ups help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KhanadaRhodes

Paper Gods
Staff member
ugh, i haaaate making threads, but i'm at a loss. i have an apc back-ups es 350. even though it's a ups, i just use it for surge protection. i only have stuff plugged into the surge only side, nothing at all is plugged into the back-up plugs.

about 30 minutes ago, it started making this really loud, high-pitched noise. i shut down my computer, unplugged everything, and unplugged the ups. it made a slightly less loud sound until about a few minutes ago, when it finally shut up.

if i had anything plugged into the ups side i could see that maybe it was the battery, but like i said, i don't. if the power goes out, my computer turns off. the led light has just been a steady green as always, it's not flashing green or solid red, the latter of which of course says the battery's low. i pressed the button to use when the breaker is overloaded just in case, it made no change. basically my point is aside from the noise, it's giving no indication like the battery is dying. even now though, as soon as i plug it in, even with nothing else plugged in it, the noise comes back.

is it like i'm worried about, that the thing's out of battery juice and even though i'm not using it as a ups, it won't shut up until i replace the battery? or is it the thing's way of telling me the whole thing is toast? it didn't start making this noise until my kitten sat on the dumb thing (i didn't know she was there until i looked down at the noise). i tried looking this up on google but everything i came across either had the person plugging stuff into the battery side, or if it was like me where they don't, they never came back to report if it got fixed/what fixed it.

Disconnect everything let it sit for 10 minutes, hit the reset button and then start plugging things back in 1 by 1.

You may find one of your devices is causing the problem.

Sorry if you've already figured this out but nobody has responded to you so I thought I would.

thanks for the suggestion. i let it sit unplugged with nothing connected to it, plugged it back in (over a day after unplugging everything), before i could even start plugging stuff back in, it started beeping again.

Back
Top Bottom