main quest.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:04 PM   #248
Blue Crack Supplier

The Internet Loves Making Fun of Fallout 4's Preston Garvey
Old 01-08-2016, 03:19 PM   #249
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:51 AM
Radiant quests are infuriating.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:26 PM   #250
Blue Crack Addict

Can anyone explain to me the actual benefit of building up a settlement? I get the mechanics of it, but every settlement I've added to has just meant...more people hanging around. I don't see the benefit to me as a player.

Mind you, I haven't done TOO much beyond providing the basics but am I gonna get something out of it if I put my resources into this?
Old 01-11-2016, 11:21 PM   #251
A childless dog

So what's the point of settlement building? - Fallout 4 Message Board for PC - GameFAQs

You're nowhere near far enough into it to really get full benefits out of it. But if you do, you can have a consistent stream of revenue and and resources when you need it.

Now.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:13 AM   #252
Blue Crack Addict

Ah, that makes sense. Didn't want to put hours and resources (I've been modding guns like crazy) into something that would just get me nothing but Preston Garvey missions
Old 01-12-2016, 08:12 AM   #253
Blue Crack Supplier

no word of a lie, the bastard is giving me three missions at a time every time I walk by him
Old 01-12-2016, 01:58 PM   #254
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 01:51 AM
yeah, it's frustrating. granted, i'm always trying to get xp to level up asap so i kinda don't mind getting quests, but i also get ticked when they occasionally fail (not the ones that will pop up unprompted to help defend an already established settlement, but the ones preston gives). dude, i can't just run around the whole commonwealth doing your errands. nothing's preventing him from getting off his ass. he hasn't even said thank you for

getting mama murphy off chems

"Because a senator - a politician - a person - who can let hang in mid-air the prospect that she might just be sticking around in part, just in case the other guy gets shot - has no business being, and no capacity to be, the President of the United States." -- Keith Olbermann
KhanadaRhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:47 PM   #255
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:51 AM
I do hate that the most, as well. When they fail, it's like... who the hell wrote this part of the game?