Turntables/Stereo/Audiophile Questions and Discussion - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Restart and Reboot Yourself
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2014, 09:37 AM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:51 PM
According to their website it has a built in pre-amp so you won't need one of those.

The Cartridge is the needle assembly - I'm assuming the instruction manual should tell you what kind it is so you could look into replacing it down the road. Apparently it is one of the easiest ways to get a noticeable upgrade in sound for a turntable.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:43 AM   #17
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 06:51 PM
dude

i just looked it up (Numark TTUSB wattage and voltage specs?) and yeah you'll need a step-down transformer. iirc the ones i'd had to buy fit us plugs so i didn't have to buy two things. i found them at dick smith i think.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:02 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
i believe he posted on fb that he got one of these: http://iamthejeff.com/img/posts/turntable_cat.jpg
I used to have a similar one as a kid. My brother "brought it" for me when he was born (I know). I used to have a bunch of 45 RPM storytelling records.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I have no fucking idea.
Do not plug it in until you have the transformer. You could burn your record player depending on the voltage.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:02 AM   #19
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:51 AM
I have a Rega Planar 3 turntable, with RB 300 tonearm. Its a really well respected and desireable vintage turntable. The Cartridge i have on at the moment, is an Ortofon 2M Red, which cost me about £100 ($168 US)
Old 05-02-2014, 10:08 AM   #20
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:51 AM
I forgot to mention, that the phono stage i use is a Cambridge Audio 640P
Old 05-02-2014, 10:09 AM   #21
45:33

Local Time: 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gump View Post
Do not plug it in until you have the transformer. You could burn your record player depending on the voltage.
I'm not even really sure what a transformer is... is it simply a plug that I can put the American cord into and then into the Australian power point? Or is it something different?
Old 05-02-2014, 10:16 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
I'm not even really sure what a transformer is... is it simply a plug that I can put the American cord into and then into the Australian power point? Or is it something different?
Electric currents are 120V in the US, and 240V in Australia. So the electric "engine" of your turntable is set for the US current, and the transformer will basically ensure that you can use it in the higher voltage current in Australia without damaging your equipment (I'm sure there's a better technical explanation, but this is how I make sense of it).

Some electronic equipment (computers, for example) are generally built to accomodate anything between 120V and 240V, but it may not be the case with your turntable (you can look at the specifications to make sure).
Old 05-02-2014, 10:31 AM   #23

Cool, thanks for the help. I think I'll go to an electronics store of some sort just to have all my bases covered before I fire it up. I need to get a US-to-AUS power adapter anyway. The guy at Amoeba did mention that I can upgrade certain parts of the turntable if I wish to, so that's good.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:11 PM   #24
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 06:51 PM
Quote:
this is what they look like:

this is a us-uk one, but still, the only difference in looks will be the plug itself. it's still a big, ugly black box. i think the cost is maybe $30-40.

and yeah, if it turns out that you do need a step-down transformer, you can always choose to take it some place and they'll swap out the power supply so it'll run on the proper australian voltage.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:16 PM   #25
Blue Crack Supplier

Remind me why you people live down there again?
Old 05-11-2014, 11:39 PM   #26
Refugee

So I want to get a new receiver/speaker setup, but I'm fairly inexperienced with the technical aspects. So I wanted to make sure this receiver:

Yamaha RX V375 Home Theater Surround Sound System 5 1 Channel AV Receiver RXV375 | eBay

is optimal with these speakers:

Premium 5.1-Ch. Home Theater System with Subwoofer - Monoprice.com
Old 05-12-2014, 02:58 PM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

I'm not familiar with that speaker brand so I can't speak to quality but it certainly seems like they will handle that receiver.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:21 PM   #28
Refugee

Thanks! I read about them in this article:

A Good Surround System | The Wirecutter
Old 05-22-2014, 01:25 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Is it really so bad to have a player that's weighted a little heavily? I have the low-end Audio Technica which seems to be the most well liked entry level player and it sounds great and plays things back flawlessly, but I also can't help notice that the arm is too good.

For example, I have a copy of Flashdance that is literally as warped as you could imagine to still be playable and it literally has no problem doing so without skipping which is something I figure most other players would crap out at almost instantly. Same for some other $1 to $2 records that turned out to be concave on one side. Obviously, there's the fear that having the arm bearing down real heavily will eat away at the records, but I haven't noticed anything similar to that of the naysayers of this player's warnings (audiophiles who don't even own it) who say that it will surely start flaking up bits of plastic on the needle. Obviously, I don't want to damage my records, but I also don't mind potentially risking it a little in order to have such great playback.

Thoughts?
Old 06-29-2014, 04:11 AM   #30

So this is more complicated than I thought it would be, but after visiting an electronics store today I think all I need to get it up and running is a transformer and speakers that have RCA sockets. It already has a pre-amp and a counterweight and a needle. The bloke at the store was telling me I needed an amplifier, but my housemate, who has a similar model, says I don't actually need one. Obviously I'll get one down the road when I've got a bit of money saved up, but I should be able to have it set up with my little speakers in my room this week which is cool