Turntables/Stereo/Audiophile Questions and Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm worried again. So I was planning to buy a 240v-110v step-down transformer today, but the bloke at the shop is worried about the differences in frequency. The turntable I've got is an AC motor and is 60hz ... the step-down transformers all operate at 50hz. Apparently it would work with a DC motor but not AC. The bloke at the shop reckons it would affect the speed, while this site seems to suggest it won't work at all frequency

:( I might have to sell it on ebay and buy one here what a fucking ordeal.

I've decided it's time to invest in a way to actually listen to all the vinyls I've accumulated over the years. I'm pretty much set on getting a Audio-Technica AT-LP60-USB turntable. I can't decide what to do about the speakers though.

I have an old Samsung surround sound system that I could replace with something like the Pioneer SP-BK22BS Andrew Jones Designed or I invest in a small amp and bookshelf speakers (looking at Lepai Tripath TA2020 and Dayton B652). I like a good sound but I don't have particularly great ears to pick up the audiophile type nuances. What's the consensus of listening to records through a surround sound system?
Right now I listen to music through my sennheiser headphones most of the time, but I want to invest in a decent system.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Bookshelf speakers it is, thx guys. I ordered a couple more vinyls of my favourite albums. This is going to be expensive

i guess this is the best place to ask this: what is everyone's thoughts on beats headphones*? i know they're considered to be wildly overpriced and all that. i'd normally never buy a pair. but i just bought a macbook pro and it came with a free pair of beats solo 2 headphones. if they've got good sound i'll think about keeping them, otherwise i might just sell them or something.

*of course, i checked google first but some sites give it 3/5, some 4/5, and so on. basically i don't know what would be considered the definitive site to look at for reviews to take their reviews to heart moreso than the other places.

I think the consensus is that you can get much better products for that price (same is generally true for Bose). Grados and Sennheisers often offer the best quality/price ratio. I've never tried the beats headphones, though, so this is based on reading and researching on the internet. But you've got them for free, so I guess it depends on how much you would be able to sell them for.

Sell your Beats and buy some Audio Technica M50Xs. Pocket the rest and pay a bill or something. Really, Beats have such ridiculous low end that they just wind up muddy.

I'm no audiophile but I didn't much care for them. They don't sound great, and I found them uncomfortable. I'd get some sennheiser for the same price, much better sound.

Back
Top Bottom