upscanning dvd player

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

randhail

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Just bought a fancy new lcd tv (40inch bravia with 1080p yada yada yada). After doing some reading, it sounds like hooking up a regular dvd player to it results in a poorer quality picture. Does anyone know if this is true or not?

I've also read that people recommend buying an upscanning dvd player that would maximize the picture quality coming from the standard dvds. Right now, I have absolutely no desire to buy a blu ray player because I just don't see myself buying a lot of blu ray discs - my dvd buying binges are done and over with. I'm very tempted to get the upscanning player, I think it plays back at 480p or i, I'm not super familar with all the terms used. Plus in various review sites, they've gotten pretty good feedback. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

It is true.

Upscaling dvd players are now very affordable, so you will have a huge selection to choose from. What's your price range?

Nice choice on the TV btw.

well, ideally you want 1080p since that is the best possible picture you can get right now but then you would need Blu-Ray to do that...

In terms of DVDs, yes you will need an upscaling player for sure and make sure you get the best connectors you can get, preferably HDMI if the DVD player supports it or if not S-Video or Digital Video at the least, the better connectors the better picture. It didn't used to be an issue with old TVs but now it can make a world of difference!

You may want to consider getting a Blu-Ray player anyhow because it will play regular DVDs (and upscales them automatically) and it will future proof you for the foreseeable end to DVDs...

...also, if you are thinking about buying a PS3....wait, there is something coming out before the summer is over.

Ideally, I would like to spend no more than $100. The tv was already somewhat of splurge so I don't think I can afford to spend another $400 on a blu ray.

There's one particular model that I'm leaning towards going with: Sony DVP-NS77H/B 1080p. It's got solid reviews and is a decent price.

I've bought the HDMI cables too. Those things are such a rip off buying them from one of the box stores. Thank you Amazon!

The Blu-ray players definitely upscale, but if going that route isn't your thing, then yes, just get a basic DVD model. The Sony model works.

The PS3 just got the firmware update for the latest Blu-ray version (BD Live).

My mother just got a 32" Sharp Aquos, it's only a 720. Yesterday we picked out a Sony upscaling DVD player that works with 720 and 1080 from Costco for 75 dollars, HDMI cable included. It's probably worth getting a Costco membership for a deal like that. I have to hook it up for her, I hope it's not too complicated. I would have to check, don't know if it's that same model.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I have to hook it up for her, I hope it's not too complicated. I would have to check, don't know if it's that same model.

It should be fairly simple, HDMI cable connects the two and you just need to set the out-put on the DVD player to 720 p which should be in the display settings somewhere...

randhail said:

There's one particular model that I'm leaning towards going with: Sony DVP-NS77H/B 1080p. It's got solid reviews and is a decent price.

That's the same one we picked up at Costco. I hooked it up yesterday, I actually did it :wink:. I would imagine that 1080 looks even better than 720, but as far as I can tell it's a lovely picture. Comparing it to the sports and other shows I have watched on her tv it's not comparable but I wouldn't expect it would be. I haven't watched any On Demand HD movies on it so I can't compare those. We watched a movie that was put out on dvd in 2000 and I thought it looked very good.

I would imagine it varies from dvd to dvd, I put in several to check that out. She has an Ireland travel video that was put out at the end of last year and that looked gorgeous, when they held up a shamrock you could see all the veins in it and the color was beautiful. I put in my Elevation Boston dvd and that looked good too, and sounded good. I think I have all the settings the way I want them but since I am lacking in all of that techno lingo it might be still tweakable and wrong. At first the custom settings took some getting used to, doing it with the remote, but you quickly get the hang of it and it gets easier as you go along.

Back
Top Bottom