using laptop on eropean converter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ABEL

An Angel In Devil's Shoes
well i've arrived in the netherlands yesterday.
i haven't used my laptop since i got here though.
i've been wondering if it's safe and ok for the laptop if i use it with the eropean converter as long as i have it on the right setting?
i know eventually i should buy a eropean plug for it but i can't really afford that right now.
anyone else used a US laptop overseas with a converter when they've travelled?

Your power adapter should say on it what it can handle. I don't think they need a converter, just the right attachment if the outlet is different. Mine says 100-240V input so I assume that means I can connect it to any power outlet within that range.

my converter is either for 50W or 1600W. how many watts is a typical acer laptop?

What does the power pack for your laptop say? Not a converter, but the normal power cord. It should say it on there somewhere as "input" and will have the range of inputs it can handle and convert. If it's a newer laptop I don't think you need a converter.

on the power cord itself it says:

Input: 100-240V ~ 1.5A (1.5A) 50-60Hz
Output: 19V 3.42A(3.42A)

my laptop is about a year and a half old.
i do need a converter cuz the plug won't fit in the eropean outlets.
i'm just not sure how to figure out what wattage it is?

ok well tech support at microcenter says i just need the adapter not converter.
so i guess i'll go try it out.

*praysthelaptopdoesntfry*

well yea, seeing as your laptop can use the voltage here you should be fine with just an adapter...

:shifty: so how's the language going?

ABEL said:

Input: 100-240V

That indicates that it can work on the Dutch/European power grid (which is 230V). Yes, you need an adapter for the power plug so it fits in the Dutch socket, but that's it.

:wave:

ABEL said:

Input: 100-240V ~ 1.5A (1.5A) 50-60Hz
Output: 19V 3.42A(3.42A)

my laptop is about a year and a half old.
i do need a converter cuz the plug won't fit in the eropean outlets.
i'm just not sure how to figure out what wattage it is?

Don't worry about the wattage. The computer's power pack itself converts the output. It can handle ANY input 100-240V and output the proper amount (19V) for your computer, so you're fine. All you need is a plug adapter so it fits into the outlet. Laptop power adapters do all the converting on their own.

I've always just used an adapter for my power cord to use my laptop in Europe. You shouldn't have a problem and they're very inexpensive.

well, between now and my last reply i talked to online tech support from microcenter in dallas where i bought the laptop.
they confirmed i just needed the adapter not the converter.
i tried plugging mine in but my electric cord was three prong not two prong.
so we just went to the electronics store and purchased a 10 eruo power cord.
the laptop is back in business :hyper: :applaud:
and rono has his computer back. :flirt: :up:

For people's reference, too, I checked into car electrical systems before I traveled, and I believe most cars in the world run a 12V DC system. So, whatever you plug into your car here, you can plug into a car overseas.

Just another option to try to cut down on travel accessory BS.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom